The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Been Fishing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Been Fishing
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2017 01:51 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been down with the flu for the better part of a month, but the day before I got so sick I had a real fun afternoon of fishing. Yes it is as cold as it looks and I had to constantly remove ice from the guides on my fishing rod, but it was all worth it. Anyway, just trying to give you guys a little glimpse into life in Montana.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1LAxSpI34U

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 06:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing, Troy. Hope you are feeling better, now?

What is that thing you have strapped on, is it a life vest or something for water? What is it?

Also, what's the technique? Fast, slow retrieve? Or are you jerking it sideways, letting it sink, or what do you mean by "jigging"? Were you changing colors?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 08:36 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had some crap for a week now, had to miss three days of work. Slowly getting better ?

A month is a long time amigo. I hope your on the mend by now ? Yep sure enjoyed the video. Winter fishing can be fun. If it's not to cold of course !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 08:57 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, whole family and everyone at work has been sick as heck. Some crappy shit going around. I've had it for a couple weeks, just now getting up and running at full steam.

Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 09:52 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Same here wife got it then the daughter, @ work it's like who's gonna show up today ?

Around here it's "viral bronchitis" doctor says lots of rest & fluids. That's it. The wife did get some good cough syrup though, it will knock ya on your ass !!

I have snow to get off my roof, tons of shit to do. Just can't do it !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 10:02 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Any specific jig you might recommend from Kit's Tackle for trout or bass?

After seeing a couple of your jig vid's, I'm thinking of adding a few to the tackle box. Not many use them around here for trout, that I've noticed anyway.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 12:33 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
In my senior years, Ive become a pussy I suppose. I wouldn't fish in that cold country for a million bucks....you can have that shit.
I like being in shorts and a tee shirt, catching 20 pound AJs to stock the freezer with. Something for everyone in this country, that's for sure, but no cold for me.

Posts: 1628 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 06:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I mostly agree with that, but admit that the Eastern Sierra opener is sometimes brutally cold and it's just something you have to put up with. Like Troy said, when your eyelets freeze up, it gets progressively harder to crank. So, what I do is dip the whole rod in the water and it usually melts the ice almost immediately. Then, the fish freeze as soon as you land them, in a frozen net. I forget the elevation at Crowley, must be over 6,000 and Convict is (guess) 8,000ft. I have endured blizzards on opening day, no fun at all. But, sometimes the reward is pretty spectacular fishing. Like a limit in 20-30 minutes, if that's your thing?

What's an AJ? Do you mean Amberjack? Those are rare, out here.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 15, 2017 08:37 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
In this part of the world, steelhead fishing is a big draw. People will gladly spend thousands of dollars on a aluminum jet boat to catch a few steelhead. Hot fishing is considered 10-12 hours a fish! We are talking about fish in the 6-15 pound range.

When it's 25 degrees and windy, you'll see those suckers out there fishing. I can't even wrap my mind around it.

But it doesn't bother me a bit to grab a rifle and traipse around the hills looking for a coyote or two in the snow and cold.

To each his own, I guess?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2017 06:18 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, sounds like a lot of folks have been down with some kind of bug or another. All I know is, next year I will get the dang flu shot as this bout with the flu was miserable.

Leonard, I was wearing a fishing vest. I keep all my tackle in it and that way I can stay mobile and I don't have to lug around a tackle box. As for how I jig that's all explained in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOJGqtHPsk&t=8s

Lonny, I mostly fish 1/8 oz jigs, but in the video I was using 1/4 oz because of the strong current. My favorite patterns are Firetiger or Black in 1/8 oz. I've done really well with both and probably could get away with just those two color patterns. However I've also had some luck with black and red, olive and black that imitates a sculpin, and brown and orange which is more of a crawdad pattern. If people learn how to use marabou jigs and really give them an effort they'll be amazed at what they are able to catch. I may not catch huge numbers of fish (although I do get quite a few), but the size of the fish have definitely increased. The bigger fish tend to be more prone to hitting the jigs than little fish.

As for the cold, it doesn't bother me. I'm a coyote hunting in Montana, cold is what we do up here.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 16, 2017 03:52 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but there's 'out in the hills' cold and then there's 'out on the water' cold.
Two different animals entirely !!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2017 04:41 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
When the fish are biting or the coyotes are charging in hard, I really don't notice the cold much.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2017 06:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I could say that! I'm a total pussy when it comes to cold weather. Yes, I have experienced it, but I notice it.

Truthfully, hunting in bluebird conditions is perfect for me. I can even tolerate 100 degrees, if I have to, but cold weather just doesn't appeal to me.

Some of the coldest I have ever experienced was (believe it or not) ice skating at night when I was a kid in Minnesota. It got to the point where I couldn't even feel my feet. Just stupid. I'm pretty sure I damaged those capillaries a long time ago and, they say, and I believe it, that these capillaries die and you never really recover. In fact, I always wondered how birds, with bare feet and claws could endure freezing temperatures. I can't "endure" it with sub-zero mukluks! But, I will say, those "hot pockets" really help!

That's the problem. Extremities, hands and feet. I'm never totally comfortable in extreme cold. I sure wish it was mind over matter but I just don't like it. And, I know exactly what -25 is like. Been there, done that. But I never get to where I don't notice how friggin' cold it is.

Troy, you're my hero! I admit it, I'm a pussy. You know, like on a snow machine, with wind chill, I can tell the difference between 19 and 20 MPH. If it's cold enough, I can tell between 11 and 12MPH. Cold just wears you down, it gives you a headache, don't like it! Freezing to death would be brutal; torture! I'm never going out in that shit ever again, I'll wait 'til it warms up!

I'm upset just thinking about it. EEK !

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2017 10:27 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard you have a few years on me. Perhaps when I get older I'll be more sensitive to cold, but right now it really doesn't bug me much. What I don't do well with is heat. I'm wired for cold, if it gets 80 or more I'm pretty miserable, and I shut right down at 90 and above.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2017 01:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There you go!

You should see all those geezers in Sun City. It get's up in the 120's and they aren't dropping like flies? And, as I have mentioned before, it's kind of funny how many Alberta license plates you see in the Phoenix area in the winter time. Apparently, they have come into quite a bit of oil money up there and can afford to get out of the cold.

It's funny to see them old farts lining up for the specials at Denny's at 4:30, regular as clockwork, then driving home in their golf cart. Yeah, they are even licensed for the street. I bet a lot are refugees from Montana!

I just got disgusted! Why? Because I saw a notice that Obama commuted the sentence of Chelsia Manning, the little freak that stole all those secret documents. Perfect! Look at the deals that Trump is working on compared to Obama. I see he let 11 more terrorists out of Gitmo yesterday.

Oops, got little off topic again, sorry!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 17, 2017 02:59 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I've just pretty much completely tuned out everything Obummer does anymore. He's almost gone and there is likely nothing he can do before he leaves that I would like. The best thing he will do this week is LEAVE! I'm not sure Trump is the best answer, but everything about Obummer irritates me. There are a few things I do like about Trump though. One is how he loves to needle the press and democrats. Sometimes he sounds like an idiot, but sometimes he hits them right between the eyes. It's nice to have someone that doesn't just sit passively by and never holds the media accountable.
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2017 01:02 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't mind fishing in the cold. I always enjoy a few days of ice fishing each winter. And it can easily get below zero. I'm with Troy its the damn heat that really gets to me. I was at a family reunion last Sept. In St. George and it was around 103 degrees and I was just plain miserable.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2017 05:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Takes all kinds. But, I thought you were tougher than that, Chad?

Just kidding. Actually, my dearly departed wife was no fan of a hot climate. Especially the tropics. Every time we went to the Caribbean, or southern Mexico or Hawaii, she had to take some kind of water pills because her lower legs would get all red and splotchy. A lot of that had to do with humidity + heat.

See that's why San Diego has the best climate in the world. It's like whoever it was with the three bears; the porridge is not to hot and not to cold, but just right! History lesson for today.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2017 05:56 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, Hawaii isn't too bad either. Ohau's average temperature year round is 80 degrees. Most people visit there in the winter, but my wife and I like to go in the summer because it's actually cooler than it is here in Montana in July half the time. Plus there are a lot less tourists in the summer.

UTCaller, I went to a year of college at Dixie in St. George. I was just glad I didn't have to spend the summer there. I don't think I would have survived! It was real nice in December and January though. [Smile]

[ January 18, 2017, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: ursus21 ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2017 09:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The Hawaiian Islands have one of the most pleasant climates in the entire world. I love it, I don't care which one, they are all perfect. I tilt towards Maui, if I must choose. Just too bad the Democrats control everything over there.

As far as perfect or most desirable time, or the season to visit, you can't hardly go wrong, it's all good. As far as I am concerned, (and I have visited just about all of the seasons) I have yet to perceive a bad season. Who are they kidding? Don't worry about it go with the best deal or go when you can get away, the seasons are such a minor issue, it must be a joke, IMHO.

Yes, I'm a big fan! But the Caribbean (in season) is actually a little nicer. If you are worried about leaving America, just go to Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands. Talk about a cool place to live, St John, Charlotte Amalle! That way you are still in America and aren't giving your money to asshole foreign countries.

That's my speed! You can keep freezing your ass off, visit some tropical paradise. And, fishing is world class too. FYI, they say Portugal has some of the largest Marlin in the world, maybe Kona is second?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 18, 2017, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2017 09:52 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Darn your hide. Now you got me day dreaming over things that are out of reach right at the moment. [Smile]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2017 10:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....tell me about it!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters