The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » browsing Bass Proshops yesterday

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: browsing Bass Proshops yesterday
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2017 06:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Parking lot was half empty, due to the rain. Kalifornicans are like snowflakes, they don't go out in the rain if they can help it. Morning commute in a drizzle is fender bender time.

Anyway, I was looking at the handguns, specifically, because of a write up in Guns and Ammo, I wondered if they might have a Ruger LCR in 327 Federal? Nope. They had about four, but not that one.

So, while nosing around I happened to see a stack of 22 long rifle behind the counter. How many? Don't know, but the stack was about 2 ft. wide and at least a foot high, and a foot deep. In other words, quite a few. (CCI)

Out in the aisles, an assortment of 17 rimfires but the only 22's was a few Eley's.

So, last week they had a shitpot of Federal 22's, and this week, CCI's, but behind the counter where, (I guess?) you would have to ask?

What does this have to do with President Trump? I don't know but like magic, suddenly the scarce 22 rimfires appear to be available.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2017 07:48 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
LB, I didn't know about the .327 in the LCR. I have one in a Smith revolver. I absolutely love it. It is a stout little cartridge. A local meat processor tells me it's the only cartridge he uses for the kill floor. Says it is better on hogs than anything he has ever used. Apparently hog heads are hard to penetrate. According to him anyway. He kills enough to know.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2017 08:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting about hogs being hard headed? They must be Democrats?

But, I don't know if Farmer John gets back to Wyoming, or not? It is a well known brand here in The People's Republik and they make good product, basically Pork.

Anyway, I had an in depth tour of the plant in Vernon some years ago. The way they process hogs is to give them a 600 volt jolt right between the eyes and snatch a leg as it goes right into a boiling water bath, the purpose of which is to cause the hair to fall off.

Anyway, with the beef kill floors I have seen, they use a 25 caliber piston driven between the horns, which, again, is a stun device, doesn't kill them because they want the heart to beat and the blood to be pumped out.

But, there doesn't seem to be any importance to pumping blood from the hog carcass since I guess they are drowned in hot water, but I didn't get a real good look at that part.

You want to see something disturbing, watch cattle Kosher killed, by a couple Rabi's. Geez, they use what looks a lot like a small sword and just cut, (saw through) the throat as neatly and completely as OJ Simpson did to Nicole. And, the cattle scream bloody murder, quite literally. It's not for the timid. "Sickening" is a more appropriate word.

Production line slaughter by any means is disturbing for a lot of people, even the chickens.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: ....but yeah, that LCR in 327Fed is a very interesting little piece. I guess they ask just under $700, which seems a little steep but I'm interested. I worry about availability of ammo?

[ January 12, 2017, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2017 12:33 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the .327 but I have a Ruger LCP .380 and just love the Hell out of it.
In a Sneaky Pete holster, it's 'always there'.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2017 05:51 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Koko,
Tell me about your Sneaky Pete...they look like the bee's knees for the LCP.

My brother in law has one, but I don't think he wears his.

I am really considering getting that holster.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2017 06:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Afraid I don't know what a LCP is? If LCR is revolver, maybe LCP means blank, blank, pistol?

Anyway, I called 4 gun shops yesterday looking for a LCR in 327Federal. Two said they aren't even listed, one said their supplier has 4 of them and the other didn't call me back when I left a message.

The problem. The one that said they can get them is 90 miles away and they require a 20% down payment to even order it. Full list price $670.

Just dawned on me? Today, I think I will try BassProShops? when it comes down to ordering, might as well pick one close by.

I was thinking the same thing when I watched an hour long commercial for Henry Rifles. I mean, I'm all hi tech and all, but they seem to make a slick lever action rifle for jerking around; it's not a serious firearm in some respects, more nostalgia than anything. I don't really "need" a Henry Rifle.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2017 06:57 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Booger;
Very happy with the Sneaky Pete.
I got the nylon model and it passes for a smart phone case.

El Bee;
LCP = Lightweight Compact Pistol.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2017 09:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
OK, TY. Can we assume the LCR means Lightweight Compact Revolver? As I understand it, it's a polymer and Aluminum frame with steel cylinder and barrel (sleeve?) I'm not even sure if it holds 5 or 6 rounds?

It had a very interesting writeup in either Guns and Ammo or American Hunter?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2017 10:04 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
The .327 is Rugers attempt to re-invent the wheel. It is essentially a slightly longer H&R.32 magnum cartridge.
The upshot is, if the .327 goes tits up the way of the dinosaur, at least a guy can shoot .32 mag cartridges in it with no ill effect.
Another slight regret, I owned a pristine S&W M16 4" .32 mag, great little revolver....wished I had kept that one, but I remember getting 700 bucks for it and thinking I cut a fat hog....they go for way over that now, but Im sure it paid for something else I wanted at the time?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2017 01:21 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
With an 85 grain bullet @1300 fps, the .327 Federal has nice ballistics. I hope the cartridge thrives.

The Ruger LCP is a pocket pistol in .380 ACP. Mine is the original version that weighs 9.5 ounces. The newer version is an ounce heavier.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2017 04:55 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, Vic. You have traded and bartered for so many firearms, you must have supplied half of eastern Arizona, at one time or another?

You know, except for a few regrets, I still have damned near every gun I ever owned.

Unlike Victor C. At one time he might have owned and sold damned near every firearm worth having, at least within a 100 miles of McNeal. As they say, all cash transactions, no records, and, (of course) it never happened.

Make that 300 miles, or how far is it between Tucson and El Paso? He's a dad burned horse trader, for sure and I bet he profits no matter which end of the deal he's on. Don't bother denying it.

But, I know what you are doing. I mentioned to him one time that I was interested in a Beretta M9. He shut me down with one word! He said; WHY? Chopped me down at the knees, I lost all interest in a M9, ever since.

So, he says:
quote:
The .327 is Rugers attempt to re-invent the wheel.
Ain't gonna work this time, Amigo! I'm impressed with the performance of the 327Fed. in spite of your expert opine. [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: oh, and 49. I own a real pocket pistol. I love my Seecamp!

[ January 13, 2017, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 13, 2017 07:11 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I can probably count on one hand the number of times I turned any kind of significant profit on a firearm. They surely are not an "investment" tool. I traded and bought/sold for pure enjoyment of owning and shooting them, never figuring I was going to turn a profit, if I did, good on me, but that was never the impetus.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2017 03:34 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
The Seecamp! That's a .32 ACP, I believe?

My LCP rides on my ankle every day at work. It isn't much gun, but is comforting to know that it's there as a backup.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2017 08:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
#1, I could be wrong about Victor's ability to turn a profit? Something else motivates him, which is ok. <shrug>

#2 yes, it's 32ACP, the 380 model isn't California approved, or maybe Seecamp hasn't gotten around to designing it, don't know? The issue is lack of a manual safety. I'm surprised they get away with NO SIGHTS?

I did read, that someone, somewhere, did some kind of study that said; the 32ACP w/hollow point bullets was equal to 45ACP FMJ. That seems a little hard to believe, I know, but there it is. I also know that both Tojo and Hitler shot themselves with a puny little 32ACP, so that's an endorsement you can take seriously.

I will tell you one thing, the Scamp in 32auto is a friggin' handful! Recoil wise. The 380ACP model, if you can find it, is $300 more, and I don't know if I would do much recreational shooting with that puppy? The 32 already makes a pussy out of me. I guarantee, you won't like shooting it! It's more like a 357Mag with full house loads, and that's no shit!

Anyway, it's a neat little gun.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: California has decreed that no handgun will be approved for sale in this state unless it has a safety. I'm not sure if revolvers are exempt or not? So, I have the "California Edition". My point is, I kinda like the safety, which I surprise myself. The thing is, this gun is double action only and the trigger pull is so deliberate that (for the life of me) I can't see why the safety is needed, much less required? As far as I am concerned, it is very much the same as just about any double action revolver. I don't know what the trigger pull is, but if I were to take a guess, it might be 15/20 pounds....a lot!

[ January 14, 2017, 08:34 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2017 09:02 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a little Fraser .25 that I would not sell for anything mostly because of its lineage , it looks like a table lighter if anyone remembers back when anyone actually smoked and in the house no less.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 14, 2017 10:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The 25 ACP Frasier is striker fired, whereas the Seecamp has a hammer. A 25 loaded with Glasers will definitely sting! I sure as hell wouldn't want to get hit by one. The sights are a joke, probably just to satisfy some legal requirement? A guy could file them off in ten minutes, if concerned that they might snag on something. But it has a good safety and is a lot more accessible than the triggarguard safety on the Seecamp. Either one can be concealed in even an average sized male hand.

But, a miniature gun of this sort does have limited application, no doubt. It appeals to a female that is skittish about guns, I guess because they are kinda cute? They look ore like a toy that a deadly device. Actually, I know a guy that shot himself with a 25. He survived, he's actually a couple years older than me and he did it when he was about 20? He had just left his girlfriend and for some reason noticed some sort of activity and went back to check it out. There was his girlfriend in a car with one of his buddies and they were paying no attention to him. He went back to his car and shot himself behind the ear. He recovered but has some problems, vision, etc. I'm pretty sure he has regrets, but is probably happy that he didn't pick up a 38, at the time. He must have really liked the chick? I know both guys, but not the girlfriend. They are not chummy, however. Wayne and I were on swimming team, he was very buff, nobody to mess with. Into antique cars, fortunately he inherited considerable money because he's not really able to work, a wasted life, due to some disabilities and I always thought it was a total shame. What makes somebody do things like that? I'll never understand it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters