The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » H.R. 367, the Hearing Protection Act (HPA).

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: H.R. 367, the Hearing Protection Act (HPA).
JP
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2017 02:09 PM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
Congressman Jeff Duncan (SC), Co-Chair of the Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus (CSC), along with CSC Member Congressman John “Judge” Carter (TX) introduced H.R. 367, the Hearing Protection Act (HPA).

Joining the primary sponsors on this bill are 43 original cosponsors including CSC Co-Chair Congressman Gene Green (TX), CSC Vice-Chair Congressman Austin Scott (GA) and many other members of the bipartisan CSC.

“I’ve enjoyed the shooting sports since I was a young child – beginning with plinking with a .22 rifle and dove hunting with my dad. My hearing has been damaged because of gun noise. Had I had access to a suppressor, it may have protected me, as well as millions of other Americans, from this sort of hearing loss,” said Rep. Duncan.

“This is a health issue even recognized in Europe. It just doesn’t make any sense to regulate suppressors the way we do presently. I think it certainly is questionable from a constitutional standpoint. It’s striking that even Britain, which has some of the strictest gun laws in the world, has no restrictions on suppressors.“

Also known as silencers, suppressors are the hearing protection of the 21st century sportsman.

Despite common Hollywood-based misconceptions, no suppressor will ever be able to render gunfire silent. Suppressors are simply mufflers for firearms, which function by trapping the expanding gasses at the muzzle, allowing them to slowly cool in a controlled environment. On average, suppressors reduce the noise of a gunshot by 20-35 decibels (dB), roughly the same sound reduction as earplugs or earmuffs. In addition to hearing protection, suppressors also mitigate noise complaints from those who live near shooting ranges and hunting lands.

“For the past five years, the Congressional Sportsmen’s Foundation (CSF) has worked alongside the state legislative sportsmen’s caucuses in the National Assembly of Sportsmen’s Caucuses, the American Suppressor Association, and many other partners at the state level to normalize the use of suppressors throughout the nation,” said CSF President Jeff Crane.

“We’ve seen tremendous bipartisan support for firearm suppressors at the state level, and we look forward to working with the bipartisan CSC in the 115th Congress to prioritize the advancement of this common sense legislation.”

The Duncan-Carter Hearing Protection Act is bipartisan legislation that will provide America’s sportsmen and women with easier access to firearm suppressors by removing them from the scope of the National Firearms Act (NFA), replacing the outdated federal transfer process with an instantaneous NICS background check. In doing so, law-abiding citizens will remain able to purchase suppressors, while prohibited persons will continue to be barred from purchasing or possessing them.

The HPA also includes a provision to refund the $200 transfer tax to applicants who purchase a suppressor after October 22, 2015, which was the original date of introduction

Posts: 150 | From: So AZ | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2017 03:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is common sense legislation. If Hillary had won, it wouldn't have a prayer.

As it is, I'm not confident that the Liberals won't find a way to grandstand the bill and defeat it. Barring that, I'm sure they will slow walk it because it has something to do with firearms and therefore, BAD.

So, rolling back a stupid $200 tax is one thing but something needs to be done about the prohibitive cost of suppressers. I can't understand why something so basic should cost $1200?

I understand there is engineering involved but I am sure in this case, it's a matter of, whatever the traffic will bear. As soon as people start buying these gadgets in large measure, the competition has got to force the cost and the prices into reasonable territory. Hopefully....as they say?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2017 05:24 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you will see a drastic price decrease in suppressors if the HPA is passed.....but not right away. As a matter of fact, I think we may see an increase immediately after its implemented due to demand. As far as the $1200 price tag, that is usually for titanium cans. The cost of material and machining contributes to that. Good steel cans today are 50 to 60% of that currently.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2017 05:39 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I was told by a gun plumber that this will pass. It has been brought to vote three times under Obummer and been voted down each time. With the coming changing of the guard in DC, they consider it to be a done deal.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2017 05:54 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard Trump's sons are twisting arms on this in Washington?
Hope it passes.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2017 06:11 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, and the owner of silencerco is head of trumps firearms advisory group. Our ATF agent told me the other day that they fully suspect for this to pass.

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Knows what it's all about
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2017 02:06 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Having shot s suppressor for a number of years now, I can tell you the multiple coyote advantage is minimal above sub-sonic.

The value of a suppressor is in protection of your hearing and minimizing recoil.

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2017 04:57 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I hope you guys are right on this! Just thinkin' if it does pass, how my fascist state might try to stonewall it? Just because allowing cans here would be too good to be true...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 11, 2017 07:06 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Engineering hardly , you can do nearly as well with a oil filter lol.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted January 11, 2017 09:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We used to use the 2 liter soda bottles on 22's. Wonder if that's against the law? Oh well, they will never take me alive!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters