The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » When is it time to hang it up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: When is it time to hang it up?
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2016 10:02 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a guy call me the other day asking if he could hunt on our property for a late-season doe only hunt. I know the guy a bit through a mutual friend and he is an absolutely stand-up character who you would actually welcome to hunt. He is retired, about 65 years-old and from what I know, has hunted for many years

Anyway, I didn't have anything going that morning so I asked if I could tag along with him. He welcomed it and said "You can help me spot'em"

That statement turned out to be quite true because as we hunted that morning I found out this guys vision is not good. He could see deer when he found them through the binos, but not once did he spot deer with just his naked eye and we were within sight of deer many times. In a couple cases, deer were only 100 yards away and he struggled to find them until they would run or move.

To his credit and despite his vision he passed up several shots due to a deer not being perfectly in the open and not broadside.

At one point, before I realized his vision was so poor, I circled through some brush to possibly push a deer out to him. When I cleared the brush I waved to him sitting on the ridge a 100 yards away and he never saw me. That was a bit unnerving.

I know people who have health or walking issues that have given up hunting for the most part. this guy is in great shape though and gets around like a guy half his age. He hunted all fall and didn't connect on a buck, which isn't surprising in the least considering his eyesight. I seriously wonder if he knows how bad his vision is?

You ever had the conversation with yourself when its not safe to be doing it anymore?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2016 10:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, everybody knows their limitations. Well, everybody except your friend. And, it was very generous of you to grant access and accompany him. When you wrote that you stepped out on front of him, I thought, WOW, that could be a mistake!

But, I know exactly the type you were dealing with because I hunted with good old Bob *torey for several years. He probably could have been declared legally blind. It was so frustrating to see a coyote right in front of him and he couldn't even get the rifle pointed in the right direction, while being coached!

And, as I have said before, this guy was a dead shot, benchrest! Won matches!
On the other hand, he thought I was a total God because if we killed 20 animals, I killed them all, no help from him.

You just have to feel sorry for a guy like that. Oh, did I mention that compared to his success with the ladies, he was an absolute expert on game animals. This guy could strike out with a ( what the hell are they called?) Oversexed women? Females invariably ran the other way from his sex appeal. Poor guy, such poor vision I don't know how he ever got a driver's license?

Anyway, main thing was, he was more than half blind. A good, decent fellow, on the other hand, never had a bad word to say about anyone.

Anyway, there are many reasons to "hang it up". Physical limitations covers a lot of ground. My walking is getting pretty bad, I can't hike over yonder mountain without a care in the world anymore. Still trying to figure out how that happened?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31307 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2016 01:08 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like, he just needs glasses?

I figure it will probably be obvious for me. Just going by how the men in my family have mostly all gone. Not long lived. Heart attacks, cancer, strokes etc. Fine one week, not hunting ever again the next.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2016 02:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong, (in my case) Ol' Bob wore the standard issue coke bottle lenses, and pink tinted, the ones that are a sure "Chick Magnet".

But Dave. Don't be a defeatist. My cousin Mike, his parents both died of heart attacks in their 30's! So he was always the devil may care type figuring he wouldn't last long. Very attractive wife but he still got more ass than a public toilet.

He just died earlier this year at 72, wasn't cheated by much. So, you might fool the grim reaper the same way. Hopefully. In other words, only The Lord knows the plan for you. (I know your feelings about the Almighty; humor me!)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2016 02:47 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I just ate at Taco Bell...I feel like I'm dying already.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2016 04:59 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking an eye exam sure as hell couldn't hurt in his case? If I knew the guy a bit better, I might hint at seeing an eye doc.

Kind a strange in my mind that he still goes hunting when he must realize he can't see that well? And maybe that was why he didn't shoot even when he did have a shot.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2016 06:37 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I've got an uncle that is 79 and yet elk hunted once again this fall. My fur buyer tells me of an 80 y/o that he's buying coyotes from this year that is still going strong.
I think the answer as to when to hang it up is different for everyone. BUT, with those two examples that I mention, gives me hope that I got another 30 years to go.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2016 08:16 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
About 5 years ago I was hunting with a friend of mine that is about 11 years younger than me. He spotted a herd of deer about 450-500 yards away. I could see them through my binoculars, but I couldn't for the life of me see them without the binos. All I could see was dark images, but not well enough to define them as deer. Just looked like small cedar trees to me and that's what I thought they were. So I turned to him and said; "Can you see those deer clearly with your eyes?" He replied back that he could. It drove me nuts. I had no idea my eyesight was that bad. Shortly thereafter I went to the eye doctor and got Lasik surgery. My eyesight is now better than it's ever been in my life 15/20, which is actually better than the 20/20 standard. My coyote kills shot through the roof the next few years. All this to say that if my eyesight was that bad at 47 years old, I can only imagine what that 65 year old guys eyesight is like. A trip to the eye doctor could open a whole new world for him just like it did for me. The surgery btw was one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life!
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2016 09:31 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess my thought is just go like hell until you can't go anymore. Nobody knows when that will be. PERIOD.... My Dad is a good example of that. He would go with us calling whenever we went. Always excited to get after them. Until about 5 years ago. He will be 75 years old soon. I always bragged that my Dad could keep up with us even in his late 60's. Then he had a real medical setback and he hasn't been the same. Has no stamina and doesn't do much anymore. Best we can do is hunt hard until we can't anymore, I also remember how hard he worked just a few years ago on his farm and that to is over. Like my Dad always says "I can't hunt anymore but I still have some great memories of past hunts that I reflect on".

[ December 13, 2016, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1555 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2016 10:52 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
^^^Yes.
Mark

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2016 12:45 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Not having my memories scares me way more than dying. Seen enough old folks don't recognize their own husband or wife, or their own kids, or their own house. I'd rather have a shitty two year cancer deal and die from it than live for a long time not even knowing who the fuck I am.

That is what really scares me.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2016 12:46 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, your dad sounds like a very practical man? Others are hard headed, or like that line in the movie: "A man has to know his limitations", but I don't know if that was from a Clint Eastwood or Quentin Tarantino movie?

I don't know my limitations, especially I still think I can wop most any man my size. Used to, anyway? Same with cards, I think I'm the best damned poker player since The Cincinnati Kid. Either that, or I just need to grow up.

Just kidding, of course. Don't take me serious, I'm full of shit.
But, a few years ago....
Good hunting. El Bee

edit: You aren't the only one that feels that way, Dave. It's very common amongst the elderly.

[ December 13, 2016, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2016 01:00 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
You said it Dave...I spent 4 years taking care of my grandmother with alzheimers. Cancer is bad...but this shit has got to be to most insidious disease of all. Very scary and very sad.

I was truly grateful when she passed. It aint no way to live.
Mark

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2016 01:03 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh don't get me wrong Leonard my Dad is one hard headed some of a bitch. And if he thought he could get out there even for an hour he would do it. But physically he just can't do it. Went over to sportsman warehouse with him to look around and after a half hour you'd have thought he ran a marathon.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2016 07:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Chad, I'm looking for a partner that's a half a step slower. than the young bucks.

Your dad sounds about my speed. Does he know it all, by any chance, and can he still shoot a rifle?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 13, 2016 07:34 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Man he'd love that more than you know. I don't know about knowing it all but yeah he can still shoot.
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 19, 2016 05:29 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Timely post. Just a while back, I was laughing at how hard it was getting to go out like I once did and realized that I had finally reached the point in life where I recall some of you talking about scaling back on your hunting.

I'm only 52 which, by most of your standards, ain't old yet, and I don't necessarily feel old so much as I feel used up. I've had three knee surgeries and my ortho doc is using the term knee replacements more often. Except, if I do that, I no longer have a job. Post office won't assume responsibility for re-replacing knees. So, I have to wait until I'm eligible for retirement in just shy of four years. I am not looking forward to the next four years because even now, I look like a new born foal standing for the first time every morning when I climb out of bed. Three or four steps, and an audible pop you can hear in the next room as my knees realign and I'm good enough to go. Not much cartilage in them anymore. Doc's gone to injecting me with steroids every three months now. Shots aren't bad. Feel great for three weeks. Hurt like a bitch in both knees for the next nine waiting for the next round.

Feet are trashed. Doc wants to cut the tendons in the bottoms of my feet. Says I'll feel much better. Eeegads.

Have shots in neck and lower back as needed. Stenosis up and down my back makes my legs numb and weak. Lower legs scream when I climb hills, like when hunting.

Hunted with Q in NE back in November. After the first day, I sadly came to accept that this would be my last trip up there. Too hard on my legs and knees. The meds I take for pain make me short of breath and I just don't feel like dying in the middle of bum Fuck Egypt.

Had lab work for an insurance physical two months ago. Triglycerides 4X what they should max out at. Probably genetics because everything else looked great except for some liver damage from a bout of hepatitis in college, and possibly from a drug I'm on, but that number is scary.

Everything hurts like a bitch. I had one surgery this summer, my gunner Kevin had three, all related to hunting wear and tear. Our current criteria for a honey hole is one where we can drive to the dead coyote. I could sure use a walker to help me stand up after every stand. If I slip and either knee bends past 90-degrees, I'm shitting nekid babies. Shit that hurts. I just fall back to the ground and swear a lot until it settles down.

Kevin had a wrestling tournament to coach Sunday so, with it being so damned cold, I opted to stay home. Neither his wife or mine like to see us out and about alone. Calling has become a game for us where you stick close to your battle buddy or you don't go out. Got to thinking of all the places I run around where no one would find me for days, even in Kansas. Most of you guys' areas are far more remote.

Never thought I would step back from what I love doing so much, but I am. Today, I made eight stands on easy access spots. Killed a double and a single, out of six called. Drove to pick up every carcass. Have even passed on shots because I didn't wanna have to carry the damn thing back to the truck or skin it and leaving a good pelt to rot pets me wrong.

Sucks getting older.

[ December 19, 2016, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2016 07:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, Lance. You'd better grease the skids on that rocker. My uncle was that way, he had a live in nurse but his excuse was he was a paraplegic. Lots of starlets used to visit him at the Veterans hospital, climb in bed with him, naked. One I recognized was Agent 99 from Get Smart.

So, if they have an Old Mailman Home out there, you should check into it. Nothing like naked chicks snuggling up to you in a hospital bed. From the sound of it, all you could do is the wide eyed photo opp, kinda like those lap dances I've been hearing about? They even will polish your knob under the sheets for twenty bucks. I'm sure you remember what that's like?

Uh huh, stick a fork in it, you're done!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters