The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Wyoming ADC plane crash...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wyoming ADC plane crash...
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2016 12:59 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Not good...

Link to story.

Just happened a couple hours ago. No names. Texted a friend that works for WS and lives in Worland, no reply yet. He doesn't do county work, so I'm not thinking he was in the crash, but I'm sure he knows who was.

Half afraid it's going to be somebody some of us know... Like, I'm betting Scott and Cal probably know them, or at least of them.

Not good...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2016 02:33 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
No Bueno.

Hope it isn't anyone some of us may know involved.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2016 06:18 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang that is a sad deal.

The F&G department in these parts has seriously cut back on helicopter and airplane flights to do critter counts. In the last 15 years there has been at least 3 crashes and at least 3 employees have been killed along with pilots.

One fisheries guy I knew really well. Great guy. Apparently in his crash, an aluminum clip board fell out of the copter and hit the tail rotor. All three aboard were killed about a minute after taking off.

Flying low and looking for animals in rough terrain is dangerous business.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2016 08:17 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a pretty horrible driver in part because I'm always looking for animals while I drive. I have greatly tried to curb the habit but spotting critters is kind of like a drug. I love doing it; I have almost wrecked many times because I've taken my eyes off the road for just a couple of seconds at a time. I can't even begin to think how dangerous it could be - a guy like me trying to fly a plane. Holy smokes!! Spooky. I know we don't know why or how the plane crashed yet but Lonny's comment sure got me thinking!! Yikes. I am sure the pilots do everything they can to keep himself and the shooter safe. It just seems like an altogether dangerous thing to do regardless of how safe one is...it is a super sad story and I hope and pray it was no one we know.

Does Cal' do aerial shotgunning?!?!

[ December 08, 2016, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2016 10:54 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I think everyone is kinda hoping he shows up and sheds a little light on this story if possible.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2016 12:51 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that is a really sad deal. Hope its not somebody we know. But whoever it is my prayers to the families involved.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2016 04:34 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Shit, man.
NOT good, at all...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2016 06:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on, Cal. He must be preoccupied? That right there tells me he knows who and what the circumstances.

Yeah, it's dangerous, no doubt but truthfully, I'd love to try it!

Good hunting. El Bee

PS death by clipboard? That's a new one on me! Although I know of a situation involving a quart of milk falling off the consul and wedging under the pedals.

[ December 09, 2016, 06:11 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 09, 2016 08:48 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
It appears Cal' is safe!!!

http://k2radio.com/authorities-release-name-of-man-killed-in-northwestern-wyomin g-plane-crash/

Leonard must be right!! Cal must be preoccupied! Not knowing sure was scary!! Such a sad story, man. 34 year old man (just a kid) died!! [Frown]

[ December 09, 2016, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2016 09:01 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I heard about this and came here to make sure it was not Cal. no further info?

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 10, 2016 12:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing to consider, Cal lives in Gillette which is way over in extreme northeastern Wyoming and these men were flying way over on the other side, northwestern Wyoming, and the injured man is in a hospital in Montana, so they were several hundred miles away from where Cal works. Still, all considered, pretty close to home, ya know?

All our condolences to the families.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2016 08:02 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a bad deal. Of course its a pretty small world for the ADC guys so most everybody knows everybody. The young man that was killed was hired by WS about the same time as I was and we attended the Wildlife Services aerial gunning school in Cedar City Utah together a few years ago. We drove down together and it has been his mission all along to be a pilot for WS. He gunned for a couple years while getting all qualified to be a pilot. The gunner that day is also one of the long time pilots for the program and is a veteran of the program and of course well known by all of us. The details of the wreck aren't really public and shouldn't be I suppose. The location is just over the Bighorns to the west of me, so not in my area, but not that far away. Billings MT is the closest big hospital with serious trauma capabilities to all of us in northern WY and again, not too far away. 3 hour drive or probably 45 minutes by lifeflight helicopter. That's close by our standards up here as remote as we are. Danger in low level flying is part of the deal if you choose to fly or be a gunner for the job. Nobody is required to do either. I have done quite a bit of it, but not near as much as some. I don't mind it and am capable but never really "enjoyed" it. Some guys do. Kind of like people that want to sky dive or climb mountains. I'm sure I could parachute out of a plane if I was in the military and it was part of the job, but I'm not a thrill seeker that would do it for "fun" on a regular basis. I don't like roller coasters and things like that either. I can ride one without being to worried about it, I just don't enjoy it like some do. I'm getting old enough that I know or knew several people that have been killed aerial hunting for coyotes. But hell, I know way more killed in auto accidents or by cancer and the like so I guess you have to look at it like , when it's your turn, there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2016 09:41 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for your loss of a friend Cal.

Relieved to know you are safe!!

[ December 11, 2016, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted December 16, 2016 07:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Cal. Good to get your take on it. It figures you knew them.

As far as your thoughts and opinions on thrill seeker type activities, I'm the same as you. Some people just gotta have it but I don't. I don't know what makes them tick, got nothing to do with having balls, and I don't give a shit either.

But, I'd like to try that arial shooting at least once. Something about being up there with that God View seems very cool.

Good hunting. El Bee

Now, Mr Bigtime Party Guy, what was going on in Vegas? A convention or something? You do not impress me as the high roller gambler type.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2016 08:06 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for your loss , as everyone else relieved to hear you are okay.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2016 08:21 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
National Finals Rodeo. It was also a surprise birthday party for a friend of mine. The NFR is always a good time and a place to see old friends. I'm not a big gambler or party guy and if it weren't for the NFR or attending the SHOT show or something, I wouldn't visit Vegas for any reason. I think it is about the shittiest place on earth.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2016 10:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand that, Cal.

I get invites to the Poker Tournament at the Wynn, and those high end hotels are the cats ass. Man, just the view from one of those top floor rooms is spectacular. Glass wall to wall, switch for the drapes is on the wall next to the bed, it's decadent luxury, the finest I've personally seen, never having been to Dubai. But, the best part of Vegas is people watching. I can make it in a little over three hours, if everything goes my way. The Vegas gun shows are pretty good although the ones we used to have at the LA County Fairgrounds were not to be missed....until some asshole Supervisor canceled the party. The money they turned down was stupid but when dealing with Ultra Liberal Democrats, they don't care. Guns are scary and that's it!

Any way, they say you drive 50MPH Max, no matter the weather, making it a very long trip back to Gillette, eh? (just kidding)(just kidding)

Yeah, I really like the fact that Liberal Democrats are few and far between in Wyoming. Every time I've been there it was ridiculously cold, maybe colder than northern Nevada and I know all about that! I've had my eyeballs freeze, no kidding.

Just the politics alone is an inducement, not having to put up with Lefties. I won't bother you with the new gun laws we will have, in Kalifornia first of the year. It's insane. I gotta get out of here! Good ol' Dave will help me move! And, koko will offer encouragement.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS it rained all night and so far hasn't let up. Somebody east of us is in for some pretty snotty weather when it blows out of here!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters