The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » True story

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: True story
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2016 10:56 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Years ago when I lived in Barstow, California out in the Mojave Desert I had been out quail hunting and pulled into a Whiting Brothers gas station on the old highway between Barstow and Lenwood. The attendant was a skinny old guy that liked to spin yarns. According to him he'd been a surgeon, a dentist, a rocket scientist, a professor at UCLA, etc, etc. A real character. He started gassing up my truck when another pickup with a camper shell on it pulled in. The guys asked him to fill their tank and headed to the men's room.

The old guy started pumping the gas and saw through the camper window they had an enormous buck laid out in the back. They'd been to Utah or Colorado hunting deer and someone bagged a serious trophy. When the guys got back the old man remarked on how big and beautiful the deer was then one of them asked, "Say, is there a taxidermist in town?" The old guy didn't say anything so the hunter asked again. The old man said, "I don't rightly know." The hunter said, "You don't know if there's a taxidermist in town??" The old man said, "I don't know what that is." The hunter said, and I'm telling the truth, "It's a man that mounts animals." The old man got a knowing look on his face and said, "Oh! You mean a sheep herder!!"

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2016 11:31 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2016 11:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, remember when Newberry Springs and Ludlow was way out in the sticks even beyond Daggett. I wish I had a nickel for every time I made a stand somewhere along old 66. Rumor has it, there still might be a couple coyotes we didn't kill, back then. Amboy, Bagdad, Essex; names that conjure up the romance of the early days. Remember Moe, we invented this shit.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31348 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2016 03:32 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I know I was on the ground floor.

Back in those days we'd pull well off the highway and make a stand calling from the truck. I can't tell you how many times a deputy sheriff or CHP guy pulled off to check us out. It always turned into a chat fest with the LEO asking questions about how to do what we were doing. A buddy of mine in Barstow was a CHP and he went out with me a few times. A good time was had my all.

I'll admit, there were a couple of game wardens that really hated us shooting coyotes but we were legal. Ron Holdstock made me a portable light for calling away from the vehicle. I wish I still had it.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2016 05:03 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I always have wondered about using LED lights instead of portable sealed beam spotlights?

Just never felt like changing what works.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2016 07:42 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
The Holdstock light was actually 2 lights mounted in PVC pipe, one on top of the other. The top light only picked up eyes with a dull beam that didn't hurt the animal's eyes. It was made from a headlamp, one that actually mounted on your head, that we used at the phone company for working trouble at night.

The main beam was a modified fireman's light with a nitrogen bulb that threw a pure white light. When you switched to the burn light it lit up an animal beyond comprehension. I loved that light. It worked off of a Burgess 4F6H 9 volt battery that was kinda heavy but far lighter than a 12 volt car battery. That light got us into places to make stands where we could never get to in a vehicle. Sometimes we'd have 3 guys. One guy dropped the other 2 off because there was no place to park and when we were done he'd pick us up.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2016 09:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the road that goes up to 29 Palms, from I-10, maybe?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2016 10:57 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Back in the old days we took the road from the top of the grade of the road from Lucerne Valley and into the Morongo Valley. No houses back then and lots of bobcats and rattlesnakes. You had to be very careful. It was easy to get 4 or 5 bobcats in a jight and still make it home to get a good nights sleep. I loved in Barstow. All that area is national park or filled with houses now.

I never called the road you mentioned but have driven it hundreds of times.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2016 11:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just meant that that road, that I also have driven a few hundred times seems like the sort of road where you could drop off but very little places to pull over, so a driver would keep going and come back later.

There are still plenty cats in southern California desert.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 11 posted December 13, 2016 10:10 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, come on Moe, is that REALLY a true story?!?! It is a spectacular story and I got a great laugh out of that. Now I hate being the gullible one here but that story had an almighty true ring to it!!

My father-in-law lives east of the highway out there in Barstow. Apart from a few lizards and cactus, the whole darn area is purely sand!!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2016 04:59 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it's true. That gas station was a victim of the so called oil embargo. Major companies would no longer sell gas to independents.

I filled up there as often as I could and every time I did that old fart had another story to tell about how he gave up the high pressure life to pump gas in Barstow. I kinda liked him but it was obvious he was a major bullshitter.

I know I didn't expect him to say what he did and I never figured out if he was putting those guys on but I was laughing about it for a long time.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted December 16, 2016 06:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, sand, lizards and the Marine Corps Logistics base. And that huge solar energy installation.

Besides, Moe is ex CVCA. These people don't lie, they have been there and done that.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2016 07:18 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been through Barstow a few times over the years and the changes are unbelievable. Most of my best old friends there have passed on now. For most of the time I lived there it was a nice place to live. Then they built the low cost housing and moved a bunch of inner city problems from San Bernardino out to Barstow and we became the per capita murder capitol of the US. We decided to get out of there and moved to Juneau, Alaska, a place I love and miss every day of my life. Too old to go back now.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters