The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Anybody watching? Any predictions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anybody watching? Any predictions?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted November 18, 2016 08:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The World Chess Championship Match 2016, held from 11 to 30 November, will be contested by 25 year old reigning champion Magnus Carlsen of Norway and his challenger, 26 year old Sergey Karjakin of Russia — and this is the first time that two players who have come of age in the computer era are fighting for the title and represent a generational shift in chess.
The contest consists of 12 games, with every move avidly followed and analyzed by a global audience of hundreds of millions of chess fans. To win, a player must reach a score of 6.5 points. After 12 rounds, if the score is even, there will be tie-breaks.

FIDE and Agon Limited will provide an exclusive live broadcast of the Match through its worldchess.com website. This is going to be the first Championship Match for the smartphone generation — a battle of minds witnessed and enjoyed by countless chess fans who play the game online every day.
Official World Chess

*********************************************************************************************************************************

Supposedly, there have been some epic draws and a couple blunders? Match ties 2 1/2 each. For some reason, I'm moderately rooting for the Russian, the underdog. Todays game starts in a couple hours. $1.1 million on the line.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ November 18, 2016, 08:14 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2016 08:26 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy a good game of chess as much as anybody but those guys, at their level are something else.

Somewhere, I have a book of championship games.
It gives the moves and one can set up their own board and follow along.
Heavy stuff.
Most notable (to me ) was a game where one of the players made his move and correctly announced "Forced mate in eight".

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2016 06:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's tied 3-3 now, every game so far, a draw.

There is a website where you can gain access to the room where people are watching through a one way mirror. For money, that is.

They say the Russian is doing better than expected, he's ranked #9 in the world. Of course, he hasn't played me, so ....

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2016 07:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Game #8! it looked like another tie game all the way until time became a crucial factor. After a couple blunders, the Russian suddenly popped into control. Carlsen resigned just as Sergei was about to push his pawn to a1 for another queen.

Then, the press conference was held without the champion. Then, after it ended, the champion decided to attend and when nobody stepped up to the plate, he had a little tantrum and stormed out.

Fortunate for him, today is a rest day and I hope he get's his shit together for tomorrow's match.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: Oh! the score now is 4 1/2 to 3 1/2. first to 6 1/2 wins.

[ November 22, 2016, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2016 08:43 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"..........for another Queen".

Question; Something that I've never been clear on.
Can a pawn be promoted to Queen if that color already has a Queen ??? Somehow, a King with two Queens just doesn't seem 'right'.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2016 11:28 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's Chess, Amigo. With eight pawns, should each somehow reach all the way across the board, you could have nine queens in play. I don't know, but doubt it has ever happened, except just to prove the theoretical point that it could be done. But, lots of times, just jerking around, I have played three queens.

But, in this match yesterday, that was the death knell and white had little choice had he taken the pawn. As it was, resigning was also the logical thing to do, these guys actually hate "CHECKMATE" as rubbing their nose in it. Better to resign.

Now, they are saying that Russian looks very strong to win championship, at this point. Mainly because these Grand Masters are really such delicate flowers, it could be difficult to get over a loss such as the one we saw yesterday. Better for everybody that he puts on his big boy pants and storms back with an aggressive win tomorrow. He's capable of it, but since he's young, (and dumb) it could be difficult for him. He's been considered a friggin' ROCK STAR since he was twelve....But, he's no Karpov and certainly no Bobby Fischer. We'll see.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: it just occurred to me. When dreaming about turning a lowly pawn into a queen; I said there are 8 pawns on each side but. If a player pushes ....no that wouldn't work? I was going to say, he can call for any piece he wishes but for all practical purposes, the player wouldn't ask for a pawn or a second King. But he could ask for a Rook or a Bishop or maybe a Knight? But, since the queen is the most powerful piece on the board, it makes little sense to take anything BUT another Queen. There is almost no chance of anything else. In the set I made, I have two queens on both sides, just incase needed. A nice touch, don't you think? LB

[ November 22, 2016, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 28, 2016 07:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I need to check the status. I have been out of the loop but last I heard it was tied 5-5, one win apiece with one game until the tie breaker. I think? Magnus has the odds right now.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2016 01:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, apparently somebody resigned the first game of Blitz tie breaker but I don't know who?

Coverage really sucks!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2016 12:30 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently, I was confused again. The playoffs start today, the match is tied at 6-6. This tiebreaker will be 4 games. After that, a different solution will be tried.

The coverage of this championship leaves a lot to be desired. Apparently, the live admission to the contest, being held in lower Manhattan, for the first 11 games was $75. For some reason, for the 12th and potentially deciding game, they upped the price to $200! As if that wasn't enough of a ripoff, the game was the shortest in championship history, a 35 minute TIE!.
STORM THE BASTILLE

This is starting to wear thin. I'm rooting for the Russian underdog.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2016 01:34 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm actually kind of surprised that anybody still plays chess in this day & age of instant gratification via the 'mobile device'.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2016 02:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Carlsen just won today's game

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2016 09:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/magnus-carlsen-wins-the-2016-world-chess-championship/

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters