The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Sky Harbor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sky Harbor
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted October 22, 2016 11:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Cooling my heels, two hour layover to OKC.

This reminds me why I hate sand niggers since 9-11! You wouldn't believe the way I had to go through security twice, because I packed a magazine in my carry on. Had to be in checked baggage. Oh well, I got the Royal treatment upstairs, the second time. Next time, maybe I should wear a hijab, (is that what they are called?) then they can't touch me, right?

This situation has to change. Air travel really sucks. They must be laughing at us?

Good hunting. El Bee (your roving ambassador)

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31348 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2016 12:50 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
My daughter recently flew to Houston. 2nd time in two months. Hates flying. Damn BF moved there.

LB, you must be visiting the GF ?

Would enjoy visiting Oklahoma some day maybe ?

[ October 22, 2016, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2016 02:18 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, for the benefit of the huddled masses, .......I'll bite.

A mobile device is allowed on board but a magazine is not ???

Inquiring minds want to know.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7521 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2016 03:36 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Except my Galaxy Note 7...which I have not given up yet.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2016 07:37 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in and out of Sky Harbor more times than I can remember. It's a nice airport but I've had more bad experiences there than anywhere else.

I carried a rifle down with me to do a little hunting and while it was in their care someone readjusted the scope to the stops both horizontal and vertical. Had to have done it on purpose. I had a single box of shells but luckily I bore sighted it and only used like 3 rounds to zero it.

Someone did the same thing to me on a flight to King Salmon out of Anchorage.I was hunting caribou.

Have fun in OKC.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2016 06:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I get the impression they have an attitude about guns, in Phoenix. I remember a time a few years back where the guy feeding the Xray machine literally threw my gun case a little too energetically for my tastes. He didn't do that with previous baggage. They made me open it up right there in front of everybody like they just caught a terrorist with a bomb.

koko, a magazine, as in an essential part of a semi auto handgun. Or, as you might call it; "a clip".

Yes, girlfriend kept me up most of the night. Brutal.

Don't tell Tom I'm here!

Good hunting. El Bee

I like Okies. Loved the movie!

edit: as far as somebody screwing with a rifle, I have a case that looks like something that would have golf clubs in it, and it has a fancy lock with the circular keyhole? Once I swear it's unloaded, etc. and lock it, it's secure until I unlock it, nobody can fuck with it. I am surprised they aren't more popular except with the safari crowd? It will hold five cased rifles. And that is the big problem with most traditional guncases, once you get where you are going, you miss not having your soft case. When I came back, I even had room to pack an ostrich egg, and a lot of random clothes to help protect the valuable contents; which was just two rifles, all I was allowed. I think it's called TuffPack? LB

Nalpak TP-0936WH 9" Tuffpak Series Hard Tripod Case with Wheels B&H # NATP0936WH MFR # TP-0936WH

[ October 23, 2016, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2016 06:52 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
My rifle was in a locked hard case. In Portland you're asked to open the case so the gun can be inspected and you are present. In Phoenix they demanded that I give them the key and they inspect the gun out of your presence. The gal at the counter returns your key just before boarding time. They actually detain you in the waiting area.

Back when I traveled to King Salmon there was no NSA but the airline wanted to inspect any guns to insure they were unloaded. It was opened at the counter where I checked it in. I don't know how they got to the gun except that the case had an easy lock to open.

On the way back Mark Air lost my boxes of caribou meat and when I got it back a couple of days later they had the boxes laying on the floor in their warehouse unrefrigerated. The meat had spoiled. I later found out that I could have filed a complaint and been paid for the damage they did.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 23, 2016 07:51 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
You're still allowed to own simi-automatic weapons in Calif. ????? [Eek!]
I'm amazed !!!!!
Enjoy it while you can. Bad times a-comin' I'm afraid.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7521 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2016 09:29 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I flew thru skyharbor recently too.

Mark,
I bought the note 7 and exchanged it right away after the replacements came out. I'm not going to do it again!! I like the phone. I'm not certain but isnt it something like 90 phones exploded out of something like 3 million plus phones?!?!

Airport security sucks. I remember once visiting with a dummy commercial airline pilot held over at security, because was flying home from a hunt with a round in his coat pocket....the irony.

Once my 2 little girls caused a hold up at security because one had a pocket knife (like all good little home schooled kids do) and the other had packed some children's scissors in her carry-on craft bag. LOL

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2016 12:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My return flight is at 6:15 A.M. which means I have to get up pretty early, gas the car and get the shuttle all before I normally get up considering the time difference here and "jet lag". It's got me a little psyched out, don't want to be late. But, need to get back to the Land of the Fruits and the Nuts.

I really like Oklahoma. Right here within the Oklahoma City limits, it still has a kinda rural flavor. The new Walmart Super Store right next to the airport has a display of camouflage ground blinds right out front of the Garden Center. I assure y'all, you won't see a display of three different ground blinds anywhere in my neighborhood.

No doubt, Okies are cute when they're little.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2016 02:37 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey El Bee;
Before you leave, get inside one of those blinds.
Then shout at people passing by "Can I get a little help here, there's no paper in this stall".

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

(Yeah I know, I have a weird sense of humor.)

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2016 05:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I already tried that. Didn't work, it was stocked with lots of tissues and reading material. These are Okies, after all.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2016 08:05 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 26, 2016 10:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Here I am, early. Nobody here, three customers total. Still have (like) five hours before flight scheduled to depart.

This is going to be brutal. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 27, 2016 02:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, do I want to get home! (actually 5:03 local)

[ October 27, 2016, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2016 07:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I got back to the house around 11 A.M. yesterday. I must be getting old? Brutal travel, reminded me of California to Johannesburg. And, if you don't know what that entails, you are a lucky dog, but Australia, from anywhere civilized is similar.

One impression, air terminals are major public gouges, food and merchandise wise. A BLT and small glass of orange juice, $14. Everything is rounded off to the closest dollar.

They have greatly improved communications, WiFi, including the damned recharging facilities. Creature comfort on board Southwest is pathetic. I almost, (not really) got on the wrong plane coming home....that can't happen. But they can sure as hell change your GATE while you are blissfully ignorant, sitting there.

Commando moment. I left my computer propped up on the edge of the paper seat protecter. Wash hands and suddenly remembered, turned around and the door was locked, stall occupied! I kinda knocked, said "hey, excuse me"! but no response. With my left leg on a urnal, I grabbed the upper edge with my right hand while reaching over and grabbing my computer with my left hand, up and over and nice two point landing. I had a vague sense of somebody sitting in there but It wasn't a Larry Craig moment, by any means. (it's ok if you don't get it) Still, I panicked, and can't believe I responded the way I did? And, that it succeeded? An adventure to tell the grandkids!

Seventy bucks to park off site for five and a half days, and I was free.

General impressions of Oklahoma City, I actually liked it! (small surprise) I think I could live there. And, this area was rather upscale, but veryaffordable by California standards. They like brick, versus California stucco. Lot sizes are such that everybody owns a riding mower and apparently there are no water restrictions so the grass seems lush, late fall, even.

They seem to have most everything we do, same businesses, a Walmart on practically every corner, but gas $1.71 a gallon is about a dollar cheaper than CA; we always get fucked on that deal.

Interesting, OKC airport is almost provincial compared to Las Vegas and LAX where they never sleep. Where I dropped off the car, nobody in attendance, just left the key, and this was Hertz, biggest player in the universe, but over a mile from the terminal.

Ah yes, Sky harbor where they change loading gates while you wait to board. I'm always fascinated observing Arizona from 30,000 feet. You know what I'm thinking, right? There are roads I wasn't aware of.... and they need exploring!

Oklahoma seems to have many shelter belts, heavy cover for critters but I think I only saw one flattened "something"? As you fellas know, surveying/scouting potential hunting areas can be done by paying attention to road kill. By western standards. Off topic, seems like there are parts of Texas where deer are the most numerous road kill, but how do they get over those high fences, I ask you?

Girlfriend has two serious health problems, feel bad for her, one not even treatable, if you can believe it? Sad deal, when a lumphectomy is the least of her problems. She's not coping well, either.

So, back home and the new Chinese people across the street, house was broken into while I was gone! They sure missed a better opportunity, even my "guard bird" is at the boarding facilities in Riverside. Reminds me, I need to go get him this morning.

Gout, it seems to flare up with air travel? Man, I was hurting yesterday, until late at night. Same with the night I arrived in OKC but not as bad. Getting Rx meds there was quite complicated, but after all afternoon, I got Alpurinal 30 100mg tablets for FOUR BUCKS! My normal copay is three times that much.

So, we are pretty much up to speed on Lenbo adventures. TTYL.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters