The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Gettin It Done!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Gettin It Done!
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2016 07:22 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
While you guys have been siting around discussing politics and trying to keep your head above water in the South, I was out enjoying Montana to it's fullest this weekend. I told my partner before I left to come out to his place to hunt, that I was more interested in coyote hunting than antelope hunting. I made it clear that I would basically shoot the first buck that was 12" or better just to fill the freezer, and I would not be holding out for a trophy. The plan was to get the antelope out of the way and in the freezer, so we could do what we both enjoy more, and hunt coyotes.

I arrived about midday on Friday. We spent our time making coyote stands and doing a little scouting for antelope. We saw plenty of antelope including a pretty decent buck or two. What we really enjoyed though was some success on coyotes. While there are only 3 in this photo we killed two other coyotes that day that dove into deep thorn brush ravines. Neither of us felt motivated enough to dive in after them. If it were a tournament or the fur was worth a lot of money we may have had a different attitude, but it was neither so those coyotes were left to their brushy thorn covered graves. I was also able to let the air out of a large badger as weel that was between 350-360 yards. I hit him dead center and he was tore up really bad. Unfortunately he had just enough energy to crawl ten feet and go down his hole making him impossible to reach. That really bummed me out as I really, really wanted that bugger.
 -

Later that evening just before dark we watched a herd of antelope bed down for the night that had a pretty decent 15" buck. The next morning we were right there at first light. It took a while to locate the herd as they had moved quite a ways. Unfortunately they had moved to a very difficult area for a stalk and it would be even more difficult to retrieve if I did kill it. We decided to move on and find another buck, knowing that we could always come back and check on these antelope later. Shortly after leaving we saw a very small buck and a doe. While I was trophy hunting I couldn't bring myself to shooting a 8" buck. Less than 10 minutes later we happened upon a large herd of antelope and I picked the biggest one out of the 3 bucks in the herd, and killed it with my 6.5 Creedmoor. By 8:15am the buck was loaded. I was happy camper to have that part of the hunt out of the way. Granted he is one of the smallest bucks I've ever shot, but he fit the bill perfectly for table fare and filling freezer space. I look forward to enjoying this buck on the dinner table. [Smile]
 -
The next day we just coyote hunted and had a great time. Of all the coyotes we called in only two got away. They both back doored us and caught us off guard. Although not everything is pictured we ended the hunt with 10 coyotes shot, 1 badger shot, and a perfect antelope buck. More important than calling coyotes, hunting antelope, or spending time outdoors, the time spent with a good friend and his family topped everything. I've been very blessed to know some outstanding people in my life (Cory) and his family are right at the top of that list. Thanks again Cory. I don't know that he will ever see this post on this site, but if he does I sure want him to know how grateful I am to him and his family!

Three more coyotes from opening day.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted October 12, 2016 07:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good story, Troy. Thanks for posting. And getting us off politics for a minute or so.

Delicate question, what did you do with the coyotes? They look halfway decent?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I'm a little puzzled? You said the badger was tore up pretty bad? I have yet to see that? Usually, a bullet goes in and doesn't come out of a badger, I assume because they are all muscle and dense. Yes, I have had a few get back down the hole but dead by the time I walked out there. So, what did you want a tore up badger for? Did you think he had enough fight in him that he wasn't worth messing with? If you wanted him that bad? I agree, they make a fine trophy. LB

[ October 12, 2016, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2016 07:32 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Skinned the one's that weren't blown up too bad by bullets. Fur was looking pretty decent. I killed one that is not pictured, that had incredibly long fur. So much so, I'm going to have it tanned and use it as a wall hanging.
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2016 01:39 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty cool Troy, but what's with the blood on that antelope being in the rear pocket, instead of the front pocket? Maybe he was quartered toward ya and that's the exit point or are you a little rusty with your shot placement [Razz]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted October 12, 2016 02:05 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice Troy looks like a great trip.
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2016 05:29 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Good eye TR. He was moving on the first shot and I didn't lead him enough. However it did slow him down and the second shot was right in the heart.
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2016 04:59 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
TR is not the only one with the good eyes! I spied out the 1st coyote in the back of the truck has no legs!?!? [Eek!]

Hey, nice trip and hunt by the way thank you for sharing the pictures and story. [Smile]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2016 05:41 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Locohead, that's funny, but I assure you it had all it's legs. Sure doesn't look like it in the photo though does it?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2016 07:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I have to confess. I did not notice that little red smudge on the flank because I just figured, Hey, Troy's a member of Huntmasters, an expert rifleman, (aren't we all?) in good standing and he seldom, if ever, misses! So, I naturally assumed a surgically precise entrance, and probably no exit, as he does this all the time, without breaking a sweat? He even changed half of his cornstalks outfit below the waist. Nothing wrong with that, either. I do it all the time.

But, except for the very small stain, that buck could have been struck by lightning, not a mark on him? I'd never guess he required two shots! That's the thing around here, we don't miss! Am I wrong?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2016 09:39 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I didn't miss. Just didn't place it where I wanted. So our no-miss reputation around here is still intact. [Wink]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters