The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Florida mullet run

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Florida mullet run
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2016 08:58 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a closet fly fisherman...sort of. I would love to get over to Florida someday and do some salt water fishing. Cruising thru you tube and thought Id post this vid of drone footage and mullet run. Not fishing, but pretty neat to see Tarpon and sharks slashing thru baitfish..
Mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA5mn423F9g

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 06, 2016 11:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not mullet, but I have been in the middle of smelt and anchovies before. It's incredibly unnerving, you can't see a damned thing, completely blind, and they are bumping into you everywhere, all over. It's not blackout, it's silvery, but oddly, you are still blind. You will not like it, especially way offshore.

You know, I do have some experience with mullet in Florida. They will not take a hook, it's useless to try to fish them with rod and reel, except we did snag a few with a bare treble hook, deliberately casting into a school. We mostly used casting nets, which are just about the only way to catch them, that I know of? Good eating, too, not fishy tasting. Most of them were about a pound, maybe a little bigger?

Tarpon? I don't know that we had the right type of tidal flats where I was in the panhandle? The most abundant fish were a type of salt water trout, on shrimp we would catch right on shore. Forget the actual name, but they looked sorta like a walleye, silver and red with a couple dark spots. Maybe they were called Redfish? I'm guessing?

But they also had more exotic fish, like triggerfish of some sort, we used to spear them from under the docks.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2016 03:00 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
mullet run...
 -

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2016 03:01 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
 -
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2016 06:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the Beefcake, Fred. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2016 07:41 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice selfie Fred : )

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2016 08:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? Those Thongs look like they would drive you nuts! Do they?

Now, be a good sport, don't delete it this time.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS about that photo. The immediate impression I get is; that guy is Gay, right? Most guys would be on the beach in Board Shorts of some type, right? The hair style is like what koko wore back in the 80's.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2016 02:22 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
HEY !!!!!
I've done some pretty twisted things but I still have my pride.
Never wore a mullet.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted October 07, 2016 04:16 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Fred you got to much free time on your hands!!
I think it's time you got a steady women, you can't keep running wild like Ronnie!!! LOL

Even part time Okies got to settle down [Big Grin]

Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 08, 2016 05:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I can imagine Fred asking his wife if he can buy another rifle or a couple $1000 tripods with fluid heads.

I always felt my responses to my wife's question: "why do you need it?" were rather weak. Especially since she was so responsibly frugal. Must have been the reason we never went broke; 'cause it wasn't my restraint, I was the spender in the family.

I don't think long time bachelors understand domestic financial negotiations?

Just kidding, Fred. Enjoy it as long as you can. [Smile]

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters