The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Chicken House

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chicken House
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2016 07:35 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, another break from shit. Got the ol' chicken shack painted yesterday.

Getting started. West side painted, less trim. starting on the front.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ t34.0-12/14469231_627536954093880_38316503_n.jpg?oh=915ffe1619ef6f758065017ae182e03b&oe=57EC120C
The goat. Sam is offering help ?
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/ v/t34.0-12/14483948_627536947427214_1352356415_n.jpg?oh=8a2b85e06c1dc4c777a9e28383222fcc&oe=57EBF746
Good enough. Let the goats inside !!
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/ v/t34.0-12/14483392_627536707427238_1833649047_n.jpg?oh=e62a80832e7eb2d5ad94645c32e84e27&oe=57EBF7AD
Sneaking in a snack, while touching up.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v /t34.0-12/14483956_627536827427226_787689045_n.jpg?oh=9209c8865cac6e2bb35a9e1cf24b9f43&oe=57EC1E54

[ September 26, 2016, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 07:12 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks brand new, Dave what do you do with the goats ,years ago I kept dairy goats best milk available. P.S. I didnt see any chickens?

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted September 27, 2016 07:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You got the right idea. But, where's the "beef"?

Deluxe accommodations, for sure.

You can even move in for a nite or two if you get in trouble with the boss.

Talk to Vic, I think he had a money making venture going for a while, known as "Free Range" eggs. The yuppies will pay a premium for that concept.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 08:52 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard just how far will an egg range left on its own?

--------------------

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2016 09:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Why ask me? Do I look like a yuppie?

It doesn't matter, as long as they think they are protesting, and saving chickens from being cooped up in cages.

Liberals, all of them, bunny huggers, save the earth, plastic shoes, etc. they are nuts. It's a mental illness.

PS is the price of eggs ever going to come down?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2016 08:40 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking good, Dave! Looks like the pastoral life is fitting you well! My mom was the head chicken wrangler at our house…my dad and I were her hired help. My dad ended up building a nice chicken house and then promptly delegated cleaning, oversight and feeding duties to me.

My mom demanded fresh straw on the floor every week. Got tired of cleaning the darn floor EVERY Saturday morning…straw and chicken crap went out in a wheel barrow and put on the garden to be tilled in.

It is funny listening to the Birkenstock wearing, unshaven folks demand organic, free-range eggs. In the 60’s and 70’s, we called that just living on the farm.

I can tell you that true, ‘free range’ eggs from a chicken that is constantly out of their pen in a yard eating grass and bugs, taste like crap to me. What a chicken eats is put right into the yolk, and if they eat enough grass, that is how the eggs taste.

Anyone who has had chickens also know they are some of the dumbest animals on earth. Herding cats has nothing on trying to get chickens back in their pen once they are out.

My mom’s free range experiment got cut short by a very enterprising coyote that started picking off the laying hens when they wandered around my grandad’s farmyard next door. They would lay in the fire weeds and snatched about one a day until we figured out what was happening.

I will say, though, that one has not lived until you have tasted fried chicken that has never been frozen and has gone from the pen to the table in the time span of a couple of hours!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2016 09:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds similar to what I believe happens to mule deer that browse certain edibles like sage or apples or acorns. You can definitely taste sage in the meat.

Or, take cripple that runs off. Might just as well make pepper jerky out of the whole thing.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2016 10:16 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well the wife's been on me to get that fixed up before winter. So, I finally got around to it.

Probably getting chickens in the spring ?

I'm keeping the goats in there for now. Sophie was getting out of the goat pen somehow ? This setup is pretty secure. Anyway, I'm painting the goat house this weekend & possibly put up some taller fencing around it.

The goats are pets only Paul. I've got pretty attached to those little bastards..Lol

[ September 28, 2016, 10:17 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2016 10:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You go, Dave! I think those goats are the cutest thing ever!

You should be careful about coyotes. You know it, but don't get lax, at all.

You know, I just had a thought. Maybe you have heard about institutions, rehab and certain types of hospitals where they have animals like dogs and cats for therapy? I bet your little goats would be a big hit if you volunteered?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2016 04:30 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not goats, but I recently saw a summary of new laws in Kansas that provide for people with service animals to assist them with mental health maintenance. They specifically cite therapy dogs and miniature horses, of all things. Dave may have a new market to corner. Be a trendsetter.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 28, 2016 06:27 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting thoughts. Lance & Leonard.

Indeed, Tim. The "pastoral" life is good !!

I've actually been thinking about opening the door to my old pickup & takin' 'em for a ride..Lol

The reason, I usually picture myself with the goats is to show how human friendly they are !!

Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2016 02:02 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave
I got attached to my goats as well they are funny critters. One night Coyotes got in a pen I had set up to separate the little ones from their mothers
Killed four kids ate nothing just killed em. luckily the mothers were all in the barn. Had one billy he was kept far from the dairy, all the male goats were sold off to Mexicans for barbacoa.
This spring I will bring in some chickens as well, been getting free range eggs LOL from a guy up the road maybe Vic knows him.

--------------------

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2016 03:19 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
You need more fence posts.
Fences should be hog tight and horse high.
What you think is good animals seem to find the weak spots and show you how to build fences.
Good luck Dave

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2016 06:24 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
The little hippie health food store I sell veggies and eggs to, label my egg cartons; "Carlson Ranch Cage Free eggs".
Can't get away with either "organic" nor "Free range", two very specific conditions my operation doesn't meet I suppose?
Been getting close to fifty bucks a week between eggs, which they give me $3 a dozen and squash& cucumbers, I get a buck a pound.
Pays for chicken feed for the week, and breakfast for the wife and I when we are in town.

[ September 29, 2016, 06:25 AM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2016 07:11 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
"Cage Free"? They can't prove they're not, so I wonder if you could add "Liberal".

A buzzword like that would appeal to all those new flatlander neighbors from Hippyville.

"Cage free eggs, raised by Farmer Vic, your Liberal neighbor down the road" FREE BALONEY SANDWICHES !

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2016 08:00 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Lol..

http://www.oregonlive.com/trending/2016/08/now_you_can_do_goat_yoga_in_or.html

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2016 11:23 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you can do yoga with a goat but can you pump your own gas in Ore. ?????

[Confused]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2016 03:10 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Vic !

Goat yoga really?
These people are a little different !

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2016 06:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That gas pumping situation in Oregon tells me everything I need to know about that dippy state. East of the Cascades is okay, but coastal I-5 sucks.

Here's my bitch. Normally, out west, traveling on the Interstate, driving through unfamiliar areas, you see an offramp, possibly miles ahead. Then, you know what you are going to do when you get there.

Not Oregon. You pull off, and trees in front of you, trees to your left, trees on the right, middle of the night, which way to go? Well, you ain't going to get any help in Oregon, no signs pointing gas this way, McDonalds that way; you are on your own in the middle of the damned forest.

Think I'm joking? Nope. You get no help at all from those Granola Busters. Seriously, I have driven 5 miles in the wrong direction from an offramp looking for gas, then it's back to the freeway and try the other way. Crazy, no help, no signs, no lights no nothing! And when you get there, you had better wait for Clem to pump that gas when he gets around to it and the quickest way to get him out there is to grab the pump yourself. He will wrestle it out of your hands like you are juggling a bomb.

Stay the hell out of Oregon, people! They ain't right!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2016 09:31 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Hippies get high off smellin' their own farts, that's what makes 'em weird...
 -
Watch South Park for plenty more adult based sociological observations!

Cool setup, Dave!
Someday hope to have a little spread w w/chickens & a couple goats...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters