The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Nope, I never heard about this either?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nope, I never heard about this either?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted September 20, 2016 02:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
http://theresurgent.com/what-the-media-didnt-report-about-the-gun-toting-hero-in-minnesota/

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31327 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 05:18 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice job on his part.

Glad he was there to put the tango down.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 08:10 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure that o bama will invite him to the White House.

(Drop of sarcasm there in case anybody missed it)

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7510 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2016 04:42 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I heard on NPR that he owns a range and teaches concealed carry classes.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2016 05:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that was reported in the link. But, the photo has him in what might be construed as a gun nut pose? Anyway, apparently, he is a big fan of concealed carry for everybody.

For the life of me, I can't see a problem with that? Every day, people have access to lethal stuff of one type or another. It's rather common in Japan for somebody to go berserk with a sword and chop a few people. The chances that somebody else has a concealed samurai sword is slim, so your options are run or hide.

What I heard, in St Cloud, (my mother was born in St Cloud) the asshole kind of trapped a bunch of people somehow where there was no escape and started wading in and stabbing all of them. You know, just one guy on the outside of the trapped sheep could interfere, so maybe that's what happened?

Why law abiding people are restricted from possessing the means to protect themselves is beyond me? It hasn't been talked about but it's probable that the Mall was a friggin' GUN FREE ZONE?

This world is going to hell in a hurry!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit:Honesty in government? http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/state-isis-terrorists-try-to-pose-as-refugees/article/2602405

[ September 21, 2016, 05:51 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2016 06:13 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
They have continued to report he was an 'off duty police officer'...kind of disingenuous. He was a previous Chief of Police and is/was? a reserve officer with some police department.

Seems like the media is once again trying to gin up hate against LEO's IMO.

LB...I agree with you on concealed carry. Here in KS, the legislature backed all of the state universities into a corner in 2013 by mandating that they either had to allow concealed carry on campus or have adequate security devices in place by 2017.

They are all freaking out as that goes into place next July and it driving the libs absolutely nuts!

My alma mater in Hays, Kansas, Ft. Hays State, did an alumni campaign to oppose the law. I am a past president of the Alumni Assn., and have told them that I have withdrawn my support, (what little it was), from any fundraising on behalf of the college.

I expected this reaction from the liberal universities in the eastern half of Kansas, but not in rural western Kansas.

Guess it means times are changing!

[ September 21, 2016, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2016 06:14 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
That's why your neighbor state of Arizona, is where you ought to start thinking about making a move to Leonard. Here; we follow the Constitution, every citizen is allowed to carry concealed or open, their choice, with no permits required, which is a Constitutional infringement.
Gun free zones only apply to court houses and schools to my mind, all others are simply a policy issue, not law, I carry most all places with nary a problem.

Posts: 1598 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2016 06:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking about it. Obsessively thinking about it. I have a coke machine in the garage. I have a big arc welder. I have a friggin' piano and a gun safe. Heavy stuff. I have close to 100 container plants scattered around that are valuable. I can't see moving all my shit, so I guess selling it for ten cents on the dollar is my only option? I had a real estate agent out and do a report. I'm slowly moving in that direction but (seriously) it's a formidable action.

Plus, I have no relatives left in town, really, nobody to help with a move of this magnitude. It's really a little overwhelming, except it's either "a little" or it's actually, overwhelming, I guess? Say, what are you doing next month?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2016 12:41 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
If the timing was right, I'd gladly make a long road trip to help you move your stuff out of there LB.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2016 12:46 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, he was a former chief of police and is a current reserve officer.

Not that it matters really. He is just an American who stepped up to the plate when the chips were down.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2016 01:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What a grand gesture, Dave! Trying to smoke me out or what?

No, really. When it happens if it does, it will have to be "catered" so to speak. We ain't getting all this shit in a U Haul.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 21, 2016 06:20 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
The whole "Constitutional Carry" nomenclature bothers me in that it isn't really. Here in Kansas, as booger pointed out, it's pretty much free range except for any place that is exempt such as a courtroom or hospital, or any place that provides armed security or metal detectors at every entrance. In other words, if a public place provides the means for identifying who is the bad guy and has a plan in place to deal with it, no guns. The fly in the ointment, as far as the law goes, is the GFSZA, or Gun Free School Zone Act, a federal law that forbids anyone except those with the CCW from carrying open or concealed within 1,000 of school property. In most towns and cities, that's pretty much everywhere. I live a block from a primary school. I can carry open or concealed on my property, but once I back out of the driveway or step off the curb, it would appear that I'm a felon. No one will clarify that part of this law. I've asked everyone and they keep referring me to (deliberately) vague state and federal laws.

That's why I much prefer the term "Provisional Carry".

Either way, I carry quite a lot. I don't have a CCW. Refuse to buy my right to defend myself from the government. The class amounts to 8 hours of talking about laws that pertain to criminal acts, liability, and a few what-if scenario discussions. No real gun safety. You have to plink a few rounds at a ridiculously close target. Done all that a thousand times over. I call it "the weekend". Because of the rapid pace of the class, I don't expect that 99% of the students could give you an accurate recounting of the material 6 months later.

I watch the various news videos online and friends and I will hold discussions via social media about how best to handle those situations if we found ourselves in that scenario. My standing rule is always, always, always remember that the law guarantees your right to self DEFENSE, but if the bad guy turns to leave, you cannot pursue to be on the offensive.

I enjoy taking the time to look at those places we frequent. Pre-plan my egress, and organize in my head what I would do if something went bad. Getting the wife to safety and covering others' escape are the start. Going back in to hunt down the evildoer? Fuck that. That's why God made cops with body armor.

I cannot understand the mindset of people who refuse to protect themselves. At first, I was uncomfortable carrying open. Maybe I was concerned that they'd intimidated by the gun. I didn't wanna stand out. But, I realized that the only way to get people used to the idea of guns is to wear them. So, now I do. Wear longer-tailed shirts in plaid patterns to break up the imprint of the gun on my hip, but I don't freak out if I have to reach up or something and my weapon is exposed. No one else has either. When we go shopping, I even people watch to see if I can detect a sidearm on those around me.

I use every opportunity to sharpen my situational awareness skills. Make it a rule when carrying to always try to know whose close by. If someone gets weird close, I clamp my elbow down over my gun, just in case, and free my hands up. Good practice. You never know.

The whole freaked-out-by-guns thing makes me think back to earlier this week with LB's aversion to AR style rifles. Makes me wonder if you've been overly Californified a bit too much. Has to be a bit contagious, ya know.

Here in the heartland, AR's are growing in popularity with every passing day. Seeing one is no big deal. Almost expected. It's just another gun to the people around here and everyone has guns.

The first season we used them, I had one farmer exclaim, "Holy shit, you got an army gun!". Nowadays, they just smile and say something about how glad they are we came prepared.

Hell, just today, I had one guy stop me on my route to tell me about the new AR he bought. Thirty minutes later, a customer stepped out his front door to take his mail from me, reached in his pocket and pulled a small semi-auto .25 cal pocket gun out and held it up for me to look at, and pulled his extra little mag from his other pocket. Must be a Kansas thing, but most conversations start with "How's this weather? Whatcha carryin' today?"

Backwoods, backwards, and thankful to be this way.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2016 05:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see? How can I convey the concept? Legal CCW is impossible in The People's Republic, so what does one do?

Then, there are those assholes that intentionally call 911 to report anybody that they observe to be carrying. It's with the evil intent to cause a confrontation with nervous responders. To me, that is sick because they absolutely know what they are doing and hoping somebody is either arrested or hopefully, (I guess?) shot by police. Now, that's a real zealot! So afraid of guns that they want somebody punished, who is legally carrying.

Just don't ask what I do. Comprende?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2016 09:09 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Next month, finally getting my wrist fusion surgery done, can't hardly stand the discomfort lately. Later in the month, a deer hunt. I most likely won't be a shooter with a fucked up hand, but will give my tag to grandson, and help him possibly wack some venison?
Posts: 1598 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2016 09:42 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
"Here in the heartland, AR's are growing in popularity with every passing day. Seeing one is no big deal. Almost expected. It's just another gun to the people around here and
everyone has guns. "

Not here...with 40 million people. Lots of "gunshy" pussified peeps here, not to mention the super hyped gang shit... so... yeah, we are, unfortunatly, "aware" of how it is perceived.
Mark

[ September 22, 2016, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 22, 2016 09:55 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,
Kansas is not immune to the national wussification of today's folks.

In the 70's, I regularly had at LEAST a shotgun in my truck ON SCHOOL GROUNDS, from Sept. 1, (dove season), through December 31, (end of pheasant season).

From Thanksgiving to March 1, I had a shotgun AND my .270 for deer and coyotes.

Today, I would probably have never graduated from high school due to the 'zero tolerance' rules.

Like Cdog says, it is dicey situation to have firearms within 1000 ft. of schools.

For the most part, guns are no big deal here in rural Kansas. Every once in a while you find a liberal around here, but they usually don't stick around too long... [Big Grin]

[ September 22, 2016, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters