The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Rural

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rural
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2016 01:00 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
You know after reading posts of guys driving quite some time to shoot 1000 yards or whatever ?

I've been reflecting on my all day experience in & around rural John Day Oregon yesterday.

The only fast food for 70 miles is Dairy Queen. Had lunch there. Nowhere as far as I can tell to even buy a pair of jeans ?

Nice little hardware store & grocery store, a couple little antique shops & that's about it really ?

Drove 13 miles east to Prairie City, two antique shops & such. Went the bar for two beers & watched the 4th quarter of the Oregon-Nebraska game.

Went back to John Day to a little brewery for a beer & supper. Drove home deer everywhere YIKES !!

It makes one think ? What's the tradeoff ? Rural or Urban ? trade offs to both..

[ September 18, 2016, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2016 01:24 PM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
For me it's rural, people seem to move at a slower pace. They have time to step back and watch what's going on around them. Life in the country you can't beat it. That's my opinion, everyone's is different.
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2016 06:01 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Both my wife and I grew up in the country and even after living urban for 25 years, we still aren't entirely used to it, but living in town does have some advantages.

My parents and my wife's mom still live on the farm/ranches that we grew up on, but the parents are getting to the age where plowing snow and being able to handle some of the normal daily things that come up aren't that easy for them anymore.

We spend about 1 weekend every month making sure things are in working order for them. For the most part, we enjoy helping out on the ranch, but it does make us worry at times that something could happen to them and help could be hours away.

I would love to have at least a mile between me and the closest neighbor, but with the jobs we have, kids, and convenience, living close to people will have to do for now. Someday, maybe we will get out, but I fear by then our health will be a concern like it is for most retirees and we will stay close to doctors and such.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 18, 2016 07:04 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly Lonny. Y'all know I moved late last fall. I'm hardly remote compared to the JD area.

I live on 1.7 acres have a neighbor kinda next door. One across the road and one west across the pasture. Behind me it's about a 1/2 mile to the next neighbor.

I can be in Ontario Ore in 15 minutes for a pair of jeans or work boots or whatever. A mile east of me is New Plymouth pop ~1500 I can get basic groceries eggs whatever @ the local small store.

The only reason I can live here is because I know how to figure out AG parts, or I'd probably be driving 45-60 minutes to find decent work.

Maybe I'm getting old. I love remote places & all. But, driving @ least an hour to buy a pair of jeans is probably too much for me. Yes medical care has to be a factor for many of us moving on in life.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2016 03:30 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you. It's 4 hour drive for me to get to a China-mart. But I can hop on the quad and in one minute have miles upon miles of open range for me to harrass coyotes.Orrr 10 minutes and I am in the thriving go nowhere mega city of Ely..LOL.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 636 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2016 04:34 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always wanted to live rural, but Prostate Cancer killed that urge. SOME small towm docs are dangerous. I give Paul a lot respect for going off the grid.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2016 05:51 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Vic, how right you are about hicktown doctors. Here where I am at you DO NOT even go to the so called hospital if you can make it to Salt Lake or St George Utah to a real hospital with real doctors. Unlike the rip off worthless crap that calls themselves doctors here in Nevada.Total rip off state for medical.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 19, 2016 07:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not that it matters, but. That's not Victor Carlson you are talking to. "AZ" covers a lot of territory. He calls himself azhunter

That's a valid consideration, when living in the sticks. My cousin's ex husband, Billy retired to his cabin in Mormon Lake, which is about 25 miles south of Flagstaff. Maybe a hundred people? So, when one of his neighbors saw him slumped on his porch they air ambulanced him to Phoenix but he never regained conscience ness. Just figure, no nine lives when you are miles from medical help. Be at peace with your God and hope for the best, either die in your sleep or shot in the back by a jealous husband.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 03:32 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for lining me out on that Leonard. I get to feeling ,eh, not too bright one may say!!!

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 04:02 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
My nearest neighbor is about a half mile away , my backyard is literally the Kaibab National Forest.
we go about a hour 1 time per month to Prescott for groceries and hardware. Every 90 days I go to Mesa to the cancer center for blood work and see the doc. every 6 months for scans to see if the boogie man is back. I did not realize how de- sensitized I had become living in the city going there is semi traumatic we dont like it at all.
Flagstaff with the traffic and all the lugerheads and frogs as well as lots of ornamentals feels just like downtown L.A. I dont think I could go back.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 06:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Walt, no disrespect intended. I only wanted to correct a misunderstanding. And, you're not the only one.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 09:32 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up "rural", so it's deep in my bones. Rural life just seems normal, and trips to Tucson to see kids, thankfully are only a day or two at most. The number of people and traffic gets under my skin after a bit. A trip to the mall to catch a movie with the grandkids, is about all I can take of people, just so fucking many loons, young and old. All the kids look to be androgynous, both boys and girls dress the same, have same hairdo, shoes, those skin tight pants that I can't even imagine how they get past their feet, much less slip all the way on? EVERYBODY, is on a fucking electronic device. I sit near the food court and people watch when I have to go, and it amazes me how absolutely connected most everyone is to some kind of fucking machine. Walking and holding one in front of them, sitting with friends of family with it stuck in their face while typing, grabbing for it every ten seconds....simply amazing. Im so happy not owning a device, it allows me to observe a society so hooked to them, they appear helpless....sad really.
The usual shit folks in the city worry about, when they imagine living in a rural setting, those of us that are rural, don't even give a second thought about.
I'll take rural over town life any day, just the way Im wound I suppose?

[ September 20, 2016, 09:37 AM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 10:44 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I grew up 'rural', too, and guess that was best for me as I am a loner by nature. When someone came to the house it was because they were invited, or if they weren't invited, it was because they were known and were welcome.

I live in a town of 14,000, and our house butts up against a 'lake', (read sand pit). We have a nice landscaped back yard, and my wife and I take pride in that.

Really gets under my skin when someone takes it upon themselves to just stroll through our backyard to be nosy. I have turned into a curmudgeon as I am constantly running kids off who take it upon themselves to just come into our yard and start fishing.

I simply tell them if they would ask for permission, I would let them fish. Guess what passed for common courtesy 40 years ago, folks just take for granted today.

We can't wait to retire to a place in the country where I can have my own 100 yard range, and where I can take a leak outside if I want without the fear of being turned in as a pervert!

PS: Vic, you couldn't have explained that much better about today's youth!

[ September 20, 2016, 10:51 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted September 20, 2016 11:53 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been reading some election demographics and guess what, you curmudgeons; those androgynous twerps vote, and there are more of them than the type represented by three of us, and by a lot! If they think of it, they might even make "rural" ILLEGAL, one of these days. You know, to combat urban sprawl? Control Freaks, too.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 12:30 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
If they think of it, they might even make "rural" ILLEGAL, one of these days. You know, to combat urban sprawl? Control Freaks, too.

The Chinese tried that and ended up with a litany of empty cities. Figured all those rubes in the sticks were costing more than they were worth and things would be better if they moved them into town and put them to work to benefit the masses.

raised in a town that barely broke the 1,000 mark. Living in what most people would consider a small town now (~8k). We have one of the only professional theaters between KC and Denver where actors from NYC take respites from Broadway if'n I wanna get enlightened and find culture. We have small restaurants staffed by chefs from NYC who got tired of the big city bullshit.

My dad had a rule that I have always used: If I can't be in the country in five minutes or less, the town's too big.

I live 500 feet from the city limits. I guess I live in town. But, what I get outta the deal is the security of a fire hydrant in my front yard, police two minutes away, and almost less than that for an ambulance. Watched too many good folks die because they were just too far away when they needed help. I get a three minute drive to the store for groceries, but a yard big enough to have a decent garden, and no stupid rules to keep me from having one. I have city water and a state of the art sewer system, but live in a state where I can dig my own well if I want to.

I'd live off the grid if I could, but I get tired of camping after about three days. I'm prepared to live that life if and when I have no choice, but until then, I enjoy cable TV and internet too much.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 01:11 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to a lady last year, in an agricultural conference,that explained the position of enviros in California regarding the Central Valley and its population. I have heard her speak on the radio but wanted to see her in person. Total and complete California super liberal.
It is their intention to deprive us of water or other resources so that we will all move out and into the bigger cities (LA,Frisco etc). This way "they" (government) can take way better care of us.
That is in a nutshell obviously, as this went on for about 45 minutes before things got a bit western in the room.

This lady had balls to come there and speak...I guess. I have heard this before but I was amazed at how serious and passionate she was about the subject. She in turn, was amazed that no one there followed her line of thought, she could not believe that no one there was as pragmatic as her. Total common sense as far as she was concerned.

Just thought Id share.
Mark

[ September 20, 2016, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 01:22 PM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
AMEN Vic ! McNeal doesn't hold much to most but can't see myself living anywhere else.
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 02:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if that screwball woman thought about where all those city people would get their food from if the agricultural folks were forced to live in SF? Bus 'em?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 20, 2016 05:22 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
China and Mexico of course. She mentioned that very thing. Can grow it and ship it here for less than we can in our own backyard..
And she is right...there are several communities out in the sticks here that have been surviving on government handout food. On the label it is clearly marked that it is Chinese grown. Seen it with my own eyes. Extremely sad shit.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters