The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » president of the Ethical Society of Police

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: president of the Ethical Society of Police
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2016 05:00 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
This guy allegedly is not as ethical as they would like.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/st-louis-police-sergeant-indicted-by-feds-for-stealing-from/article_87b1d999-eec4-5b26-9b0c-8a68a007637e.html

quote:
ST. LOUIS • A St. Louis police sergeant who was president of an organization that represents black St. Louis police officers has been indicted on multiple fraud charges after misappropriating more than $80,000 from the group.

Sgt. Darren Wilson, 41, was suspended without pay in March 2015, amid ongoing internal and criminal investigations into “financial irregularities” discovered by the Ethical Society of Police in December. As much as $200,000 went missing from the organization.

A federal grand jury indicted Wilson on Thursday on nine felony counts of wire fraud. The indictment remained sealed until Monday when he turned himself in, according to a press release from the U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Missouri.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2016 12:03 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
The article was redacted until you answer a survey question so I didn't read it.

But you're right, he isn't too ethical. Hope he gets some bad boy time.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2016 03:00 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wilson has been a city police officer since March 1997. He is not related to the former Ferguson police officer of the same name, whose shooting of Michael Brown sparked nationwide attention.

Wilson was president of the Ethical Society of Police in 2013 and 2014, which gave him signature authority over the group’s bank account and access to funds in the organization’s account with checks and an ATM/debit card, according to the indictment. The money came mostly from monthly dues from the group’s members.

The indictment alleges that between July 2013 and December 2014 Wilson used the money for his own purposes, and transmitted some of the misappropriated money byFed Wire, PayPal, and Western Union wire transfers. To conceal his fraudulent activity, Wilson presented false information to the group’s officers and members.

Each count of the indictment carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison and/or a fine up to $250,000.The Ethical Society of Police discovered irregularities in December 2014. They were reported to police the next month, and the department launched internal and criminal investigations. St. Louis Police Chief Sam Dotson said Wilson has been on unpaid leave.

“Criminal conduct by any employee will not be tolerated,” Dotson said in a statement. ”The actions of Wilson are not representative of the hard work and dedication of the men and women who serve the St. Louis community. We hold our officers to the highest standards and when they fall short of what we expect, we take action.”

Dotson has said that no public money was missing and that all of it came from dues of members of the Ethical Society.
Wilson’s attorney, Timothy J. Smith of Maplewood-based Rudman & Smith, characterized his client as an “outstanding citizen” with a “long history of being an outstanding police officer.”
He said he expects his client to be released on his own recognizance and said a hearing has been set for April 21.

“I would caution anyone to a rush to judgment regarding this,” he said. “Certainly if there’s anyone who deserves the benefit of the doubt, it’s certainly someone of Mr. Wilson’s character.”
‘NO OFFICER IS ABOVE THE LAW’

Sgt. Heather Taylor was appointed as president of the Ethical Society of Police after the organization removed Wilson from his position. She thanked the department for its investigation.

”We came forward to Internal Affairs to report one of our own officers for what we believed was wrongdoing, and they initiated an investigation which we believe was fair and comprehensive,” she said. “We’re in agreement with the indictment.

“What was done was wrong, and no officer is above the law,” she added. “We must adhere to the same laws we enforce.”

Taylor said the group has instituted changes to how its finances are handled to ensure “this never happens again.”

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2016 06:45 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, illegal. Theft, but it's chump change. Hillary could show this group how to make a few bucks!

You know, it's best not to tempt anybody because you never know who is honest, but weak. I worked for a company about 20 years ago and read in the local newspaper that this nice lady was arrested for stealing $400,000 from the company. I couldn't believe it, she was the last person I would suspect of something like that. Apparently, she had a gambling problem?

Remember, "It's a good thing." Martha Stewart went to prison, as unbelievable as that sounds. Generally speaking, I never think of females as thieves. I guess it's human nature?

But, what do we do about dishonest cops? Throw the book at them or slap them on the wrist?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: I clicked on the link and answered the question with the reply; "prefer not to answer" and got right in, but there was nothing there beyond what Dan already posted above.

My question is: 49, why were you afraid to answer the question for access? Is there some danger that I am unaware of?

[ September 16, 2016, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2016 11:56 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I am just suspicious of internet "click bait," if you will.

No good reason..just my preference.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters