The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Rio Olympics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rio Olympics
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted August 09, 2016 07:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know. I haven't watched it at all, just scanned a few headline results.

I just want to point out that Kim Rhode is from my hometown, El Monte, California. If you don't know who she is, I give up?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/07/25/kim-rhode-sixth-olympics/87507104/

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2016 10:14 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I finally am watching the Olympics tonight. You guys may not know this, but I was a swimmer, once upon a time. My team mate Lance Larson did pretty well in Rome 1960 and some people today still think he was robbed out of gold in the 100 free. He took silver. He's a dentist in Orange County.

Anyway, US is doing pretty good.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lance_Larson#Olympics

[ August 09, 2016, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2016 05:24 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched some of it. But can never see things I would like to watch.
I actually find it boring now a days.
K. Armstrong is married to a local guy I grew up and went to school with his brother and sister.
She's done a lot for bike riding.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2016 06:05 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife loves watching the Olympics, both winter and summer. I don't get too wrapped up in it, but when its on every evening in our house, I can't help but notice.

I don't know diddly about swimming, but loved to see the American swimmer talk smack to the roid-popping-Russian and than kick her ass in the pool. Watching Phelps take out the smart-ass who was dogging him was pretty fun also.

I kinda like that world record line shown on the screen when the swimming event is going on.

What always amazes me is a large number of the athletes from all over the world, in the most popular events are trained here. Hell, if it wasn't for us there wouldn't be much competition for us.

Interesting Leonard. I didn't know you were a competitive swimmer...

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted August 10, 2016 07:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I was. Mostly breaststroke and freestyle. I couldn't "fly" to save my life. One thing though. they have changed styles so much I hardly recognize the strokes now? Much has changed but I still find it interesting. Hell, the girls today beat my times! That's embarrassing!

Good hunting. El Bee

In that Wikipedia click, there is one that directs to world records for the butterfly and Lance held the record twice back in ancient history. Also, notice where he went to school? El Monte, of course! His dad owned a 76 gas station in town. In his day, he was unbeatable.

edit: PS on the world record graphic they show, if it's in play. One thing they don't talk about very much is that some pools are fast and some very slow. They are still figuring out how to design the gutters to keep turbulence down. Water temperature is very important, as well.

[ August 10, 2016, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2016 10:56 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Water temperature is very important, as well
My hypothesis....the colder it is, the faster you go!

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2016 08:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you may be right, but. In my experience. I did not like cold water. It bothered my breathing. So, what I'm saying, there might be an ideal temperature, kind of like Goldie Locks, not too hot and not too cold; but, just right. I did not like the shock of a cold pool. Besides, (you know) it causes shrinkage! Really warm water is suffocating, that's for sure.

Damn! They sure have a lot of things, like that gear on the floor to help in gauging the turn in backstroke. The floats between lanes are very effective on turbulence. Notice how they are color coded.

Hell, we didn't even have goggles, my eyes used to get so bloodshot from the chlorine, we watched the black marks on the bottom very carefully for the flip turns. Very important not to get caught with half a stroke, it's very much like the plate for the broad jump and triple step,it has to be just right. A race can be won and lost with a well executed turn.

God, we used to have so many false starts! These guys are a lot more disciplined than we were.

Also, just like the female gymnasts, the body conformation eliminates so many. It's the same thing in swimming. All those girls are Amazons with broad shoulders, most are six footers. The guys are more like 6'5" and look at Michael Phelps. The guy is a freak, short legs, long torso and even longer arms. For competitive swimming, he is just as ideal as those little 4'10" little girls are built for gymnastics. He makes sure to tuck his ears into his cap, otherwise, what a drag!

They have refined and modified the strokes and the leg kicks. I'm not even sure I could do what they do? Even the dolphin kicks coming out of the turns. that really cuts down on the physical exertion, they are just gliding almost a third of the pool length with a powerful kick off from the wall.

Man, these new techniques are revolutionary, incrementally, but they sure add up. I mean, just think about 49 seconds for a 100 meter butterfly! That's pretty insane! I can't comprehend the times they are turning in these days. And, the weight training we did, just rubber stretching, no real lifting weights.

I'm impressed!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 12, 2016 05:24 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
My son was tested for a condition called Marfan's Syndrome where the connective tissue is weaker than in someone without it. people with MS typically end up taller than average, long limbs, long fingers and toes, and a noticeably narrow palate. dal was diagnosed about the same time Phelps got his first notoriety. I guess a lot of NBA players are MF'ers. The doctors think dal's brain injury was due in part to this. It can be fatal because the walls of the aorta are weaker than normal and can suddenly burst when you're older. Phelps looks like the typical MF'er to me, and damn, that guy can swim.

I wish swimming had been big around here when dal was young. That guy is still barely 120#, 5'8", and skinny as a twig with long fingers and large palms. I recall once in Edmund, OK, we were at a motel overnight with a large pool. He was challenging all the other kids there to races. Beat 'em all by multiple lengths. Back then, you could throw him in a pool and he'd go like strapping an Evinrude on a popsicle stick.

That cold water shrinkage might be a good way to reduce drag, ya know. As it is at that level with anything, there is so much, and so many variables the regular observer knows little to nothing about, like temperature versus water density and the like.

Kinda like Poo Poo. He probably don't know shit about the Olympics either.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2016 06:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Her's a clip about the American shooter from EL MONTE, CALIFORNIA!

It seems like "history" only matters when you are black? Six Olympics in a row and we hear nothing about that history. Why is that? I think it's suppressed because our "impartial" Media does not want to promote anything to do about guns.

And, you think we don't have CENSORSHIP in this country? On some issues, it's worse than Russia or China. If it concerns firearms, it's a closed issue, almost completely censored. They need to promote the muslim wearing a stupid head covering instead.

Our MEDIA has a lot to answer for.

Good hunting. El Bee

http://video.foxnews.com/v/5088371864001/female-shooter-makes-olympic-history-is-neglected-by-media-/?#sp=show-clips

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted August 18, 2016 08:59 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a guy from Russell, Kansas, who is the father of one of my high school class mates, Bill Morris III, who got the Bronze in the '64 Tokyo Olympics in trap.

He tied for 2nd, but lost the coin flip and got the Bronze Medal.

He is still shooting trap and going strong. He was in the Army and part of the Army trap team at the time he went to Tokyo. He said that he had the best 'job' in the Army. Got up every day, had breakfast, and then shot at least 1 1/2 cases of shells on the trap range.

If you get Guns and Ammo, his picture was with the whole '64 Shooting team on the back page within the last couple of months.

His Bronze Medal in '64 was the first US medal won since the 20's in trap shooting.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters