The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Idaho Fires (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Idaho Fires
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2016 03:25 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
The big one is the Pioneer fire just to the NE of Idaho City. It's a monster and growing bigger each day. Anyone coming in and thinking of using Hwy 21 it's closed just above Idaho City to Lowman.
Everyone is having to use Hwy 17 through Garden Valley to get into Lowman and Stanley if coming from the west.
Roughly 30 more days of fire season, pray for rain as in monsoon moisture and cooler temps.
These 100 degree temps and low RH's are killers.
Back to work today. Love sitting at 6,000 feet in 100 degree heat. It mean little to no wind and bugs out the ass. Mainly flying ants doing their peaking thing. Biting horse flies and anything else. I hate August it's always 6 months long. Yeah I know I'm bitching this morning heat does strange things to me anymore.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2016 07:48 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking forward to winter already. Snow & fog, bring it on !!
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 28, 2016 08:10 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm afraid I'm wishing my life away but I'm ready for some cooler temps, too. You can keep the fog.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2016 07:32 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Pioneer now 16K plus acres. Jumped hwy 21 and into the Edna creek drainage moving towards the N fork of the Boise River.
It's such a waste of habitat.
Keep hoping for west winds.
Seeing Boise is totally smoked in this morning with smoke drifting down all the drainages slowly moving westward. Come on west winds!!
Plus have Altocumulus clouds now in the valley (fore runners of storms to come). This could be the start of the fire season big time. It's so dry out you sneeze or fart wrong and you will start a fire. lol Central part of the state goes into fire restrictions Monday.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2016 07:56 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Pioneer 18k and still blowing. 9% R.H. today.
New fire at Unity OR. Smoke is clear to Cascade/McCall area tonight.
Fire season is here.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2016 07:36 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Pioneer is 27k and still roaring.
I've got 22% RH at 6,000 foot elevation this morning. Which means the valleys will be single digits.
Have a 500 plus acre fire in Unity OR and has filled the treasure valley with smoke. Oh goody.
My other half he had lightning in his part of the world the other day and got a 500 acre fire out by the 45 Ranch. They caught it. But it was almost out by the time the crews arrived all grass no brush.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2016 08:05 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I must be getting the smoke from Oregon. I guess there's another one east of Pendleton, they had the freeway closed.
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2016 02:23 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
It's smoke from OR.
I see OR and WA is on fire expect more smoke with these west winds.
Pioneer fire is 48k and approaching Lowman.
Sure hope not need to travel to Challis next days off.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2016 06:04 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
It's weird, leaving work last night, a hot west wind, a bit later a strong north wind blew in & cooled things off. Very pleasant @ dusk. Playing Pokémon-Goat.

Clear as a bell over here, for now anyway ?

[ August 03, 2016, 06:05 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2016 07:05 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Enjoy it. The anniversary for the Soda Fire is the 10 of this month.

Enjoyed the cool temps all day. Going to miss it.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2016 12:23 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, sure enough gettin' pretty smoky from the Unity-Or fire.

I wonder how many acres this will be Monday ? It was 500 acres this Monday or 7k now.
http://www.bluemountaineagle.com/Local_News/20160805/rail-fire-5-percent-contained-friday-morning

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2016 05:15 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Got a text late last night from a friend on a lookout just above the Rail fire. She finally evacuated last night. Then found she could have stayed talking with some guys on the line. She was spitting nails over it.
Nothing worse than making a lookout leave the mtn. top. I've done it twice and didn't like it either time. Took another friend off another mountain top last night due to the Pioneer. It all sucks.
Hope none of you were coming to Idaho to bow hunt elk in the Lowman/Bear Valley area. Pioneer jumped Hwy 17 and was headed up the Deadwood River area last night. They won't catch this thing until Sept. Unless some weird monsoon moves through the area.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2016 08:52 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I find the rail fire interesting. A local was in last week & mentioned something about a timber sale coming up ? And poof now we have a fire.

Read the note: below the map in the link.
http://bluemountainfireinfo.blogspot.com/

[ August 08, 2016, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2016 05:50 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't put any truth into anyone walking in and saying something like unless they are the ones that did it.
But the Rail fire was man-caused.
It took them 2 weeks to finally say the Pioneer was lightning caused. If it's by a road it could be man-caused usually. Unless there is a lightning storm directly in the area. If it's in a roadless area and there had been lightning in the area you can almost say it's lightning caused. Not all the time but close to it. I've seen lightning hold overs show up 2 weeks later.
The Cherry fire I seen the strike go down. Waited all day nothing and thought I made it. Got down to the main road a guy stopped me and told me. So I ran up the county road to confirm it. Called dispatch and drove 7 miles back up one of the worst wash boarded road on the earth. Only lucky thing was it was grass and lite brush and at the end of the day(burn period). So we caught it.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2016 02:49 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Pioneer is blowing again today.
Looks closer though.
The only good thing is 95% of our wind directions is usually out of the SW,W,NW. If we were to get a good East wind. The world would really be in trouble.
They could have been doing a burn out, don't know but it was ugly looking for a while.

If I hadn't known what it was and was down in the valley and looked up and seen it I'd a said the end of world was coming.

Looking for SNOW, the heck with rain. [Razz]

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2016 05:19 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the smoke definitely makes things feel hotter. Sunday sucked, yesterday not to bad.

Right now is awful, just fed the critters. Will wait until about dusk to free the goats for awhile.

100 degrees and smoky is a big, no go...

No fucking wonder. I hate summer !! But, the stupid fuckin' TV tells everyone to go to the city pool !! Some of us have jobs. Imagine that ?

Ain't no pools around here, Amigos !!

Sorry for the rant [Wink]

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2016 07:45 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Rant all you want.
Just don't get me started.
Try 6k feet right in the middle of that crud.
Flying ants and other wonderful bugs.
No wind and to top it all off 7 miles of solid wash boarded road by stupid city people driving car's on dirt roads with no four wheel drive and they dig and scratch up the road and tear it all to hell. I'm using low range low and second gear to get up and down the main steep canyon because I can't get over 7 mph. NO ONE and I MEAN no one will use their four wheel drive and ease up.
And there isn't any water up there either. [Big Grin]

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2016 10:19 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
200 feet visability in garden valley this morning and right now.
Had a cell move through with 32mph wind gust can see the mtn tops to the east now. But still very hot with the smoke inversion holding all the heat in. COME ON SNOW!! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 17, 2016 08:02 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, come on snow !! I'm guessing these fires wont be out for awhile ? Hopefully September sometime ?

I'll tell y'all end of summer sucks, I'm @ my crankiest !! I heard a commercial on the radio today, mentioned how sad it is, summer is almost over.

Those folk must be on crack.. [Big Grin]

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2016 06:41 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh goody. This will finish off the Owyhee front ? 3500 to 30,000 acres overnight.

This has been one of my favorite area for years. Hunting, ATV rides & such.
http://www.ktvb.com/news/local/brush-fire-threatening-state-park-in-eastern-oregon /304318908

(edit) 11:00 am 50,000 acres.

[ August 22, 2016, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2016 06:23 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
They actually caught the dang thing that night.
It's been burned so much I'm surprised anything grew back.

I'd worry about the Rail fire it keeps moving eastward.

--------------------

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2016 02:34 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
What they caught the last team that pulled they lost it. It grew yesterday 30k acres. Now running towards the NE. It's on Miller Mtn. and just above Kirkham hotsprings by 9 miles.
These aholes can't even put out of wet dream.
Piss? Just mildly. Thinking of all the critters that died from wee thing, wing things, deer, elk, moose and bear. The loss of habitat that will not come back in our life time.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2016 03:17 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Must be the Pioneer fire that blew up again ?

I have a lot of thoughts but have been hesitant to say, because. I didn't know your involvement with fire fighting efforts ?

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2016 06:10 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"The loss of habitat that will not come back in our lifetime."

Actually, it may not be as bad as it looks.
In 2011 the Bear Wallow fire in Az. burnt >500,000 acres in a somewhat mosaic pattern. In 5 years the habitat has come back strong.
Sadly, the area is infested with wolves and the deer population is tanking.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2016 06:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but I understand where earthwalker is coming from. Remember everybody crying about the big Yellowstone fires 10-15 years ago? I guess that old growth that burned was a good thing. But, The Forest Service can't seem to get their policy straight. Put it out or let it burn?

Good hunting. El Bee

[ August 30, 2016, 06:19 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters