The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Well That Smarted!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Well That Smarted!
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2016 11:40 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
My good friend Mike Hodges, along with his friend also named Mike, and myself floated the Missouri over the weekend. Man, we had a great trip. Fishing there just never gets old despite the hundreds of guides, dudes, and fly swatting drift boats. While we don't enjoy seeing the hordes of people, we make our own fun and let the fish keep us distracted.

Here is one of the first fish of the day and I think the best rainbow I landed that day.
 -

Me doing my thing and right in the middle of my Happy Place!
 -

Mike's friend Mike had the magic touch for browns on the float. He caught more browns than the other two of us combined.
 -

Mike Hodges wasn't to be outdone and landed some very nice fish of his own.
 -

About an hour into the trip I was attempted to release a nice rainbow I had caught when he pitched a fit and the hook came loose unexpectedly. The lure came shooting back at my hand like at arrow and the treble hook buried itself in the tip of my left index finger. Hurt like a son of a gun. Pert near cussed. Anyway it took me a while but I was able to remove the hook from the lure, clip the other two barbs off, and then stabilize the hook with a Band-Aid so it wouldn't flop around or catch on anything. It was early in the trip and I didn't want everyone to have to cut their trip short on my account so we went right back to fishing. I fished for 5 more hours with that hook in my finger.
 -

The fishing was great and I had no regrets. Heck we even did a second float and picked up few more fish. Here's one from the second float of the day. The two Mike's kicked my butt for the size on browns. I thought mine were still decent though, plus I caught more fish than both of them combined, so that has to count for something. Did it with a hook in my finger no less, so Mike H verbally awarded me a Man Card for the day for toughing it out. [Smile]
 -

My favorite photo of the day is this one. This happened right at the end of our trip. Both Mike's hooked into great fish and we got a double landed in the boat. After that we wrapped up the day and headed back into Great Falls. The two Mike's went their way and I went to the hospital. Having the doctor remove the hook hurt way worse than the initial injury, but it's all good now and I hope to be back on the water this week. Lesson learned here, pinch all your barbs! I do it on a lot of lures , but this was a new lure and I had forgotten to pinch them. Had I done so, the hook extraction would have been simple and relatively painless. Learn from my mistake and save yourself a spendy trip to the doctor.
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 06:54 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
awesome, and yes, a man card you did earn.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 08:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent!

Man, I get so jealous of those beautiful Browns! They are kind of hard to come by, where I go.

I don't think I have ever snagged myself like that? I'd have been tempted to grit my teeth and yank it out. Or, maybe not?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 08:47 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
That's really cool !!

IMO..We need to stay positive, yet, stay grounded.

Nice, thread. It's refreshing !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2016 08:51 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seriously never known anyone to hook a big ol' sucker on spinner!?!?

Seriously cool fishing trip. Looks like good friends and a great trip! Way to hang in there!! [Wink]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frank
CAN START A FIRE WITH A BUCK KNIFE AND A ROCK
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2016 04:54 PM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
These Came out of the Red River.

The Red is probly one of the best rivers for huge catfish in the US.

-

-

[ July 08, 2016, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Frank ]

--------------------
"Truth is no prostitute, that throws herself away upon those who do not desire her; she is rather so coy a beauty that he who sacrifices everything to her cannot even then be sure of her favor".

Posts: 644 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2016 07:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hardly know ya, Frank? Are you on the Witness Protection Program, or what? Your features look altered.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters