The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » This moron's actions reflect on all gun owners

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This moron's actions reflect on all gun owners
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2016 10:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, he accidentally shot his son, this is unfortunate, of course. But, almost everyone has the presence of mind not to cover his nose when sneezing, with the same toilet paper that has a gob of shit on it from wiping his ass. When you have a loaded pistol in your hand, do you swat a fly that is tickling your ear? What the hell is wrong with people? If everybody reacted in this way, a shooting range would be dangerous, but I have never felt that way. Thanks to this moron, some Liberal will dream up a solution we won't need. But, a Liberal doesn't understand that sometimes, there is no solution when dealing with stupidity. A Liberal will think this is a perfectly understandable reaction, and I am thinking; NOT IN A MILLION YEARS ! Read on~

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/07/04/florida-teen-shoots-kills-himself-at-gun-range-described-as-one-worlds-safest.html?intcmp=hpbt3

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 06:59 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd bet that the father didn't have much trigger time himself. I say this because when helping new shooters learn to shoot, I see it all too often where they forget the "keep it pointed in the safe direction" rule, along with the "keep your finger off the trigger" rule. Those two things come natural to anyone that has shot for years, without even having to think about doing it. It becomes second nature. But for some reason, new shooters have a hard time remembering to always point in a safe direction and keep your finger off the damn trigger.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 08:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Colt Combat Commander that has a charmed life.

I remember the time we were out maybe twenty miles offshore and doing some shooting off the fantail in my parent's cabin cruiser. I had my nephew shoot the .45 with me behind and surrounding him. Might have been the first time he had ever fired a gun?

He had such a loose grip that it jumped out of his hands and I caught it within inches of the deep six! At least I was smart enough to only give him one round. But, I think of that quite a bit, this might have been 40 years ago?

Then, there's the time it was stolen....I got it back almost ten years later. It has a charmed life.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 09:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
latest It was a Ruger 22? and a ricochet. Hmm?

A Florida man who authorities say accidentally shot and killed his 14-year-old son at a shooting range is blaming himself -- not the gun -- for the death.

Clayton Brumby, 64, told the Tampa Bay Times a smoking hot shell casing went down the back of his shirt, causing him to flail both arms in the air Sunday afternoon at High Noon Guns, where the Sarasota family had gone for shooting practice. His finger was still on the trigger, which fired.

He heard his 24-year-old son yell, "Dad, Stephen's been shot."

The bullet from the .22-semi-automatic Ruger SR22 ricocheted off the ceiling and struck the teen in the jugular vein, Brumby told the newspaper.

"The gun didn't kill my boy," Brumby said. "I did."

Brumby said the gun belonged to his 12-year-old daughter.

Brumby said he has been shooting for about three years. Stephen took up shooting about 18 months ago and his father says he was "a natural" who would "shoot anything."

Brumby's version of events differed slightly from the one offered by the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office. Deputies based their account on what witnesses told them. According to the report, Brumby tried to remove the casing, which had bounced in the back of his shirt, with his right hand, which also held the weapon.

"While doing so, he inadvertently pointed the firearm directly behind him and accidently fired," the sheriff's report said.

Brumby said he preaches gun safety. "That's why yesterday was so stupid and freaky on me because the gun is supposed to be pointed down range at all times," he said Monday. "My first thought was `That was pretty stupid of me. I should've put the gun down."'

Sarasota County Sheriff's officials are calling the shooting was accidental. As of Monday, no charges were planned.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 03:18 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a friend who has a reasonable amount of trigger time, even has a CCW. Every single time I shoot with him I have to tell him to get his finger out of the trigger guard, usually more than once. Nothing to do with the story, just made me think of him.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 06:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a real problem with a few guys I have hunted with, that use AR's.

I religiously make my gun safe, when removing it from the back and putting it away between stands. I lift the bolt handle and pull it back, maybe half way or so? Then I put it in the case and zip it partially.

These guys engage the safety and sometimes slide the AR into a case, pointing towards the cab.

I'm not comfortable with that, but don't know if I am being unreasonable? Maybe sideways? But, I don't like to have a loaded AR in my truck with the muzzle pointing forward, and the safety on. I don't like the noise associated with chambering a round in an AR.

So, what do all of you black assault rifle users do, between stands?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Frank
CAN START A FIRE WITH A BUCK KNIFE AND A ROCK
Member # 6

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2016 06:45 PM      Profile for Frank   Author's Homepage   Email Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
God's process of natural selection at work. No need to worry. God naturally eiminates the stupid.

--------------------
"Truth is no prostitute, that throws herself away upon those who do not desire her; she is rather so coy a beauty that he who sacrifices everything to her cannot even then be sure of her favor".

Posts: 644 | From: North Dakota | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2016 05:17 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
when I was using a "black rifle" as my main calling rig, I simply dropped the mag., cleared the round out of the chamber and locked the bolt back, between stands. Then when I got out of the truck at the next spot, insert mag. and hit the bolt release button and let er' slam home. Never worried about a coyote hearing it slam shut because I figure if there's a coyote close enough to hear it slam shut then the coyote sure as hell heard the vehicle pull up and come to a stop, and if that didn't spook it off, then a bolt slamming shut wouldn't either.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2016 06:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, but you have obviously given the situation some thought, unlike most AR users.

Maintain. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 08, 2016 11:13 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I am anal about gun safety and handling. I do exactly what TR does when going from stand to stand with my AR. With my bolt guns, round in the chamber gets cleared, gets put back in the magazine, and bolt kept open until the next stand…same with shotguns when hunting birds.

I figure I had better walk the walk since I talk the talk in my hunter education classes. More so since I teach the gun handling, safety and ethics portion.

In 27 years of teaching, I have only failed one student that actually passed the final test. He was jacking around during the live fire portion of the class—fortunately an instructor caught the muzzle of the gun before it covered the rest of the class standing behind the firing line.

We had two fatalities here in Kansas in the last two years that were specifically due to unsafe handling. One happened last December when a 54 year old guy was getting his rifle out from behind the seat of the pickup. He grabbed it muzzle first and pulled it toward him. Rifle was loaded and the trigger caught on something coming out of the back. .270 in the chest at 18” made him DRT.

The other fatality happened when an older guy loaded his Brittany in the bed of the pickup, and placed his shotgun, muzzle toward the cab, in the bed, too. He did not bother to take the live round from the chamber. He gets in the cab to pour himself a cup of coffee, dog does what dogs do and got tangled up in the trigger guard, got the safety off, and said gun goes off with the blast going through the cab and killing the guy.

No coyote, deer or game bird is worth the time it takes to be safe…

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2016 05:27 AM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm such an avant guarde cowboy. I ride from stand to stand with locked and loaded EBR propped butt down between my legs, because AZ law allows it. There's no doubt in my mind that someday I'll blow my head off. Hopefully I won't get struck by lightning first. I've said it before, I'll say it again...the more you mess with a machine, the better the chance of YOU fucking up.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2016 06:03 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Empty chambers only in my vehicles.

My ritual, since forever, at the end of the stand I clear the chamber and pick a target to dry fire on. Think the dry fire on every stand might actually help slow the oxidation process just a tad.

At the truck, muzzle to the sky and just pull the trigger before the rifle goes in the rig. Hasn't gone off yet. But, ought to scare the shit out of me if it ever does and that's the point.

Actually know of three fatalities within my circle of acquaintance from either sloppy handling of a known loaded gun or thinking one was empty when it wasn't. Two of those from my partner Tim's family. His uncle got killed by a duck hunting partner putting a known loaded shotgun in a truck window gun rack. His nephew got killed by a friend handling a thought to be empty pistol.

Know, personally, two others that have been shot but not killed in similar fashion.

It definitely does happen...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2016 12:39 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
DAA's post brings up something that I've always thought should be included in Hunter Safety courses.
"Picking Your Hunting / Shooting Partner 101"
or
'The guy who plays Damn Fool with the guns doesn't ever get included in the plans again.'

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters