The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Beats Watching The News

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Beats Watching The News
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2016 01:53 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
When do the colors green and gold equate to awesome table fare? Well when perch are involved of course. [Smile] Fun day fishing off the dock. We threw back more than we kept, but it sure was a ton of fun. Beats the heck out of watching news and politics!!!
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2016 03:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure brings back memories. I used to catch a bunch of perch when I was a kid. Haven't caught one, since. But, as far as eating, as I remember, they were just as good tasting as what we called "sunfish" in the north woods. Of course, the adults wanted to eat Walleyes, but the kids liked the perch and sunfish. We could catch them, the walleyes required special gear besides worms.

A few of those shown would be lunkers, where I come from.; which is Minnesota. For my money, I'd rather catch a Northern (Pike) than anything. I thought they were good eating, I think my mom soaked them in brine and then deep fried them.

Everybody we knew spent two weeks in the summer up north at some lake and fished all day, every day. For us it was a different lake every year. My secret weapon was the frogs I managed to catch but most everybody else used a "chub", or a regular minnow, if not some kind of spoon? The larger perch would take a minnow but all mine were caught on earthworms, or cut bait. I never heard them called "yellow perch" before, just plain perch, and most of the big people, serious fishermen threw them back.

Thanks for sharing, Troy!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31270 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2016 07:05 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I also caught a lot of perch when I was a kid. My mom cooked them up and they were damned good eating. When I was working in Vermont I fished for trout in a tributary of the Connecticut River and the holes were loaded with perch. I always kept the big ones. Lots of fun on flies.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2016 08:32 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of quantity, I'd have to say that I caught more bullheads and Carp than anything, by a lot. Never ate any of them. A rare prize was a bass and mostly smallmouth. I never caught a trout until we moved to California.

My dad believed that the way to fish Rainbows was the same as how he used to catch Walleyes. It took me a while to learn that this was erroneous, bless his heart. I think he was just mainly feeding them, because he didn't catch many? Funny how old folks get set in their ways....look who's talking.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31270 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 01, 2016 02:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
About a 100 years ago, before the lamprey eels and the alewives took Lake Michigan over, yellow perch were the fish to catch. Good sized ones.
Vendors at the piers sold minnows and rented cane poles and the piers were usually lined with people.
When the schools came thru it was like the 'wave' at a football game. Poles coming up with a perch, re-bait as fast as you could, catch a couple more and then wait for the next school to come thru.

Old memories.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7484 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters