The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Saddle up!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saddle up!
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2016 01:39 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Saddle up that tortoise, LB. I found a way for you to come visit.

http://www.kansas.com/news/local/article86119167.html

Joseph McCoy, the man that plotted the Chisolm Trail was the original founder of Abilene. In fact, the first home I owned here sat on land that was originally deeded to McCoy from the Territory of Kansas and now sits on what used to be one of the holding pens in the stockyards along the railway. That POS house is 130+ years old now. Glad I sold it.

This sounds like quite the adventure for someone so inclined to take part. Should be a blast. The organizers were in town last week getting the green light from local officials to bring them into town and drive them to the local rodeo facilities and holding pens where they are supposed to be auctioned off. I need a bigger backyard if I'm gonna buy one.

I will say, as a breed, I love 'em. There's always a certain amount of risk and trepidation in calling around beef cattle. Black angus, red angus and herefords are pretty common here. Dickinson Cunty regularly produces 70,000+ cattle for market each year. The problem with them is if you're calling predators when or around the time they have calves, you need to be able to run, or at least, have partners who are slower than you. The first distress sounds you offer will bring every pissed off mama cow in the herd at a dead run. I stay clear the hell out if they have newborns because I don't want to get a calf injured by being stepped on if I can avoid it.

Vocalizations trigger similar responses - they either come running, or they group up like musk oxen, pushing the calves to the middle of the bunch.

Longhorns are entirely different. You can have fifty head of longhorn cows with calves on a half-section of grass when you start laying into the call so sad and distressed that you make yourself cry. Maybe, one of them might start meandering your way, but rarely. The calves will move toward mama and they just go about doing cow stuff.

Now, get too close and things change. They're pretty well aware that they have that hardware on their heads and they'll just stand there watching you from the corner of their eye until you get into their personal space. Then they'll swing that head around and put a beating on you.

The teen aged longhorns are a pain in the ass. One big feedlot I hunt around had several hundred and the pens were all made of schedule 40 pipe, about five feet high, tethered to telephone pole posts with rebar wraps. I had two big angus bulls there for the party blocking my normal route, so I decided to do the around route by walking along the backside, outside the feeding pen, but inside the large enclosure where the youngsters were at. As soon as I was spotted, here they came. Put me up on that post like a rodeo clown, hiking my feet out of the way as they raked the pipes beneath me with their horns trying to peel me off.

Sumbitches.

My gunner Kevin is deathly afraid of cattle. Period. Doesn't matter what kind. A bunch of pissed mamas ran him into a farm pond one day when he was fishing and wouldn't let him out. I convinced him to call the feedlot pasture one time - and only one time - by telling him there was nothing to worry about.

I called a coyote in. Shot it. It began spinning. Out of nowhere, this big red bitch with black shoulders and a four-foot spread of horn came charging in and stomped the living shit outta my coyote. I went out and run her off waving my shooting sticks at her while Kevin ran for the nearest fence line. Only time I've seen them ever even react to me.

Feedlot sold them all. The guys out there said they got tired of doctoring horses when they'd have to move those cattle. If they got close to one, without warning, they'd swing around and hit their horse in the flank with a horn tip. Punctured a couple horses. Sent a couple guys on a helluva ride, too.

Yippy ki-yay

[ June 27, 2016, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2016 05:12 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a steer pin me against a wall, one time.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31415 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted June 28, 2016 04:30 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I drove up the Chisolm trail 2 weeks ago and saw hundreds of hot rods making their way to Remington Park. Much better use of the "trail".

Why anyone would pay to work is beyond me.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted June 28, 2016 05:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT HE SAID ^

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31415 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters