The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Goats (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Goats
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2016 05:36 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I'm burned out on politics. Update on the goats.

Two weeks now, we've had 'em. Things are pretty dang smooth, thus far. These guys crack me up, they yearn for attention. Takes about 5 minutes out of my day in the morning to feed/water & pet them.

Do the same after work, except turn 'em out. To graze/play & such. Sophie cracks me up, she jumps up on top of my well head & balances herself like it's nuthin'

Good times [Smile]

[ June 24, 2016, 05:38 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2016 11:30 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
They are great fun until they grow up.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2016 03:54 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, what do you mean? Do they get cranky, or indifferent, or what?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: anybody?

[ June 25, 2016, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2016 09:33 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know. Guess, I'll find out ?

Right now my worry is one jumping on the hood of my wife's car, while roaming free around the place.

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2016 04:50 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
They get bigger and grumpy at times.
Dirty and they eat anything from flowers, fruit trees bark and all. They will butt glass doors and mine would chase and butt my mom.
I can't remember how much I paid for him at the auction but only sold him for $20 or so.
Yes, that was in the 70's. That goat would be worth a fortune now a days. lol

[ June 26, 2016, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: earthwalker ]

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2016 11:05 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, yeah that's kinda what, I'm expecting down the road. These Nigerians don't get very big, that's why we got 'em.

I know they won't stay like puppies forever..Lol

This summer, I need to run a cross fence @ the end of the pasture, so they have room to roam & not so much around the house, in free range mode..

Of course it's special, three or four strands of barbed wire ain't keepin' these guys in !!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2016 08:19 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, learning Goats. 1'st lesson. Don't bend over to check on the other goat. [Big Grin]
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/13672582_10208967018004096_1697343447_n.jpg?oh=e6a1b81286ce42e03d1b994f6f9bd4c5&oe=57878F8E

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2016 06:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cute!

So, better than a puppy?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2016 05:28 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'm not sure about that LB. Sure is a new experience for me though, wouldn't have had time for this stuff when younger.

It's funny how life changes. Neighbor keeps bringing different horses over to help eat my little pasture. Keeps hinting he's to old for all this stuff.

I think he's trying to talk me into a couple of horses. That in itself is a whole 'nother conversation.

They are kinda like pets for sure. I don't think they like cold weather, so this winter will be interesting.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2016 09:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Seems like horses are a big responsibility, they need care and proper foods like molasses and oats and carrots and apples not to mention alfalfa, not to mention vets and farrier. I think you have to wash them and what they call currier, is it? I think they need grooming? Actually, I don't know much about horses? But they sound like an unneeded expense, not to mention tack if you plan on riding them?

I'll pass. I still have a kink in my back from getting kicked by one of those bastards. I actually almost brained that son of a bitch. Seriously This close! I should have. I think I hate horses.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2016 04:09 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Been eating goat curry all week long for supper, go figure! Found a kick azz recipe on a traditional Trinidad cooking site, good stuff...

Just sayin', if the goats don't like the cold, you could always curry 'em, or tuck 'em in next to the mashed taters?

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2016 06:34 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, my wife would cook me for supper before the goats !!
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2016 07:32 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, your horse thoughts pretty much mirror mine.

We have a number of 5 acre "horse ranches" right around out house and all I have to do to see a giant money pit is look into the neighbors pastures. I also can see a convoy of diesel pickups and horse trailers parked at each house along with a horse barn.

Playing cowboy ain't cheap from my perspective...

One neighbor has five horses and I've never seen him saddle one up in at least 5+ years. He told me awhile back that two of his hayburners aren't even broke and they are at least 10 years old. He isn't well off from all appearances either, but he does have his horses.

I had another neighbor horse lady call me a couple years ago asking if they could pasture a couple horses on our pasture since we didn't have anything mowing the grass down. "It would be good for the grass" she told me. All you have to do to see how good it is for the grass is take a look at her pasture and the non-existent grass... No thanks, I told her.

I know some people use them and really enjoy them, but I also see people who are literally horse poor, but wouldn't dare sell. Raise some beef and actually turn a profit seems to not even enter their minds.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2016 06:32 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of truth in Leonard & Lonny's posts.

I kinda ran with a horse crowd if you will back in the 90's. Tried penning & roping, wasn't worth a shit. Yes knew plenty of horse poor folks also.

Kinda funny how some lived in in crappy house or whatever, yet drive a new diesel & fancy gooseneck trailer. I suppose it's whatever one considers a priority ?

Yeah, the old guy across the road doesn't ride either. I'm sure he's fine on money though.

I'll probably buy a grass calve or two this spring. I'll tell ya though, looking out there, those damn horses sure are pretty though [Cool]

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2016 09:48 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I do agree with you Dave, I'd sure rather look out my window at horses than more people, houses, and hear barking dogs. So yeah, they are nice to look at and have around in that regard! [Smile]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2016 11:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose everybody has noticed the prejudice out in the pastures? Horses and cows do not mix well. They won't even allow the cows to munch around the edges where they take a dump. I'm not even sure how they take a drink?

Good hunting. El Bee

PS, I remember reading a Louie LaMour novel once in which he talked about a cowboy's relationship with his horse. Hardly Roy Rogers and Trigger. And they all rode mares because they couldn't help shooting the ornery stallions, if they couldn't get close enough to de nut them? I'm pretty sure Obama has been Gelded.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2016 08:38 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess, I didn't know that ? Never really thought about it, to be honest. Interesting.

Goats seem to go with 'em though ?

A quick story, my boss used to have a mare & a goat. They were best buddy's, that damn goat would somehow jump up on the horses back & the horse would just walk around. She didn't care ?

Anyway he never road her & donated her to some girl in 4H when they came to get the horse the goat went into the trailer also. He says well, guess you're getting the goat also !!

He heard later every time she took that horse for a ride, the goat had to always tag along. The horse wouldn't go unless the goat came with !!

[ July 17, 2016, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted July 17, 2016 10:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I kinda love that story, Dave. Got any more?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 17, 2016 06:21 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Gosh, sorry, I'm fresh out for now ?

Daughter snapped a few photos tonight though.

#horses&goats matter.. Lol
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.f bcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13731502_10209012565222748_7210206805400827485_n.jpg?oh=4c2ee9eb9a416e967f1c0cf1a026960c&oe=5828FB71
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/l/t1.0-9/13669803_10209012570782887_6822164405991382015_n.jpg?oh=ec81d893a1fe532bf49bf7cd4598cf96&oe=582C9976

[ July 17, 2016, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2016 04:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So now you are a member of the Bucolic Landed Gentry? Them critters sure are cute. What kind of a sound do they make? I see they are still dragging that rope around. Sleep in the bed with ya, once in a while?

Any delayed bad news about your recent property purchase? I remember Danny Batistini sure had some bad luck buying a little spread to call his own. I think there is an establishment up in Idaho that still has his game trophies on the wall after a deal didn't turn out like he expected. New Mexico was similar except at least he boxed his call collection and donated it to Foxpro.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ July 18, 2016, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2016 06:09 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
We've been there eight months now LB, so far so good. Yeah, I still have 'em on leashes, they like to dash to the road on occasion. Helps to grab a hold of the little rascals [Wink]

One time, I didn't get the back door closed tight, sure enough in the house they go. Yeah, they probably would like to sleep in there [Smile]

They make that baah, baah, sound.

[ July 18, 2016, 06:10 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 18, 2016 07:04 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd rather have a bad ride on a horse any day over a good walk.
My goat(kid) one time got through the back door ran into the house hit the kitchen chair skidded across the kitchen table went down the other side turned around and went back across before mom kicked us both out of the house. lol

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2016 04:05 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know earthwalker, my neighbor had a "bad" horseride...

2 summers ago, she was riding and something spooked her horse. She ended up getting drug and sustained a very serious skull injury.

She was in rehab and the hospital for months. She is not the same person anymore by a longshot. She can live on her own, kinda. But lost custody of her kids and can't do her former job anymore.

Last spring, I was talking with her and a jet was flying over and she looked up and commented on the geese flying.... I feel sorry for her because I think she knows she's not right in the head anymore, but can't do anything about it.

I realize many things could caused her injury, but 1000 lb animals with brains the size of a pea seem to raise the odds.

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 19, 2016 05:09 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
The reason is most of these stupid women think they are riding a giant dog. Most of the horses aren't broke, and the riders are novices.
I look and look at horses on Craigslist and they are anywhere from 6-10 year old horses that haven't ever been ridden.
My first horse was a 6 year old gelding. I rode him with a halter and bareback for years. He taught me how to get on and how to ride. If not he'd put me on the ground from brushing me off on fence posts spooking from anything. Most of these horses are not ridden daily and worked with. They are just giant pasture eaters.

I'm sorry for your friend. Horses can and will hurt you big time. Had enough stepped on toes from them. Had a shetland pony rear over on top of me on time. There was a roll of barbed wire in the grass. It scratched my back 3 nice big scratches. I still carry those scares from back then. All my scares protrude.
I guess all my horses were solid types. I did have a few rotten ones. But most of the time a horse needs miles of riding and I mean miles.

[ July 19, 2016, 05:18 AM: Message edited by: earthwalker ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted July 19, 2016 06:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Most, (well, some) of my friends up in Mormon Lake favored a length of 2X4 to get their horse's attention. Never knew it was coming, either. You know, a dog will react as soon as he sees you moving towards the stick. Ol' Dobbin just barely notices he has company, the smarter ones. And, they can kill ya accidentally or intentionally. What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters