The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Goats (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Goats
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2016 11:08 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody here have 'em ?

I probably need my head examined, because we bought two baby (two months old) Nigerians last night. We put them on leashes last night & this morning, little bastards eat everything..

This place came with a goat shed/pen. If, I can figure out how to keep the female from jumpin' out, I'll have it licked ?

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to Spanish / Catalina goats.
Got three of them on the wall & one that's in the Calif. Bowman Hunters record book.

An old timer once told me "If the Devil walks the earth, it's in the form of a goat!"

Good luck & consider deep pit bbq-ing 'em. [Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2016 11:53 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I like Boer goats, they are "meat" goats, and have a body conformation akin to a meat lamb.
Other goat breeds, look like Holstein cows, all bone, no muscle, AKA edible meat.
You essentially have a weed eater that shits and makes noise, but they are cute little bastards.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2016 01:37 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know but I'm kinda positive towards goats! Those little Nubians are cute as hell. Goats seem to be naturally friendly to humans, unlike a lot of animals. If I had a country place, I might find a place for a goat or two. They need protection from coyotes. My grandson has one and his biggest bitch is that his goat keeps climbing on his car.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2016 02:53 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Lol on the comments. Yeah we have twice heard coyotes out back here so far, the wife is kinda worried.

Damn, these little bastard are cute as hell, friendly also. My Father in Law dropped by & they just kinda wandered & followed us around.

I need to go tidy up the shed. I have 'em in a temporary pen in the back yard now. With a sheet of press board, over the top, I found out back to keep Sophie from jumping out. [Smile]

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2016 06:59 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I are also partial to goats. We were buying eggs from a farmer near us. They have a lot of livestock including Nubian goats. One time I went by when they weren't home and I started hearing some serious bleating. It was a baby Nubian that they'd taken in as a pet. The thing was used to being fed and pampered by people so when it saw me it ran over to be spoiled. They even took it in the house. Cute as hell. I had a picture but lost it when I changed laptops.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2016 07:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My son's ex girlfriend, (the one with 35 dogs) had some goats. I don't remember what they are, but rather large, and it doesn't matter, anyway? But, she was forever chasing the goats out of the alfalfa for the horses, they were quite clever at gaining access, and too spoiled to eat weeds anymore; makes a game out of it.

She's also the one with 30+ rescue cats. She's the reason that the vet she works for can claim to be no kill. She adopts damned near everything, it's crazy. Even a pet cow with long horns, I want to say Aberdeen, has long hair, tame as hell, but actually worthless. And the donkey, and the chickens and seriously, I'd hate to pay this woman's feed bill. Did I mention the horses? And, that's another thing. The vet bills, even though she gets huge discounts, and the blacksmith.

I think she has something seriously wrong with her, and it's only because her mother bankrolls the whole spread. Why? The woman is lonely. The both of them maintain adequately with great life insurance from when her brother, (airline pilot) died. Enough gossip.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 12, 2016 01:21 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I had a dairy goat breed many years ago. THEY WILL eat anything and everything.
I'd have boer goats if I get any more.
My goat was raised from a kid on a bottle and thought he was a dog. He'd follow me on my horse and help round up cows.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2016 05:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I googled Boar goats. Didn't see why they are the greatest? But, alsoI saw some pet goats advertised for $700. That's about ten times more than I figured? They have some strange code words, withered and buck something? Buckaroo? I still thing a pigmy Nubian is just about the cutest thing on four legs. Beats potbellied pigs. Goats seem intelligent and I appreciate that they seem to treat humans as fellow travelers. I bet there is some rule I can't have one here? You want to see dumb? My tortoises have to have their faces pushed into food before they recognize it.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2016 06:59 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Boer goats have meat on them Leonard, other breeds are milk producing goats, meaning they have no meat on them. Picture a Holstein cow, standing next to an angus steer, and decide which one you want a streak from.
A well fed out Boer goat wether, looks just like a butcher lamb, well muscled up, round and fat...yum.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2016 09:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, the several sites I visited failed to point that out. I'd probably stick with the less exotic chicken.

You know, a few years ago, my old Army chum that lived out in the Antelope Valley where all the 4H folks live. At various times, he would get suckling pigs and bronze breast turkeys and a couple times, surplus dairy babies which were (I guess) Holsteins? The black and white ones?

Anyway, he always fed Purina chow and everything grew as expected and those guys have a network for plucking and dressing turkeys and slaughtering your critters for ya. We would
have the hogs cold smoked for a couple weeks and they were very different from commercial hams and pork, I guess because of no hormones? But, the Holsteins bulked up on this chow also and I thought the meat was pretty good?

We knew going in that it wasn't economy, hardly broke even versus what you could buy in the store, but that's not the whole story. The turkey was as good as I have ever tasted anywhere, and the hams were so fine grained and tender that you couldn't relate to the store bought stuff. As far as the beef, of course it's not "Prime" but compared to sirloin and things like chuck roast, it was pretty good eating. Even the loins were really not too shabby.

We could have smoked just the bacon, these were bacon pigs, about 22 pounds of bacon, and the hams could be either 2 or 3 per shank or whatever you call it? But, the cool thing was, the smokehouse guy didn't care how much you smoked and we did the front shoulders and the smoked pork chops were really different and really good.

So, except for the trouble, and for me, the only trouble was driving out there to pick up my stuff and tell the butcher how to wrap so many chops per package. Then there is the pork sausage, you get quite a lot of it, not links, but like hamburger for patties and he mixed in as much white pepper as we wanted.

Like I said, it wasn't cheap meat, but it was damned good meat, hard to put a price on something like that. Hated to see him move up to Washington! At least he's not on the coast, it's up by Spokane, which is just about the best part of that state, as far as I am concerned. Hate coastal Wash., you can have it! My brother is in Tumwater, by Olympia and they need sunshine therapy. It rains up there, you know? I wouldn't live there for all the tea in China. They drive to Portland to shop and save sales tax, and lucky to avoid speeding tickets unless there are enough Kalifornia tags to fill their quotas. The whole state is chickenshit as far as I'm concerned, so if anybody doesn't like it, go ahead and dump on my state.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2016 10:51 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting topic!

Whenever I finally GTF-outta LI and settle into the country somewhere, sure lookin' forward to having a couple goats (and chickens) around the place...

Good luck, Dave!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2016 02:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
And then, you will be screaming for your county animal control to thin out the coyotes that are killing your free roaming chickens!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2016 06:11 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Fred. I hope you can get outta Dodge soon. Town livin' sucks.

Here's the babies.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net /v/t34.0-12/13435884_10208735636779710_953778837_n.jpg?oh=72de429e20346f18f744159e7b50ad45&oe=5761A560

Sophie following me as I'm headed to turn on water.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net /v/t34.0-12/13457838_10208735637259722_254729904_n.jpg?oh=c27b97e12b887a7fa74e717e9a1414f9&oe=5761C1CE

Both the kids.
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.ne t/v/t34.0-12/13414486_10208735637459727_1367731998_n.jpg?oh=feaa87031cf8cc8cf1c1af3886acd497&oe=57619727

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t34.0-12/13434258_10208735637539729_1635638852_n.jpg?oh=aebb4dabd542245dc52460d4cd981016&oe=5761827D

[ June 13, 2016, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2016 06:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty cool! So, they are just naturally inclined to follow you around? What's with the rope?

So, they must be hand raised to be so tame, or are all goats that way? Both females, huh?

About how much for a baby goat in Ideehoo?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2016 06:47 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I put two blackbelly lambs in the freezer two months ago. They are hair sheep, versus wool sheep. Upon casual inspection, one would think they were goats, very short hair versus wooly look or feel. They come from wild stock, mouflon and Barbary sheep. I had a ram and a ewe, go them at 3 months age.
Wildest fucking sheep Ive ever raised, very much like deer in the pen when you'd go out to feed, water ect. As long as I was quiet and moved easy, no problem. Make fast movement and those things were all over the pen, bouncing and banging into the fence. Had them until they reached 9 months old and they never tamed down.
When it came time to visit the butcher shop, there was no way I could catch them to put in a trailer or cage on wheels, I had to ease into the pen and put a .22 bullet in each ones melon, slit their throats and haul ass to the butcher shop 20 minutes away.

[ June 14, 2016, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2016 07:08 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
They're bonding more with us by the day, last night was our 4th with them. Yes LB they were hand raised-bottle fed by the lady we bought 'em from.

Which cost more. I paid $100 each. The girl "Sophie" is the tan one, the boy "Sammy" is the black/white little guy.

I got a leash on 'em for now. Just in case, I need to grab 'em. Oh a few more days & I probably wont worry about it any more.

[ June 14, 2016, 07:09 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

JP
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2016 08:53 AM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/johnp18/Got%20Him%20a%20Goat_zps9g7cjqvx.jp g[/IMG]

How do you post a picture directly to the site?

[ June 14, 2016, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: JP ]

Posts: 150 | From: So AZ | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2016 09:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The first thing you have to do is upload your photo to a sharing site like photobucket. Then you will see a code that usually says: for message boards, or something similar. You just copy the code and then paste it here.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ June 14, 2016, 09:20 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JP
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2016 09:23 AM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Thanks Leonard. Our daughter raises goats and chickens. Had a big bowl of goat milk ice cream last night, just as good as store bought, she also makes her own cheese and yogurt. Her nanny goats are people friendly but the buck is pretty aggressive.

[ June 14, 2016, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: JP ]

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2016 09:26 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/johnp18/Got%20Him%20a%20Goat_zps9g7cjqvx.jp g[/IMG]

How do you post a picture directly to the site?

There's a space between the p and the g in the ".jpg" above:
 -

[ June 14, 2016, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
JP
Member # 4095

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2016 09:29 AM      Profile for JP           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Fred, think I got it now.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2016 09:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Those are some serious charges, jp. So, that's why our buddy Dave got a goat?

Seriously, I have heard a lot of stuff about animals, what's called Beastiality, although my spellchecker says that's not a word?

What is consistent, time after time is Arabs and goats. True or not it's frequently mentioned. Apparently, they have religious restrictions about what is acceptable sex with females, who are not a wife, although it's claimed that they can marry several females and even children. This is all hearsay, I know nothing as an absolute fact but who cares?

If it's true, the other weird stuff they say is easier to believe. The religion and culture is so backwards it's unbelievable. They are locked into Biblical robes and sandals, beards and thousand year old hatreds like it was yesterday.

Then, they use our technology (cellphones) to blow up people, vehicles and airplanes. I assume they would be happy with no modern conveniences and herding camels and keeping pet goats? It's just not reasonable and incompatible with modern civilization. I mean, just think about it: Convert or Die! It's crazy and they just don't see how crazy it is?

There is no solution. Either rope them off from sane people, or be forced to kill the son of a bitches. They cannot win. Without out technology, they will get nowhere. If reasonable people get serious towards this threat, they are in big trouble to alter their beliefs, or we kill them, bringing peace to the world.

Other than that, I have no solution.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2016 09:52 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to know how that space got there? If you copy, you copy the text. I'm confused?

Good old Fred, the tech expert to the rescue!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2016 10:42 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's some raghead doing a little night time shearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYUVCufE634

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters