The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » A hero I knew

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A hero I knew
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2016 07:17 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw this newspaper article yesterday in the small country newspaper we get at the bank branch I manage.

This guy lived on my dorm floor in college for 2 years. We drank many beers together, and he was one of the craziest SOB's I was ever around. He played football at Ft. Hays State, and was one of the most natural athletes I have ever seen. He was a buzzsaw at 5'10, 170#, and played fearlessly.

I lost track of him after we graduated, and then a mutual friend of ours kept me up to date with his military career.

He just died this past January from cancer, and they brought him to his hometown to be buried just last Saturday...I wish I would have known about it beforehand.

While being crazy, he was extremely humble. He joined the Army late in life, breezed through Ranger training, and then said the Rangers were too boring and applied and was accepted into Delta Force.

He was one half of the two man Delta team that infiltrated into Bagdad and laser guided the very first bomb that fell that was supposed to take out Saddam at the beginning of the Iraq war.

He was the Delta team leader that lead the 101st Airborne when they killed Saddam's sons.

He got 9 Bronze Stars which is amazing in and of itself...I was not familiar with the Legion of Merit Medal, but found out that it is just below the Silver Star which is just below the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I am proud to have called him a friend...RIP.

Hero returns home

By LINDA KENYON

Sergeant Major Shannon McKinney, retired U.S. Army, received a hero’s welcome to McCracken on Saturday, May 28, 2016. More than 50 people gathered to celebrate his life with a memorial service at the McCracken Cemetery. Although he had received many military honors and was injured multiple times in combat, cancer was the enemy that killed him.

His brother Shawn McKinney said serving in the military was something Shannon always wanted to do. Although Shannon never spoke about his military experiences, no one doubted his skill as a soldier. One person said that Shannon once visited McCracken with a bandage on his arm. He claimed it was hurt while working on a garage door, but they knew he wasn’t telling the truth.
Ted Westmoreland spoke at the memorial service, having served in the Army with McKinney. He said “Mac” was a Special Operations team leader who was not afraid to stand his ground to preserve freedom. But his connectedness to those around him “wove a tapestry of life and love greater than any accomplishments on the battlefield.”

Shannon Alan “Mac” McKinney died January 15, 2016, in Denmark, Kansas, at the age of 54. He was a retired sergeant major in the U.S. Army. He was born August 19, 1961, in Hays, the son of William and Barbara McKinney. He grew up in McCracken and was a 1979 graduate of McCracken High School. He earned a BS degree in Agriculture from Fort Hays State University in 1983.

He married Donna Bunn in 1991. She survives.
McKinney entered the Army in 1988 at the age of 26. During his time in the service he served in the 3/75th Ranger Regiment, the 2/11th Infantry Regiment, the 3/10th Special Forces Group and the Special Forces Operational Detachment – Delta Force. He had multiple combat tours, with four in Iraq. His other deployments included Panama, Bosnia and Afghanistan.

He received many awards, including the Legion of Merit, two Defense Meritorious Service Medals, nine Bronze Stars (two with V Device for valor) and three Purple Hearts. In addition, he received the Combat Infantryman Badge, Military Free Fall Jumpmaster and Free Fall Parachutist.

He was involved in the mission to take out the sons of Saddam Hussein, Uday and Qusay in Mosul, Iraq. Delta Force, with the help from 100 troops of the 101st Airborne, Apache helicopters and an A-10 gunship, had a three-hour firefight. This action took place in July 2003.

On his tombstone it reads, “Fate whispers to the warrior, ‘You cannot withstand the storm.’ And the warrior whispers back, ‘I am the storm’.’”

[ June 03, 2016, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2016 07:53 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I never know what to say when I see or hear things like this.
It sounds like he did a lot of living in the time that he did have.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2016 10:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know what to say. The guy was an awesome patriot and soldier.

You know, just happened to think of this; yesterday, my pool man stopped what he was doing and walked up to me, extended his hand and said, Thank you for your service! I don't get that very much, but it feels kinda good.

I say this while thinking about the reports of the Vets dying while waiting for a doctor appointment. Compare this with the excellent service that illegals and even legal immigrants receive.

Something's out of whack?

Thanks, Liberals! For fucking up this country.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2016 04:48 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope you're sitting down, Tim, 'cause I'm about to freak your shit out.

West of Abilene is a small town, Solomon. Referred to it in my tornado threat. That's where I was raised.

When I was maybe 7 or 8, Bill and Barbara McKinney and their kids lived in Solomon for a couple years, best I can recall. Bill and Barbara were good friends of my folks, and as was always the case in those days, we played with their kids - Shannon, Shawn and Kelly all the time. In fact, Barbara worked for my mom in her sewing shop as a seamstress for part of that time.

Just the other day, quite out of the blue, I recalled a Saturday afternoon when there was a knock at our front door. Only dad and I were at home. As clear as it was today, I recall sitting on the sofa and telling dad it was probably Barb looking for mom. They'd already moved to McCracken by then, but sure as hell, it was Barb at the front door.

The only time we went to McCracken was after Bill died. I've neither seen nor heard a word from or about them until just now reading your post. The hair on my neck is standing on end.

I remember Shannon as a tall kid with glasses and dark brown hair like his mom and dad. He was a year older than my brother so they pretty much picked on Shawn and me whenever we were all together. I distinctly remember that, despite that, I really looked up to the guy. I guess there was good reason, huh? He was a true hero.

Thinking about Barb the other day outta the blue. You making this post today. Do you believe in coincidences, or does shit happen for a reason?

[ June 05, 2016, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted June 05, 2016 06:23 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
RIP Warrior
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2016 04:46 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,
That, my friend, is pretty cool! I did not know they ever lived in Solomon!

It is funny how things like that work!

[ June 06, 2016, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 06, 2016 07:01 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Respect...
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters