The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » something else we have to learn to live with

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: something else we have to learn to live with
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted May 27, 2016 06:49 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
From time to time, I wonder why our public agencies don't do a damned thing with our tax dollars. On the subject of KILLER BEES, we must live with it because the government can't be bothered to protect us. read on~

Published May 27, 2016 Associated Press

MESA, Ariz – Authorities say a man visiting from Louisiana has died after being stung by bees more than 1,000 times while hiking in a Phoenix-area.

Maricopa County Sheriff's officials say a large swarm of bees attacked Alex Bestler and a female friend Thursday morning while they were on a trail in Usery Mountain Park in Mesa, a Phoenix suburb.

The woman was able to escape and ran for help.

Park employees say Bestler was lying on the ground covered by hundreds of bees.

Emergency crews arrived and were able to load Bestler onto a utility vehicle and remove him from the scene, still covered in bees and the swarm following them.

Bestler was taken to a hospital, where authorities say he later died.

Bestler's age and hometown weren't immediately available Thursday afternoon.

edit: BTW that park is right in the middle of town!

[ May 27, 2016, 06:50 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2016 06:19 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Poor guy, that's a hell of a way to go.

(edit) the city needs to go spray the bastards..

[ May 27, 2016, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 27, 2016 08:00 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had a couple of run-ins with Africanized Bees.
Evil creatures that will go far out of their way to be aggressive.
I guess that there's more coin in it for `scientists` to rename Global Warming to Climate Change than to actually DO something about bees that are an increasing problem.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2016 07:29 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's kinda my point. Rather than aggressively dealing with a potentially lethal threat, we are told to tolerate and learn to live with our ""natural" environment. That even includes bears in our swimming pools and lions stalking our children and pets. They used to kill them but all it takes is one bunny hugger and they instead relocate problem animals....and bees. In many ways, I don't think our public agencies serve the public, unless you happen to be in this country illegally. Then, they roll out the red carpet, set you up in your new donut shop business and free or subsidized housing. And, even if they are unaware of services, they will see to it that you get tax refunds and supplements, food stamps and every other opportunity available.

But, do they do a damned thing for seniors barely squeaking by on social security? I have been getting social security since my 62nd birthday and it seems to me that I received a bullshit cost of living increase (maybe) four times? Anyway they can avoid giving me a raise of a half a percent or something? Then, they say, well, gas is cheaper so no cost of living raise. Sure! Retired seniors are still commuting to work and benefiting from cheaper gasoline? Why not mention that the cost of caviar and escargot has gone down, we consume vast amounts of exotic food, you know? But, all this foreign aid to countries that hate us? That's why we can't provide for seniors and veterans.
End of rant. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2016 07:59 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had several swarm stop by the house. Killed two under the house while I was redoing the plumbing and another last year that decided to attach itself under the eve one evening. Two cans of wasp and bee killer at around midnight once it cools down and they are lethargic normally means the end of them. Been stung a few times during the removal but nothing too bad. Its not uncommon to hear a swarm a couple times a year fly over head. Its something that make a guy stand still.
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2016 08:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, true. But one thing that concerns me is that they claim a gunshot will set them off? I usually have a little nagging fear in the back of my mind when hunting in Arizona. What do you do, drop and roll or sprint for the truck?

Good hunting. Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2016 08:23 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
My shooting range, east of my place a couple miles, must be in a flight path of the damned things. Seems several times a year when Im doing load work up or just shooting, a huge swarm will pass over.
Usually about 40 ft long ten feet wide, and buzz by about 8-10 above the ground, I just duck and watch them pass by....never a problem?

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2016 09:04 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Tiger. So, why don't you just shoot into the swarm to make them go away? lol

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 28, 2016 09:11 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Lol

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2016 05:35 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Swarming bees do not attach because they are too busy looking for a new home. Killer bees attack anything that threatens the hive. Swarming bees don't have a hive to protect. I'm no expert but I do have a couple of friends that are bee keepers. The most important thing to do is to get as far away from the hive as quickly as possible and get into your truck, home or other shelter. Protect you face and eyes.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2016 06:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I seem to recall another dreaded invasion? Whatever happened to the fire ants advancing from South America? That was claimed to be an eminent disaster only a few years off, if we were lucky? I'm almost disappointed, I set out a picnic table just for the little critters, but no.

Do you ever get the feeling that the "news" business is all NATIONAL ENQUIRER quality? Some of the shit we are subjected to by the "Legit" media would make the National Enquirer blush.

I don't think I realized, even a few years ago just how much our "NEWS" sources were slanted, especially by censorship and omission. They say it's been over 700 days since NBC or ABC has uttered the word, BENGHAZI.

That's the thing about The Media/Democrats, if it happened to Hillary or Obama or (you name it) branch of the Federal Government, you won't learn about it on the evening news. They can't keep us informed about what DICKWEED is doing when we need to be told all about that damned gorilla! That's it, I just thought of why I haven't watched an evening news broadcast by any network in several years. It's all trivia! Unless Trump says something RACIST! Then, it's wall to wall, 24/7.

There's no hope. We have 10% of the population consisting of Liberals and EcoBlabber telling us what's important, and we put up with it, since BLACK LIVES MATTER, except in Chicago.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ June 08, 2016, 06:28 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2016 03:49 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
a little late, but supports something I wrote above about ignoring Vets and seniors while lavisging big dollars on resettled terrorists, read on~

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/feds-spend-nearly-20000-to-settle-every-refugee/article/2593331

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2016 07:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and this little gem. Now, whoever would think these low income folks would lie?

News Item:

The federal subsidy known as the "Obamaphone" or "Obamanet" program could be losing nearly $500 million to fraud annually, according to a top Republican on the Federal Communications Commission.

Meanwhile, Seniors and Vets have to pay for a phone.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2016 03:28 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sad state of affairs...

Just watched a show on giant Asian hornets. Those fuckers are nasty!!!
One segment showed them literally annihilating a colony of honey bees, it was a slaughter...

-

Best part is, when you get stung by an Asian hornet, the venom can actually 'melt' skin away, leaving nasty holes in flesh. And they can sting like 40x per minute...

Nasty!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2016 06:34 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Reminds me of something similar?

I spent two years in Germany, more or less, military situation. Much of it in the field. But, my grandson, Aaron was over there a couple years ago and while walking in the woods, had some kind of European Wasp crawl up his pant leg and sting the hell out of him.

They are big, too! Maybe not the size of a hummingbird, but way bigger than a bumblebee. Anyway, he was hospitalized for several days because of the sting. And, it wasn't because he is sensitive to beestings or anything like that. It was because these insects are bad asses and best to steer very clear of them.

And, like I said, I never knew they existed? I can't recall any interaction with insects in the various times I have been in Germany, can't even recall a mosquito bite?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: got me? was it a wasp or a hornet that stung Aaron?

[ June 09, 2016, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2016 02:36 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
"The federal subsidy known as the "Obamaphone" or "Obamanet" program could be losing nearly $500 million to fraud annually, according to a top Republican on the Federal Communications Commission."

Sadly, I must admit that I just sent off an application for my daughter to get one of these phones. It'll be a simple flip phone, no whistles/ bells/ wifi. She'll be able to make calls and send text messages. That's it. She's homebound with a medical condition that severely limits her ability to participate in conventional society and, at the suggestion of her caregivers - she currently has five different people that provide direct care to her almost weekly - we applied for and have been given a medical card that covers the cost of anything above and beyond what my employer provided insurance doesn't cover. In the end, her care is paid for in full either by BC/BS or the state administering federal monies. The reason I did this was simple. Accessing this program made available for her six different additional care programs that are not available through typical health insurance. Those have been very good for her. But, most importantly, I spent over $22,000 out of pocket to cover her care and counseling over the past three years, through co-pays, prescriptions, and the like. At one point, they wanted to hospitalize her and we had to refuse since it would have cost nearly $85,000 and my insurance offered no benefits for that, or a drug they thought might help that would have cost me ~$500 a month and maybe work for her. I ended up flushing out a retirement account to cover these bills and paid a healthy penalty in taxes for doing so. I learned through this experience that not every Obamaphone was received without the recipient paying a healthy price beforehand.

After trimming and paring down our family household budget, including eliminating our daughter's cell phone from our plan, I personally think I've earned the right to exploit the opportunity to get a "free" phone, since it was ObamaCare that forced my insurer to abandon these programs in order to cover the cost of other programs they created, like boner pills for old guys and gender reassignment surgeries and shit.

There are certainly those who abuse the system. I have a woman on my route that has been essentially homeless for a year. She applied for and got state benefits. Medical card. Etc.. She lives in an apartment and every day I deliver anywhere from 1-6 Amazon packages to her that she pays for with our tax dollars. I watch people buying lobster and KC strips using their EBT card while I'm buying pork loin roasts at 8 pounds for $6.99 and eating out of the garden because it's free.

There are those who abuse the system - yes - but not everyone.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2016 06:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I didn't have you in mind, Lance. You know who?

Damn, sorry to hear about your daughter's condition! You certainly have enough on your plate without that.

Hope things get better for ya! Keep your powder dry.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2016 03:12 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, that same show documented that Asian hornets had begun to establish colonies somewhere in France. Theory is that a laden queen hornet stowed away on a cargo container & made the trip by boat...

Can't say if or how that ties into your GRANDson's incident, but those nasty hornets have made landfall in Europe!

[ June 10, 2016, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2016 05:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
A few of the guys have met my GRANDSON, Aaron at the last campout. He was discharged with a lung condition caused by Iraqi desert dust, something I had heard about, several years ago. It prevented him from qualifying the annual PT test. He suddenly couldn't finish within times established on the mile run or the alternate swim, (don't remember the distance?) So, an honorable separation from the Army. Tell the truth, I don't perceive any physical handicap, but he does get a disability pension. I think there is no cure, but maybe eventually?

I might have the facts jumbled; could have been an Asian hornet, all I know is it stung him repeatedly and it's the biggest damned "bee" type critter you ever saw! I guess we are lucky that our regular Italian honeybees are docile and usually can only sting you once because the stinger is ripped out of the abdomen.

If big hearted Vic can keep up with the baloney sandwiches, those killer bees will have no reason to migrate any further west? I'm already grateful.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters