The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Are your kids into it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are your kids into it?
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 02:48 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Are your kids into hunting, shooting, the outdoors in general as much as you are?

Just curious.

Thanks

[ May 23, 2016, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 03:08 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
My son likes to shoot, but he's never been into killing anything. Maybe a squirrel here and there but thats it. He's to soft hearted he says, but thats ok : )
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 04:57 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
My oldest is the same way. He has killed a few deer and coyote, but I could tell early on, he just wasn't into the killing part. Even as a little kid, after shooting a couple ground squirrels, he would be done.

He does love to be outdoors riding his dirt bike, camping, helping me fix fence or cut wood. A "dyed in the wool" hunter he isn't though and I've never pushed it on him. You could tell it just wasn't his thing.

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 06:30 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Same with my son, he has killed a couple deer, truck loads of rabbits with his .22 as a kid, but as an adult, hunting is not his thing. Last time I took him coyote calling, maybe five years ago, it was about 12 degrees out that morning, three dry stands, and when I pulled the plug on last stand, he proclaimed "my fun meter is pegged old man, lets get back to the house, fuck this shit", obviously his last coyote hunt with me. I will say, once a year, I get him out here for a week of dove shooting and he always says how much he loves a good dove shoot. We both love eating dove, so he gets to take back a bunch, and I get my share for the freezer.
He lives on the gulf coast, and has a very nice 21 foot boat, so fishing is his bag, and he chases it with a passion, like I do my coyote hunting. Never made any of my kids go with me if they didn't want to. Both my son and daughter shoot an have firearms, and are very proficient with them, good enough for me.

[ May 23, 2016, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1630 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 23, 2016 11:13 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah that's how it is with my sons too. They enjoy shooting some of my guns but definitely don't have the hunting drive i had when I was young. I think its just the whole immediate gratification thing going on today," if I don't get something out of it right now". they get bored. Hell I lived for hunting at there age couldn't get enough of it. Most everything revolved around hunting in some way or another. Today with kids not so much, I mean there are the exceptions but definitely not the rule. But that's ok life is still great with them and we always enjoy doing things together. It has gotten less frequent as they get older (one is 24 the other 17 ). They get busy with life I guess.

[ May 24, 2016, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1620 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 03:10 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Both of mine like the outdoors in general a lot. Camping, backpacking, Jeeping. And they both like to shoot a lot.

But neither one is too much into hunting. They both like to pop a few rabbits once in awhile, but have no real driving interest. Sitting still on a coyote stand doesn't appeal to them.

Son is 21, daughter will be 14 in a couple of weeks. I know that between the ages of 15 and 21 all I cared about was getting laid. Did squeak in a fair amount of hunting, but I skipped hunting more than once for a nice piece of ass.

- DAA

[ May 24, 2016, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: DAA ]

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NVWalt
Does not claim to be overly bright!
Member # 375

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 03:58 AM      Profile for NVWalt           Edit/Delete Post 
My two daughters were into hunting and the shooting sports when they were young. Lettered in high school on the rifle team and shot many years of sillywet competition also. The youngest daughter doesn't get involved anymore but the oldest daughter still goes hunting for big game and drags me along to her yearly Wyoming hunts. They still have fond memories of the years we ran hounds after black bears and cats, They had their own dogs also. Turned out to be good kids.

--------------------
Support Communism and help destroy the United States of America ! VOTE DEMOCRAT. "In the end, they aren't coming after me. They are coming after you!" D.Trump

Posts: 638 | From: Tellico Plains, TN | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 04:29 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Mine can't get enough hunting.
He doesn't shoot though.
But he can run down squirrels and kill them in one bit. lol
No kids just one dog that thinks he's a kid and understands everything and talks back like one. [Big Grin]

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Brent Parker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4354

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 05:53 AM      Profile for Brent Parker   Email Brent Parker         Edit/Delete Post 
Mine were when they were younger. Daughter used to love to go coon hunting with me at night and listen to the dogs. Was with her when she shot her first squirrel. She didn't like deer hunting. Too cold and had to sit too still for her likening. She wasn't into predator hunting. My son did a little and enjoyed shooting and did some trapping with me but feel he went more for me than desire to go. So I let him decide. Vic and I had a good morning once calling with him. Never shot a single animal, but called a few pretty dam close and enjoyed watching them come in. Now he's into his ROTC rifle shooting comps. He plans to go into the military after high school. I can live with that.
Posts: 172 | From: 2 miles east of Vic | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 09:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I started predator hunting about 1965, so I was 23, a rather late start, but on the other hand, it was under the radar. Didn't matter to me, I knew with absolute certainty that that was where my interest was. Took me three long years before I figured out how to actually kill a coyote, but that totally sealed the deal.

Before that the usual mix of small game, big game and birds. I was very keen on quail, which out here without dogs, can be difficult unless you know a few techniques.

But, when I first became aware of predator hunting, that became my first priority, You know, nowadays, I believe the reason for the popularity of coyote hunting has to do with the frustrations involved in drawing a damned tag for everything! At least you can get out and kill something!

My son like the easy road, as far as hard hunting predators. A little hard to explain, but he wants action and there are only a few places where he can get it. Otherwise, I can relate to what Vic wrote, he can be indifferent sometimes, but dependable. If there is anything I can't stand in a partner is dependability, or the lack of. When we have something planned, I don't want to hear about the sister in law's birthday party or any other lame excuse. Be ready to go when we agreed, or you will be on my shit list.

Both my grandsons have the hunting gene. My daughter can't even kill the spider with a web up in the corner. But, I subscribe to that theory that when they get hungry enough, they will wring a chicken's neck without mercy. I'm still waiting.

Let's face it, the Game and Fish Departments do nothing to enhance and promote hunting. Many people can't put in for hunts in January when they have a seniority system for vacations and must wait in turn and take the dates that are left. I think all their "harvest" data is slanted. As a for instance, in CA, they could accommodate the meat hunters and allow a doe harvest, since we have about 95% does, but no.

And, this fake concern about lead bullets. Why do intelligent people in charge put up with those people with an agenda? They don't care about poison bullets, it is a way to harass hunters and it's working. Hunting probably does not have a future in America? Depressing, huh?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31472 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 12:15 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich people will always hunt in America. They'll always have guns, too.

The day isn't that far off that it will be unrealistic for poor people to hunt though. Neither is the day that there are rich and poor and nobody in the middle.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2016 01:16 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
But El Bee...........
If Calif. allowed the harvest of does, what would all of the spike bucks breed ?????

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2016 12:45 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Although its not the reason I started predator calling. It was a big reason I stopped hunting big game. When I was younger you went to the local sporting goods store bought your Deer or Elk tag over the counter for pretty cheap and then hunted anywhere you wanted in the State. And you always had a good chance at a big buck. Now its a joke. I definitely don't miss it. Hunting Coyotes has always been number one passion for me. Now its some fishing, a few upland birds, and alittle bit of Waterfowling. But mostly Coyotes. Seems to keep me out of trouble.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1620 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2016 08:45 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
What is somewhat surprising to me is the shrinking number of kids that do seriously hunt today.

I know most of my kids friends pretty well, and very few hunt more than just a day here or there and don't seem to concerned if they "score" or not.

None of them go on week-long elk hunts with their dad, brothers, friends, something many did when I was growing up. Hell, when I was growing up, part of becoming a man in this area was getting an elk.

These are outdoorsy type kids too. They ride motorcycles, horses, camp, hike, target shoot some, etc.. But none of them really get after it, like it seemed virtually every male did when I was their age.

I also work with about a 15 or so younger guys and I'd guess maybe 10% buy a tag of some sort and even less spend any time actually hunting something. And these are your typical blue-collar type guys who are more prone to be into outdoorsy stuff. They are way more into tricking out their diesel pickups than hiking around the hills.

My guess is lack of interest is gonna take hunting out quicker than anything, but some of that is directly related to no place to go or not having the time to do it.

[ May 25, 2016, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2016 11:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that is of concern, for sure.

The thing that I view as inescapable is that, in spite of all the stamping out of the "hunting gene" it will always survive.

I probably have this wrong, but I THINK the quote was attributed to Chief Joseph of the Nez Pierce? He said, (and I have to paraphrase) that "when all the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice because we are hunters."

All the cosmopolitan Liberal elite fret over the blood sports but I suspect there will always be hunters, no matter how society advances in the
"Brave New (digital) World".

Evolution, if there is such a thing won't allow humans to become egg headed limp dicked geeks.

Good hunting. El Bee

PS but if it does, I'm glad I won't be around to see it!

edit: you know, I might have a 2% favorable opinion of Obama if I ever heard that he got his ass kicked by some other student at that trendy Puna whatever, fancy prep school he attended! Or bloodied some other kids nose. BUT, THAT NEVER HAPPENED, DID IT? And, therein lies the problem.

[ May 25, 2016, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2016 05:03 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I don't have children, so my only gauge on young people and hunting are the hunter education classes I have taught over 25+ years.

When I started teaching in 1990, most of the classes were 12 and 13 year old boys with very few, if any, girls of the same age.

Today, our classes are about 50% female, and the average age of the students I see is around 23. Been keeping those stats for about 10 years, and it has been consistent.

Here in Kansas, you can't hunt or buy any kind of license unless you have gone through hunter ed. You have to buy a general hunting license at 16. Your hunter ed card acts as your license until that age.

I am seeing more and more 30 something guys in class...first time hunters. 40 years ago that would have been odd, but I guess not today.

With all of the activities there are for kids...sports 12 months a year, dance, etc., the outdoor activities must take a backseat.

I can't understand that, as I was plumb ate up with hunting, fishing and outdoor stuff by the time I was 7 or 8.

Guess the times they are a changing...

[ May 26, 2016, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2016 06:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good deal. But, I just happened to remember, there is a big difference in attitude, in Fly Over Country.

I have said before, nothing to back me up, but I think there aren't any other hunters in this little six block square development? I will have to ask the mailman if mine is the only American Hunter or Rifleman that he delivers around here?

I do know that I am known to some as the guy with the Army truck in my side driveway; meaning my 74 Dodge.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2016 06:18 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Lonny touched on it, but the reason for less kids - and adults - hunting in my part of the world is simple lack of access.

When I was a kid, even living in Salt Lake, the most densely populated part of the state, it was easy to go hunting.

Now, the population of the state has tripled since I was a kid and it's not easy to go hunting. Not like it was.

Big game, especially, just way less opportunity for everyone. Can't even buy a tag over the counter anymore. And as Leonard mentioned, the way the fucking idiots run the draw system, guys that have to put in for vacation way in advance, are fucked. And, the way the state is broke into small units now, and you have to draw for them, if your old stomping grounds turn to shit - like my old archery mule deer spot in the La Sals, it's a major commitment of resources to try and find a new area and draw a tag for it etc.

As teenagers and into our 30's, every single guy I knew hunted deer, at least. Very few of those same guys still do. Almost none. Hell, I don't even hunt deer anymore, except for rare, special circumstances - like winning the lottery and drawing a tag. It's just gotten too difficult and the quality of the hunting has gotten too poor to make it worth the effort.

It's no wonder their kids don't hunt, when the Dad's have given up on it.

And even varmint hunting, which was HUGE when I was a kid - EVERYONE was into bunny blasting. Even if they didn't hunt big game, they were into Sat. morning jackrabbit shooting. Used to be, even for us living in Salt Lake, our Dad's only had to drive us about half an hour away to get in all the bunny blasting our hearts desired.

Hell, it wasn't real good hunting, but me and my friends used to ride our bikes to go shoot rabbits, usually with our bows.

Not anymore... All those fields and sage brush flats are covered up in houses and churches and Walmarts now. I actually have people ask me fairly often, where they can go to shoot some bunnies. Mind boggling, if you think about it - people don't even know where to go get in some simple bunny blasting around here anymore.

And the trend is accelerating. Getting worse and worse. Faster and faster.

Really, just no hope. In my view. Too many people already and more moving in every day. Rapidly shrinking resource. Soon enough, nothing left but the pay to play and the price of that is already completely out of reach for most.

Game over.

Can always hope for a really devastating plague or something to come along and depopulate the earth by 75% or so. That would solve pretty much every problem there is. A man can dream, anyway...

- DAA

--------------------

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2016 06:27 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way... I knew it never had any legs to begin with, just a Fox news bullshit creation, but man, that whole ebola thing sure was a disappointment...

- DAA

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2016 06:37 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,
You hit the nail on the head...ACCESS! I sit on the Hunter Ed Advisory Board for the State of Kansas. Right now, there is a big push for recruitment of new hunters.

It is a double edged sword for states...they see the license revenue declines, so they want more hunters to see more revenue.

With that said, where are we going to put new hunters? Here in Kansas, most of the private land where I live has been leased up. 40 years ago, we were in the glory days here. Lots of land to hunt and little pressure.

We have a Walk In Hunting Access program that helps guys like me that don't have much access to private land hunting.

I don't know what I would do if the WIHA program went away.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2016 07:31 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave/all...
I read a fiction piece a while back where the plot was that a supposed uber-rich madman was seeking to un-leash a 'plague' that would de-populate the Earth.

In the end, the madman succeeded, but...

the 'plague' turned out to be a non-lethal sterilizing agent. Nobody died, the plague simply knocked an entire generation of humans from being born.

Despite it being fiction, the population data was accurate enough to stir some sobering thought on the topic. Very un-settling shit...

Lacking any reproductive self-control or realization of the effects of exponential human population growth, humans are basically nothing more than a virus upon the Earth.

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 26, 2016 10:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I guess so, but certain segments need to start pulling their weight, since they say that this GLOBAL WARMING shit is actually beneficial for crops and growing food and no need for fires and petroleum products; they won't even need a coat because there won't be winter. So, thank God for GLOBAL WARMING!

I read very recently that China might revoke the "one child" limit on couples? Might be too late because they also said that right now, one child will be forced to support four grandparents in their much longer living senior years. Hell, Europe isn't far behind....Oh, I forgot about the Muslim segment, because they are allowed four wives and average ten children. White European females can't be bothered with child bearing.

The more I think about it, I'm glad I won't be around to see what the world will be like, 100 years from now. It won't be better, but the new iPhone 46 will even have an app for wiping your ass; worth every 30,000,000 Euros, and the ten year wait. By then, you might also have your own apartment, and in another ten, your own bike. By then, Americans will be enslaved by all the Islamists that started arriving under that Obama program back in the 2016's.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters