The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » pit bull type behavior (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: pit bull type behavior
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2016 06:29 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a little sumpin-sumpin I recently had sent to me by a friend who runs an insurance agency locally. The numbers even shocked me. Now, I did poll three different local insurers and all three said that, in the event of a dog bite, their companies will immediately suspend the dog owner's homeowner's policy and will leave it as such until they receive written documentation that the dog has either been euthanized or removed from their property.

The questions is, "Just how much is your dog worth to you?" And remember, this is just the insurance claim. There may be further civil penalties as well.

"Max, Bella and their canine comrades cause more than one-third of all home insurance claims, adding $530 million a year to insurance costs.

And while the number of claims is down, the cost of the average claim from dog bites and other injuries is on the rise, according to the Insurance Information Institute (I.I.I.) and State Farm, the nation’ largest writer of homeowners insurance.

I.I.I.’s analysis of homeowners insurance data found that the number of dog bite claims nationwide decreased 4.7 percent in 2014. However, the average cost per dog bite claim was up 15 percent to $32,072 in 2014, compared with $27,862 in 2013.

The average cost per claim nationally has risen more than 67 percent from 2003 to 2014, due to increased medical costs as well as the size of settlements, judgments and jury awards given to plaintiffs, which are still on the upswing, according to Loretta Worters, vice president with the I.I.I.

California continues to have the largest number of claims in the United States at 1,867. Ohio had the second highest number of claims at 1,009. While New York had only the third highest number of claims at 910, it registered the highest average cost per claim in the country: a whopping $56,628.

The trend in higher costs per claim is attributable not simply to dog bites but also to dogs knocking down children, cyclists and senior citizens — all of which I.I.I. says can result in fractures and other injuries that increase the severity of the losses.

Experts say that even normally docile dogs may bite when they are frightened or when defending their puppies, owners or food. The most dangerous dogs are those that suffer from poor training, irresponsible owners and breeding practices that foster viciousness.

“All dogs have the potential to bite, but for most, biting is a last resort,” said Victoria Stilwell, star of Animal Planet’s TV series, It’s Me or the Dog. “If time is taken to raise, teach and socialize a dog correctly, the likelihood of a bite incident occurring is extremely low. Confident dogs have less need to use aggressive behavior.”

Victims and homeowners insurers are not the only ones paying for dog bites. Workers’ compensation for the United States Postal Service (USPS) costs about $3.7 billion a year. Dog bites are the most common cause of injury for walking postal workers."

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2016 07:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Any figures on parrot bites? My Moluccan could bite your finger clear to the bone, if he wanted. I don't even understand how it is possible, they don't look it but these birds are incredibly strong. I have read reports of people having a bird on their shoulder that bites a lip or an ear. Serious disfigurement! Bad idea to allow any bird of this type near your face. "Gee, he never did that before?" My bird is tame, hand raised, but I don't let him on my shoulder. I'd have to kill the little bastard, he's basically very similar to the Sulphur Crested Cockatoo, the Beretta bird on TV many years ago. Pinky's actual name is: Salmon Crested Cockatoo, and if you look closely, he's a very pale pink rather than white. These are smart birds, not considered "true parrot", for some obscure taxonomic reason? Cockatoos are a separate branch but obviously closely related. Don't ever try to capture with your hands, he can bite through welding gloves. Ask me how I know.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2016 08:03 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....sounds like he needs to be put down. Do you have a smoker or barbecue?
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2016 08:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
When he's demanding attention, I tell hm he's just a stupid chicken. But, of course, he's extremely vain and knows better.

Did I mention, fearless? Loves some people, not so crazy about others. Does not like my son, has chased him all over the house. Loves all women, I don't understand how they can tell the difference? Dunno, maybe he's a boob man?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: ?
quote:
put down. Do you have a smoker or barbecue?
That would be a hell of an expensive BBQ!

[ May 02, 2016, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 02, 2016 06:29 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an older couple on my route with two African grey parrots. One of them is very, very vocal. They keep them in an aviary on the front porch. That bastard gets me a couple times week by doing a perfect cellphone ringtone right as I turn away to leave their mailbox.

The funniest thing he does is to pick on the little black Chihuahua they own. The poor bastard's name is Hogie. Out of the blue, that bird will yell out, "Hogie wanna go potty?". Of course, the dog runs to the door, and the parrot responds by saying "Stupid fucking dog". Then he emits this loud abrasive cackling laughter. Damnest thing you ever saw. Joe says he can teach that bird a new phrase in a single day. He recently had a full knee replacement and was stuck at home alone. After three days of being in the same room with Joe, every time Joe stands up, the parrots goes, "Ooooohhh, shit, that hurts".

I've never seen one this vocal before.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 03, 2016 06:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
African Grays are one of two parrots that are world champion talkers. The other being a yellow nape Amazon; (I think that's what it's called?)

Pinky will ring the phone endlessly, if I follow by saying, "hello". He has an imitation of a human laugh that is a total crack up. Every time I walk away, he says Bye Bye. That makes him sound like he has a talent, (for talking) but actually, (aside from his mumbles) he really can't be bothered, he has about 6-7 phrases and that's it. His favorite is "Hi, Bubba". An African Gray would talk circles around him.

Just something to keep me occupied, you know?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: oh, just happened to think,considering the above post. When you get a pair of birds, they seldom talk, vastly prefer bird talk to each other than repeating human sounds. So, the above example is unusual.

[ May 03, 2016, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters