The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » pit bull type behavior (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: pit bull type behavior
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted April 28, 2016 08:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know there are those among us that are extremely protective of all dogs. Recently, there was a news item of many people joining forces to defend a dog that had been eating it's master's corpse.

In this case, I suppose any dog could have reacted, based on jealousy issues, and the parents showed extremely poor judgement.

However, these type of dogs are so dangerous I just have to question why we need them? I have heard that seven out of eight dogs in shelters are some type of pit bull mix. This demonstrates one thing for sure; the damned animals are not nearly neutered enough in many many cases! That would be a good start, as far as a requirement for a license on specific breeds and (in my opinion) this is a dog we don't need and it's difficult to justify keeping them in most urban environments.

Look at this news item and explain why we should tolerate dangerous animals as family pets. How can we defend the breed? Admittedly, the parents should be flogged, just for stupidity.

Read on~

http://www.nbcwashington .com/news/national-international/Parents-of-Baby-Killed-by-Dog-Tried-to-Call-911-Twice--376867331.html?_osource=taboola-recirc

[ April 28, 2016, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 09:48 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
"The dog made contact with the baby leading to traumatic injuries," Sgt. Tuu Nguyen, of the Child Abuse Unit San Diego Police Department, said.

WTF is THAT supposed to mean?

For all we know, the dog coulda got spooked from mom "coughing" and accidentally trampled the infant.

Anyhoo, an inforgivingly S T U P I D move to have newborn & canine on a bed, together.

Instead of passing the buck onto 9-11 operators, how 'bout someone steps up & files child endangerment & manslaughter charges against the idiot parents???

P.S. just got back from midday stroll with my dog. Out of nowhere, a ginormous husky/malmute/wolfy lookin' dog came blasting into my dog, who was on lead. Thankfully, Pokey saw it coming & went into full chainsaw mode upon contact, causing a surprising retreat.

Dang husky/malmute/wolf type dogs, they need to be banned!!!

But, on a serious note, friggin' people need to keep dogs restrained properly.
THAT is the crux of the problem that needs addressing. And make owners 100% liable for any/all damage their canine(s) cause. Even if its to their own children.

PERIOD, end of story.

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 10:16 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/crime/article70345717.html

This just happened the other day ^^^^

I dont know what to think about the whole pit bull thing really. My wife got cornered a few years ago, in our yard, by a young 20 something neighbors award winning show dogs, 2 BIG pits, and if I didnt happen to drive up at the exact right time, I dont know what would have happened.

This is one of those times that I just about came unhinged. Had words with the guy, he apoligized, but after my threat to kill his dogs his only answer was "Are you kidding? These are 5000 dollar show dogs your talking about!"
My answer was that he would have 5 grand lumps of flesh sitting on his front step if it happens again...ever. And I fucking meant it, and he knew it. Pits seem to get crazy when they are packed/paired up sometimes.

Having said that, Fred is right too, I have been attacked by dobermans, twice in my life, once badly. German shepards as well...along with those damned chi-wawas...God I hate chi-wawas! I have grown to hate any dog that rolls up on me and tries to fuck with me, Im not afraid of a single, I will fight it to the death if I have to. I saw a guy pick up a big ass shepard one time that attacked him and choke it to death. Not that hard to do.(if your able enough)

Im not for banning any dog, just like guns (which is becoming the go to comparison when this subject comes up) but yeah, putting a pit bull in bed with your baby is like putting a loaded pistol in the bed with your baby with safety off....not super smart?

Bottom line for me and dogs...they are mans best friend and all, but I never trust em 100%.
Mark

[ April 28, 2016, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 12:04 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
FWIW;
It's been my experience that a dog is a reflection of it's owner and it's surroundings.
Ergo ................. If the owner is a dip stick, the dog is very likely to be a problem.
I'm sure that there are exceptions but as a general rule it holds to be pretty true.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7583 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 12:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know any dog can be a problem. But the preponderance of the reports involving an infant mauling seems to point to pit bulls.

Look, I'm not in compassionate, but neutering pit bulls would at least control the indiscriminate backyard breeding. Doesn't hurt anybody's pet but eventually, the breed comes to a dead end and as far as I am concerned, they will not be missed. I admit it, I have extreme prejudgeous (sp) concerning that breed. I fail to see any redeeming qualities?

As far as the campaign to save the dog that ate and possibly killed it's owner, that effort is obscene, in my opinion. Kill the fucking dog!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: by the way, koko. I have heard that reasoning before and while there might be some basis, I can tell you for a fact that I have had a litter and while most of the pups reflected my sterling personality, I have seen a couple times where there was a pup that deserved to be culled.

[ April 28, 2016, 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 06:58 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had some personal experience with pit bulls. A guy I knew lived in a trailer park in Victorville when he got a pit bull. Right off the bat the dog got loose and killed another dog. This happened at least once more and the cops were called in. He had to get rid of the dog.

I had another friend who lived on a ranch in Helendale. A guy down the road owned 7 German shepherds. Those shepherds would go onto my friend's property and mess with his thoroughbreds. One day they came up and killed my friend's pet dog which broke his kids' hearts. So he asked the other guy to bring the pit bull out to his place.

He'd warned the owner of the shepherds but the guy refused to lock up his dogs. One day Willie came home and found 3 or 4 dead German shepherds in his yards with blood trails leading to the shepherd owner's property. The guy came up to Willie's place and began making threats. Willie called the sheriff and that was that.

Out in Barstow my former wife was attacked by a couple of pit bulls on the street as she was walking to the corner to catch a ride to work. I came out to stop them and when they saw me they retreated home.

A friend of mine owned a pit bull when we lived in Whittier. One day his dog got out and went down the street and badly mauled a 4 year old kid almost killing him. The cops showed up and confiscated his dog and put it down. Don was sued and lost. Fortunate for him his home owner's insurance picked up the tab.

And finally, we used to take our lab to the marina when we slept on the boat and then the dog went out fishing with us. We were walking up to let the dog do her business and then we were going out to eat. There were a few people sitting on the dock partying and one of them had a pit bull. When the dog saw my dog she attacked. I'll never forget seeing the pit with it's mouth totally over and around my lab's spine. One good shake and my dog was going to be crippled for life or dead. I don't know why but my lab stood stock still and the pit let go. I started chewing out the owner for bringing that dog down on the dock. The people that had invited her ran her and her dog off.

I keep hearing people say "It's not the dog, it's the owner." Maybe on some circumstances that's correct but pit bulls were bred for the ring and killing other dogs is part of that. They also maim and kill kids. This is well documented.

I do not understand people who go out of their way to own dangerous dogs.

Anyone is welcome to flame me but you will never change my mind about this.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 28, 2016 07:22 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I once took a picture of you, Leonard, hugging a 47 pound pitbull with a big smile on both of your faces. I did it for a reason, (think of those evil black gun pics). I could find and post it, but don't think it's necessary. There's good dogs, there's bad dogs. Bad dogs with power exemplify the problem. Kinda like people's kids these days. Don't make me sic Bella on ya.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 04:25 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
I have owned pits off and on my whole life, I use them to hunt with and will for as long as I can, they have a place same as the curs. I have seen good ones and bad, same as anything else. if you come in my kennels it has 1 pit and 5 cross bred mutts, only one dog is going to bother you and anyone that has been here will tell you it aint the pit, and as soon as the little black cur gets to know you hes alright too.

neutering every pit is like saying we need to neuter every black man, white man, coyote hunter, lawyer or whatever. yep I know bad ones in every set that I named but I also know some really good ones out of every set I named. I just think its narrow minded to blanket a whole breed or race because of some bad ones.

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 05:01 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
My opinion is this, if they are a working dog I'm sure they have a place. Hunting hogs or whatever. Most guys that use them keep them kenneled and they are not loose in public. As a pet, they don't generally have a use or a place. Town people with pits for pets is usually a bad combo. Tons of them around here. The meth heads love them. To me personally, I don't care what breed it is, but a mean dog should never be out in public. If you have high fences and are"guarding" something, I guess what you do on your private property is up to you. There is actually a breed I like far less than pits, and that is blue heelers. I hate the dirty little bastards. I have never seen one worth the bullet it takes to kill them. And I don't know how many kids I've seen packing scars from one. Including my wife. I've been bit by several of them myself, and will gladly kill one in an instant.

[ April 29, 2016, 05:02 AM: Message edited by: 3 Toes ]

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 06:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Jimbo, you have a strong point. But, (there is always a "but") you appear to me to be a responsible owner and as koko said (perhaps) some of that/those remarkable qualities rubbed off on Bella? As I remember, Paul's dog was a lot more of a pest on that occasion, and Bella withstood it until she'd had enough.

I knew I would get some strong emotions when I posted this article, but, (there's always a "but") I also have an opinion and as the HMFIC, I tend to share it, occasionally.

What we are talking about is stupid owners and dangerous dogs. There are always exceptions, and Bella is a shining example. I don't get it, really? There are certain dogs that are dangerous. My grandson was transferred to Alaska, from Germany. He had a Rottweiler. You know, the military is pretty accommodating about moving all manor of crap, vehicles, everything....but no Rottweilers. Or, pits, some others, as well. They don't listen to any BS about how it's the owner; they have a flat, blanket policy.

Love your Lab, they deserve it!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 08:26 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you cal, most blue heelers are mean, sneaky little dogs. I hate having to go talk to a rancher and have to watch his dog all the time, I wish guys would make their dogs mind when you are talking with them, mostly cause I hate to kick somebodies dog while they are standing there but I will if it tries to bite me, they all say the same thing "he's just bluffin, he wont bite you" yea I bet

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 09:37 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with that ^ The thing is, don't really turn your back on that type of dog, AND yes, kick him in the teeth when he goes for it. I'd sooner respect an aggressive dog that let's you know where you stand than one of those sneaky bastards.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: But, (there is always a "but") Forgot what I was going to say? Oh yeah; It's the asshole owner that needs his ass kicked! They know what their dog is doing and secretly get off on it. In their own way: sick bastards.

[ April 29, 2016, 09:40 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 10:05 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I was a rural telephone man for over 30 years, servicing customers all over rural Cochise county, little towns and ranches.
Hands down, the worst two breeds of dogs that I encountered that were prone to bite, were Boston terriers and blue heelers. If I was working in town, it was little old ladies Boston terriers that got after me in the back yard, and if I was working ranch phone service it was a ranchers stock dog.
I came to the conclusion that little old ladies and ranchers have the most ill mannered stock you can encounter, they just don't have the time or inclination to train their dogs, always pissed me off...."oh hell he won't bite", heard it a million times.
That said, I prefer to have stock dog breeds, they have been some my best dogs around my place. Easy to train, loyal, and far smarter than any other breed Ive been around, second would be a hound, just all round even tempered and good dogs.
Least favorite dog breed, is any type of terrier, just not fond of them; high strung, with an on-off switch that's to sticky for me. Only terrier I can really say was easy to be around was an Airedale Brent had, but he operates with a pretty firm hand and won't tolerate an unruly animal.

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 11:16 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and that's the answer there, Victor. Probably a lot of those chickenshit dogs would behave if their owners were decent. Okay, sounds like I agree with koko but, (there's always a "but") the main thing is you have these certain breeds, and I for one don't have any use for them. There are good dogs and there are bad dogs. period.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: but, you told me you were a cable splicer? They work in a vault for days on end with a bewildering explosion of white/blue and while/orange, rings and tips, and a bunch of other colors, but few dogs fall in there. And, their chief tool is a dinky little pair of scissors, seldom a decent Lineman's Pliers or even a screwdriver

[ April 29, 2016, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 11:29 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh I did my share of working in manholes and cable vaults, but they were the exception rather than the rule. I was a lineman for 2 years, and a cable splicer for 8 years, with lots of time spent splicing a 25 pair cable run to some one tooth goober ranchers hovel in he middle of nowhere. The rest of the time was some form of service technician, either installing or repairing telephones or cable faults around the county.
trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 12:01 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
vic my wifes grandparents retired to Cochise county, would have been in the late 70s or early 80s I believe, I'm thinking mcneil, leo turner was the guys name, probably didn't know him but it made me think of it when you mentioned Cochise county

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 12:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a quiz: Do you know what "bird wire" is?

edit: I bet you still have that little pair of scissors with a holster?

[ April 29, 2016, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 12:20 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes to both Leonard. Even as late as 2002 when I retired, Bisbee had a few areas that had bird wire strung down several alleys. Have my snips in the leather holster in console of my truck....they come in handy now and again!
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2016 01:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The Maple St. Garage, where I worked out of, in Montebello, was probably 40 miles from the foothills of Sunland/Tujunga where a nasty storm caused some down lines up in the foothills. I never saw bird wire before or since, no real problem, just really different stuff to work with. I forget how many days we spent there, kind of Lineman's work, climbing poles without steps. I actually enjoyed the work, but my next job required a suit and tie....which I removed as I was stepping through the door. lol

We weren't supposed to work after dark but in summer, did work lots of 11/12 hour days, which really helped, besides meal vouchers, where we might have spent $3 but claimed $8. And, this was at $2 an hour, in 1963.

Down Memory Lane with El Bee

edit: SNIPS! Yes, of course!

[ April 29, 2016, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2016 02:33 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny.....I was a cable splicer for 17 years. I started with GTE in the Santa Fe Springs yard. Then I transferred over to Santa Monica where I quit to go to Hawaii and work for Bendix Field Engineering. I worked throughout SE Asia mostly for the Air Force during the Vietnam war era. My longest overseas assignment was at Clark AFB in the Philippines where I drank gallons of San Miguel beer.

I went contracting when I got back to the states and worked throughout California, Oregon and, for a while, Las Vegas. I spent a lot of time in Victorville and finally went to work for Contel. I transferred up to Juneau in 1974.

I also worked as a splicer in Anchorage. Then I went into engineering and went back east to New England before coming back west and once again hired on with Contel in Washington. Taken over by GTE and then Verizon I finally retired with 40 years in the industry. I have 5 pairs of snips that I keep in the truck, garage and in the kitchen knife drawer. When you're eating crab or lobster they really come in handy.I had a couple of pairs on my boat, too.

BTW, Leonard. I can cut a penny in half with those "little scissors" and I had a friend who I saw cut a nickel in half with them. They great for opening a bottle of beer, too. Handiest tool I know of.

It's amazing how much some of us on this board have in common.

When you splice in the city you often work in back yards. I don't know how many times I was told "my dog doesn't bite" and after the dog bites the shit out of you they say "He's never done that before."

The last dog that bit me was a Blue Heeler. If you faced the dog he'd keep his distance but if you turned your back on him he'd rush in and bite you. If the farmer wasn't looking I would've shot the bastard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui442IDw16o

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2016 08:04 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of cow dogs myself. Just yesterday an older guy was in buying a couple 5 gallon buckets of oil.

I said let me load 'em for ya, he say's I have the flatbed pickup, Ok I say. Then there he is some kinda Dingo-Shepherd mix. I ask is he friendly ? He says sometimes.

I politely set the oil down beside his pickup & said see ya !!

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2016 08:19 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, now you tell me! I had to use a friggin' hack saw on a whole bunch of pennies just last week! I sure could have used a nifty pair of snips! Where can I get a pair?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2016 10:54 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Funny to hear that mentioned again. Sign of a good hand and sharp pair of snips. Mine could always cut a penny on demand in about three seconds.
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2016 04:19 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Lowes has them in the electrical section on a board with other tools. Not the best brand but not the worst, either. Klein is the worst I've seen.

You need strong hands and you're going to be sore afterwards.

The proper name for them is Electrician's Shears. Wiss is the best but hard to find. If you have a Graybar store nearby you can usually find the good ones there.I contracted for a lot of years and bought all of my tools from Graybar.

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2016 06:26 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Double posted.

[ May 01, 2016, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters