The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » So, how "safe" is your SAFE?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So, how "safe" is your SAFE?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted April 18, 2016 06:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....and, I should know these things! Of course; electronic keypad, 9V battery, there must be a solenoid somewhere? The question is: where?

Still, a half way decent safe will keep out 9 out of 10 casual thieves. And, how many have a rare earth magnet in their pocket?

Will this keep you up at night, or will your "Attack Lab" protect your safe, no problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApJQ2wcYjBo

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 18, 2016 06:06 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a Liberty safe. Some time ago I watched a video on cracking a safe. If your safe only has a single wall it can be opened with an angle grinder on the sides or back. My safe has a standard combination lock. My friend tells me that it can be knocked off with a heavy hammer exposing the locking mechanism. I don't know about all that but it beats just keeping my guns in a closet and our valuable papers in a drawer somewhere.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2016 06:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have gathered, Moe, Liberty is one of the better ones? As far as a dial versus keypad, I haven't a clue, but I like the keypad utility.

What I heard was that they can chisel the back wall with a sledge and open it enough to get what's in it. Mine is wedged into a corner and lagged into the concrete floor so they can't turn it around.

But, all we keep out is the amateur and the dope heads. A real safe cracker will get in, no doubt. I carry an extra $25,000 in firearm insurance. I never added it up, but have an inkling that that amount wouldn't cover actual losses? <shrug> Another thing is kinda based on the neighborhood. People around here know when I'm home, and when I'm not. Then again, I could be kidding myself? Like, nobody really gives a shit.

I have three 8' sliders and the ADC guy described how easy they are to remove. When you know how?

I'm just throwing up a small deterrent, for my own gratification, and piece of mind. When you consider how they are after my credit cards with the super duper chip technology and all the rest, it's a wonder I haven't been picked clean a long time ago?

And, I only see a woman wearing a scarf very infrequently, so there's that...know whut I mean, Vernon?

Good hunting. El Bee ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2016 10:38 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
What I have to wonder is how long it will be before someone has weapons stolen from under the bed or in the closet and is prosecuted as irresponsible because they weren't in a safe even though as shown, safes provide little deterrent.
Calif. logic being what it is, if the gun owner didn't own the guns in the first place, the crack-head couldn't have taken them and shot the clerk during the robbery, there-fore it's partially the gun owner's fault.
Laugh if you want but there's more than one reason they call him Gov. Moonbeam. [Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2016 11:12 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolute truth, there, Amigo. Fairy Jerry has been rattling my cage for 40 years, ever since he halted construction of the 210 freeway through Upland and on to EVERYWHERE! Just to think of all the energy wasted in those 40 years getting from point A to point B. I've been burning on that decision ever since I bought this house. I know nobody else cares, but he should have been thrown in jail over that deal. GRRR

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2016 12:47 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
You're right as rain, Koko. It has been tried already.

When Susan and I married the very first thing she insisted on me getting a gun safe. We were on our way to Seattle and close to the Expo Center and it just happened that Liberty Safes was having a show that day. We went in and I saw this beautiful shiny green safe with gold trim and bought it. They delivered it a few days later when we got back from Seattle. I've been told that a keypad is more secure than a dial but I really don't know.

I have a sign that says, WARNING! DO NOT APPLY HEAT! EXPLOSIVES INSIDE.In case someone wants to open it with a torch.

A friend of mine in California had a safe that had a vial of teargas in it. If the safe was opened any way other than with the combination the vial broke. Just to see what one of those vials would do we took one out on the desert and broke it. Clear fumes you can't see. Not like in the movies. I caught a good whiff of it and was gagging and my eyes were watering to a long time after.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2016 01:23 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I like the sign idea! Fancy engraved or military type stencil?

Keeping one step ahead.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted April 19, 2016 02:21 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool idea.......but in Calif. El Bee's gonna need one in English, Spanish, French, German, Korean, Farsi, Ebonics, Klingon & Braille.

All I need to know about Gov. Moonbeam is that if I had been dating Linda Ronstat back in the day, I'd have a pair of her panties for a souvenir instead of a song about me that featured the phrase "You're no good, you're no good, you're no good" !!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2016 07:58 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest threat in my house is fire...I need to get a fireproof vault.

I like Liberty, but the one I am leaning toward is the Browning Premier. They have a gun rack on the inside of the door for those firearms you use more than the others.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2016 05:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
About fire. Some of you guys have met Tom Moore, who recently moved up to Idaho and I haven't heard a word from him since. He had his house completely destroyed, burned to the ground. Big house, about 7,000 sq. ft. on a 17 acre lot.

So, I picked him up soon after the new house was rebuilt, which took two years. In his four car garage, I saw a bunch of metal stacked on end in a 55 gallon drum. What was left of the contents of two safes.

He said the safe company made good, dropped off two new safes right away, but that was the extent of their liability; 30 minutes, 45 minutes, whatever it was? But, since the house burned all night even as he fought it as best he could, that fireproofing was more like a joke, in his situation.

Anyway, the way I consider it, now, and considering how unprotected were all the optics, and really, the guns probably wouldn't last much longer? Anyway, that fire rating doesn't provide much comfort.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: forgot to mention. if you want to double the fire rating at little expense, and lose a bit of space inside; just add more drywall around the sides. As long as there is some moisture inside, I guess the temperature won't get above (I think) 205 degrees? But they say the key is the moisture in the drywall, so a small fire, you might get lucky?

[ April 20, 2016, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2016 08:05 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard.....I have it printed in large letters on a standard piece of typewriter paper and taped on the safe on all sides. Nothing fancy.

BTW....I do have explosives in the safe. Perfectly legal stuff.

[ April 20, 2016, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: Moe ]

--------------------

jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2016 07:43 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
If the right crook wants to get into your safe, they're gonna, period. If the right crook wants to drag off your safe, they're gonna. They're deterrents, that's all. Just like car alarms and most home security, if the right scumbag comes along, it ain't gonna matter. A safe will deter the vast majority of thieves. "I ain't fucking with this esay, let's go down the street." If you have a safe, fire IS your biggest threat.
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 03:28 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
My safe use to be the JC Penny Money safe at their now closed Arizona Mills outlet store. It cost more to get the safe to my house than what I paid for it. It weighs 3500 lbs. The doors are an inch and a half thick. The walls, floor and top are one inch thick.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2016 06:01 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to work for an outfit that moved into what previously was a Budweiser beer distributorship, complete with lots of garage parking for the delivery trucks. Anyway, in the office there was a nice safe that was probably twenty feet deep and maybe six wide? We kept spare electronic parts inside, of which there was quite a lot, you know, for Video-jets, and check-weighers, etc.

Well, somebody closed the safe. Boy, you never seen some pissed off bosses and in my opinion, I wouldn't have to look too far to locate the guilty party; David Langer. They never did get it open. Somebody say inch and a half thick walls? How about a foot and a half? And, I know for a fact, the outside walls were some seriously hardened steel. A shame, really.

I think eventually, it was scrapped, wrote it off. Don't know the reason why they built a new 120,000 sq.ft. plant, but that safe might have been the motivation? All I know is, it sure kept me busy for a while! Some of you might have heard of Langer's, they put up a lot of juice.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ April 27, 2016, 06:01 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters