The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Conversation piece

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Conversation piece
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 07:20 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
When I was in high school, I worked for the guy who had this trap. He wasn't a trapper or anything like that. I think the trap came with the place. He did say he thought it was made by a blacksmith in the early 1900's. It's all riveted and pinned.

Long story short, I always thought the trap was kind of interesting and told him way back then that I'd buy it if he ever wanted to sell it, I'd buy it.

I hadn't thought about it in many years. I'll be damned, if he didn't have it given to me over Christmas. Evidently nobody in his family wanted it and he remembered me being interested in it 30 years ago. I doubt it has any real value in terms of money since it is homemade, but somebody sweated a day or two over making it.

-

-

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 08:01 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow !!!!
Now, if that thing could only talk.............

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 08:25 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice, that would be cool hanging on the side of a shed or something ?
Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 08:45 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like it was cobbled together with leaf springs and the base piece is a wrench that at one time was used for square nuts. The pan is a section of saw blade.
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2016 08:13 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty stinkin' cool!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2016 09:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Thanks for sharing that! I love it!

But, I am very impressed with the steel table in the background.

You can leave either of them in the will for me. Thank you!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: PS that garage is too friggin' neat.

[ January 02, 2016, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2016 10:10 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
now that is a trap. Very cool that 30 years later it found its way to you Lonny.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2016 10:27 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat trap but I think the story is even cooler!!! Really nice of that guy to remember you!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2016 04:36 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool. Any weld points on it? Had to be forge welded being that old.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2016 06:32 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog, No, nothing on it is welded.

At some point in time, I'm pretty the trap had teeth. If you look at the top of the jaws in the second pic, you can see the heads of pins. On the underside of the jaws, there is a place where one pin is still holding a piece of broken metal, that I assume was a tooth. I think somebody may have purposely broke off the teeth at some point.

The guy I worked for who had the trap, came from the era that you keep everything that might have a purpose down the road.

I think he may have kept the trap around thinking that the metal might be used for something else someday. When I worked for him I did lots of fence fixing and tearing out old fence. I still despise hog wire to this day... He would have me save all the staples and nails I pulled and straighten them on rainy days. He definitely came from the era that you don't waste anything, but yet he was very organized and knew exactly where everything was and what he had. Nothing but total respect for the guy.

[ January 03, 2016, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2016 09:24 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I just noticed the C clamps you are using to compress the springs! Had not thought about that before? On a coyote or wolf size trap, you usually just stand on the springs, not this baby!

Can we assume this would be a grizzly trap? Imagine custom digging that hole and sifting fines around the pan. Now, what are you going to anchor it to? Use a railroad tie as a drag?

The thing is, considering the engineering that went into building this trap, he must have had a very specific application? Several orders of magnitude beyond everyday fur trapping. But, you could actually make your own, if you had nothing better to do for a weekend project.

I recollect, (or ponder, if you prefer?), that some time back, there were some "Griz" traps offered for sale, as wall hangers and not actual, functional bear traps. But it does make a neat conversation piece.

You can also buy a framed and uncut sheet of $100 dollar bills from the U.S. Treasury, in D.C. The guy next door went cheap and got the "one dollar" version, which is still impressive.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters