The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » American Pie

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: American Pie
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 09:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent this via email yesterday but then got it back and was just thinking about it.

I can tell you exactly where I was the first time I heard that song. I worked at Bulldog Electric and was on Greenwood in Montebello. At the time, I didn't know whether to keep going or pull over?

But, I did memorize the lyrics. Really profound stuff.

Subject: The Day the Music Died

A good bit of information, well told.

It was amazing how I remembered it, having lived it all, wow. Welcome to the past where my memories reside.

THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED----One of the very Best!

I have listened to the words to American Pie for years and thought I understood everything that was being sung about. However, when the words are put together with pictures and film clips, the song becomes even clearer. This video is very well done and took imagination to write it, and a lot of work putting the images together.

http://youtu.be/VhX3b1h7GQw

Enjoy it and let your memories refresh.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 10:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just happened to think about this. While I remembered the song American Pie, and when I first heard it, I also remember the event.

Used to gather in the school parking lot before school and it was that morning that they were talking about a plane crash somewhere in the midwest.

I didn't know Ritchie Valens from Adam, but The Big Bopper had a hit record out. The big deal though was Buddy Holly. Everybody knew Buddy Holly and the Crickets.

So, back to the American Pie record. I think I was either a sophomore or junior in high school when the plane crashed?

So, that would be maybe 1958? Then, after graduation in 1960 and spending three years in the Army, I'm guessing it was about 1966 or so when the record came out?

But, I knew instantly what it was about. Kind of Cosmic; ya know?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 10:51 AM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
I like and remember that song well. I cannot tell you when or where I first heard it. I do remember where I was at when Kennedy was shot and when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 11:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, lol.

I was at a taco stand on Washington Blvd in Montebello when I heard that Kennedy was shot.

In the case of Armstrong landing on the moon, boy was that ever different!

See, I was hunting up in Nevada with my partner Pat. He didn't have a girlfriend but a good job working for his father's plumbing business, sooo...he liked to stop at a brothel on Sunday mornings when we were done hunting.

I liked to go in with him just to look at the girls, but because I always had a problem paying for sex, I was just soaking up a little atmosphere.

This particular place was called Ash Meadows, and it had an airstrip and supposedly, was owned by Frank Sinatra?

The "Madam" was of course, black and she brought out six girls in very sexy garb. Pat picked the girl with the biggest tits and they all retired somewhere in the back.

Except for one girl who stayed out in the Bar area and she went to a side room and turned on a TV. I didn't remember the moon landing but she did. We talked about her a little, she was in college and how much money she made, (a lot) other small talk. And, she was for sure the best looking one of the bunch.

But we were the only one's that watched the moon landing,
everybody else was either sleeping or being pumped up by Pat.

My wife was never very comfortable with me going to cat houses. I told her about it but she wondered about the temptations, etc. I never had enough money for that stuff anyway. But all her girlfriends said they didn't believe me, and she never ordered me to never step foot in one.

But, thinking logically. If I was in there as a customer, wouldn't I be an idiot to talk about it and yet say I never cheated on her?

Anyway, when her mother heard about it she asked me to take her youngest son, (Bruce) up there and get him laid. Yes, true story.

That guy never had any interest in sex, and I doubt if he ever has except once when he was seduced in college. He told his sister it was no big deal and I believe him!

But, think about it, my mother-in-law was willing to give me the money to introduce her son to "the world".. That almost sounds as unbelievable as me resisting temptation, donut? And, she was a church lady! And, Bruce looked and dressed just like the lumberjack on the Bounty paper towels. Very tall, beard, not bad looking at all, and zero sex drive.

Funny stuff
Good hunting. El Bee
Happy New Year!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 06:45 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I was at Greenwood Elemantry (6th grade)on that day probably within a mile or less from you LB if you were eating lunch at Jims Burgers in Montebello. They had the best charbroiled burgers & pastrami sandwiches I've ever eaten + a special burrito that I still remember 50+ years later.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 09:32 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
I had been married for only a week or so when I heard of the Kennedy assassination. My new wife and I had played hooky from work so we could play all day.

We both took a nap and when I turned on the tv we both left the room. When the tv warmed up the first words out of it was Walter Cronkite saying, "And these are the final moments of the president's life." There was no work the next day and no place where we could buy some food. This was in San Francisco. On the third day we found an art theater open so we went to see Dr Strangelove and got some popcorn and candy. It was a miserable 4 days.

As far as hearing about Buddy Holly I remember waking up and turning on the radio and hearing the news. I was a sophomore in high school and later that year I would move to Taiwan for 2 1/2 years. I was and still am a big Buddy Holly fan. When I pick up my Stratocaster, which isn't often anymore, I play some Buddy Holly stuff.

I lived in Barstow when American Pie came out.

I had been hunting up in the Owens with a friend the night before Armstrong walked on the moon. In the morning I was driving like a maniac and listening to the radio trying to get home to watch it live on tv. I didn't make it. I was within the city limits and heard it but I had to watch it second hand when I got home.

I'm having trouble remembering her name but there was a very famous blond actress that worked out at Ash Meadows for a while before she got discovered.

When I got my private pilots license at Daggett a couple of morticians used to pay to rent an airplane from Barstow Aviation so I could fly them out to Ash Meadows. By law I couldn't accept money and I had no real interest in getting a divorce so I waited at the plane until they were done. What I got was flying time towards my commercial ticket.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 09:34 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Don made a $1.2 million more off that song

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/don-mclean-american- pie-sells-1-2m-auction-article-1.2176818

[ January 01, 2016, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2016 06:31 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
It was a big deal at our house as Ritchie Valens went to high school with my sister. At San Fernando High school.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2016 12:16 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the Regional burger franchises in Salina, Kansas, has old rock and roll memorabilia as part of their restaurant motif.

There is an actual playbill from the Clear Lake, Iowa gig featuring, Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper in one of the Salina burger joints.

I was only 18 months old when JFK bought it, but my mom still remembers the day.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters