The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » 2016 hunting license?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 2016 hunting license?
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 08:01 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Do you guys need any sort of license or tags to hunt coyotes in your state? If so, what does it cost for a yearly license?

In ID, we need a standard hunting license for coyotes. $33.00 for a hunting and fishing combo license. This doesn't include any tags for big game. This basically just gets you hunting varmints, small game, and upland game.

I just bought my 2016-2018 hunting/Fishing combo license the other day. Idaho just started selling licenses that are good for more than one year. Kinda handy really to not have to remember to buy one before Jan 1.

[ December 31, 2015, 08:11 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 08:10 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a hunting license to hunt coyotes here in Kali...for now. Im pretty sure we will have a season and tags of some kind for coyotes soon.

I probably will not be hunting much.. if at all.. here if that comes to be.

Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 08:24 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting we were just talking about this very subject here @ work. I guess the gas station across the road sell's 'em. Was planning on going over @ lunch.

Thank's Lonny I didn't know you could get a three year license.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 08:30 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I missed out on the 3 year deal when I bought my 2015 license, but remembered it this year. And it saves you a whole two dollars! [Smile]

As cashed strapped is the Idaho F&G claims to be, I'm surprised they don't try to somehow make money off of a coyote tag or something of that nature.

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 09:13 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife bought me a Kansas Lifetime license for Christmas in 1986...licenses were $20 a year back then and I think it cost $200...I have more than made my money back.

The lifetime license is good to have as I didn't know if I would be moving from Kansas at the time. What a lifetime license does here is that it allows the holder to be treated like a resident when it comes to big game permits, even if you live out of state.

As far as coyotes go, they need no permit and can be hunted year round. Bobcats, red fox, badgers, etc. require an annual fur harvester permit to either hunt or trap. A non-resident really gets hosed on 'cats, as it costs around $100 for one tag, and I think NR's are only allowed one cat tag per year.

Kansas is getting cash strapped as well, and are starting to charge senior citizens to hunt and fish. It used to be once you hit 65, you did not need a hunting or fishing license any more.

[ December 31, 2015, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 11:27 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Bought the big combo a week ago has all the tags plus the steelhead and salmon tags.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 12:01 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I just checked on a Oregon non-resident hunting license now that I'm basically on the border.

$148.50 ouch !!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 12:25 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes you need a hunting license to shoot coyotes in Arizona. You don't have to have one in Utah.

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1924 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 03:06 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Oregon spends millions of dollars to control coyotes every year yet they charge people who want to hunt coyotes for sport. They also place ridiculous restrictions on calibers during the deer and elk seasons making it even more difficult for coyote hunters.

The state tried to make it illegal for anyone without a big game tag to possess a firearm in the filed. The state supreme court ruled the law to be unconstitutional so now they treat everyone as a poacher.

I usually buy a season non resident license to hunt California but with the new laws taking effect I don't think that's in the cards in the future.

I read where guys come here to Oregon to take part in coyote hunting contests or just to do some calling for a couple of days. I see where they say they hunt nights, too, which is illegal. I have to wonder how many, if any, have bought a small game license in order to hunt legally. There is no short term license that allows you to hunt coyotes in Oregon.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 04:19 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Moe, maybe you might know. I was reading the Oregon reg's and it appears a resident can buy a license to hunt non game ex: coyotes.

A non-resident need to buy a hunting license, ok whatever. However I noticed the furtakers license, does one have to have that resident or not to harvest the hides if so desired ?

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 07:09 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
"As far as coyotes go, they need no permit and can be hunted year round..."

Have to correct you, Tim. In Kansas, residents need a general hunting license to hunt coyotes, a furharvesting license to trap coyotes, and whichever the coyote was taken under to sell the pelt. Prices were $20 for each up to 2015. Just went up this year to $25 for hunting and $27.50 for adult res furharvesting license.

I pursued having this changed a few years back to making it legal for a guy to hunt coyotes under a furharvesting license to make it easier on those of us who hunt only coyotes and furbearers. KDWPT supported the effort but it died in committee at the end of the legislative session.

Interestingly enough, in the state of Kansas, furbearer hunting and trapping regulations are just that - regulations - and are determined by the Commissioners of the KDWPT. Coyotes, in contrast, are and have always been legislated statutorily and any changes to the way we pursue and take coyotes must be initiated as a bill in the state legislature and go the statutory route. Just goes to show the historical significance of the coyote and its impact on the livestock and ag industries. This is the primary reason for the hang up on letting us kill coyotes with a FH permit. Coyotes are listed as neither furbearer or game animal. Instead, they are classified as a "varmint" in a class all their own. I had to do some fancy talking to convince the folks I was working with on my proposal to do what they needed to do to unwrap their brains from the fur harvesting = furbearer conundrum and embrace the concept that coyotes are still harvested for fur but do not necessarily have to be re-classified as a furbearer to make the change possible.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 08:17 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just bought the Arizona combo hunt / fish license w/trout & two pole stamp included. Also got archery deer, turkey, bear & cougar tags.
$167.00
Seems a wee bit spendy at first glance, but the coyote pelts alone will pay that. Everything else is sunshine & lollipops!!!!!

[Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 11:37 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
It is a $2 permit to night hunt in NJ. The permit also entitles you to use rifle, or BB and T shot in a shotgun. You can day hunt without the tag, but you would be limited to #4 birdshot, which doesn't work well on northeastern coyotes (speaking from experience).

[ January 01, 2016, 11:37 AM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 11:47 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just baffled by NJ game laws! Why #4 birdshot in the daytime? Who decides these things?

Come to think of it, most/some game laws are stupid and written by basically uninformed people. In my opinion.

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: the best thing about the gougers in AZ is the switch to an annual license and the bad thing is the $160 for non res.

Good hunting. El Bee

[ January 01, 2016, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 12:24 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
The No Hunting on Sunday law that some states have is the one that makes my head spin... Crazy law.
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 12:55 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
We have assholes like this running our state:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/26/leland-yee-gun-traffickin_n_5038152.html

Tip of the iceberg here. This is the same asshole that spearheaded outlawing hound hunting here, yet got a bill killed that would outlaw cutting the fins of of live caught sharks and leaving them to die so asians could have thier shark fin soup/aphrodisiac shit.

Im a bit off topic here but you get my point.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2016 04:18 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, you know what else is funny...it is a $2 permit to night hunt for coyotes, and a $2 permit to hunt bear.

Yet, in order to kill a doe during extended deer season you have to buy a $26 permit. If you want to kill a buck during extended deer season you have to by yet another $26 permit. And if you are buck hunting only, you can't just buy the buck permit, they make you buy both.

It is very obvious which animals that Fish and Game wants to get rid of, and which animals they want to procreate. They just hit you in the wallet..

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2016 06:41 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave Allen, you can call all the Coyotes you.want on NR hunting license in OR. But to take bobcat you will need the NR furtakers license.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2016 09:40 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, You can buy a resident or a non resident license and shoot as many coyotes as your heart desires. There are restrictions placed upon you during the draw hunts. If you don't have an unused big game tag during a draw hunt you can only use a shotgun. There are 5 GMU's where you are limited to 22 caliber and under and they're in the southwest corner of the state.

The game laws are intentionally written in a way so they are difficult to comprehend. When the guy who wrote the regulation booklet was asked he said that people could all him and ask what it means. If you talk to the people at ODFW to ask them a question you will get as many opinions as people asked. What I did was contact the warden in the area where I actually hunt to ask him his interpretation. He explained what he thought but then warned me that if I were stopped by a deputy sheriff his opinion might be different as well as the judge's. It's a hell of a way to run a state.

Property owners are exempt from some of these laws. Property owners and their agents can hunt at night on their own property. You have to be an agent. Simple permission doesn't count.

I find I don't enjoy killing bobcats like I once did but I did buy a furtaker's license a few years ago. I haven't kept up. Here's a link: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hunting/small_game/regulations/docs/Furbearer_Regulations.pdf

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2016 10:25 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thank's guys, that clears things up. I haven't hunted in Oregon for 10 years now.

When gas jacked up it just got to expensive.

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2016 04:39 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
CO
Small game for coyotes but the licence is valid through March of the following year to accommodate the entire winter season on small game. We used to have to buy a fur bearer's license, but no longer do, to shoot the more hairier critters (my 3rd grade teacher would kill me for writing that). We do have to go get a seal for a bobcat within 3 days of getting it killed.
Our stupid law, in my opinion is, No electronic callers for mountain lions but okay for bobcats (and bears). But both cats share season dates and share habitat!! Stupid law!...... so, what if you are licensed for both and you are using an electronic caller for coyote, fox, and bobcats and the lion comes in?!?!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2016 06:23 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
The no hunting Sundays law is a carryover from very early days when hunting was prohibited on the Sabbath for religious reasons. Some states still have that rule, but most have repealed it.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2016 05:53 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Lance...meant no specific permit...I implied a hunting license is needed--should not have made the assumption that everyone knew that! Thanks for clarifying!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2016 04:51 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
NY made some changes to the licensing structure for this past season, switching to a more 'a la carte' style.
Hunting predators require a general hunting license.
Season dates for all licenses are 10/1--->9/30.

My buddy blew $100 on a non res general hunting license to come calling here, which is valid thru 9/30/16. But coyote season ends 3/30 and fox seson ends 2/28, IIRC?

No special furbearer tag required for bobcat in NY, but they do need checked in within 24hrs of take to be pelt sealed by a DEC agent. Hope that one day I'll hafta undertake that toil & trouble!

Just got my annual OK non-res license + furbearer tag, for this calendar year. 1/1--->12/31/16
$142 + $51 = $196.oo to kill coyotes & cats in OK...

[ January 05, 2016, 04:52 AM: Message edited by: knockemdown ]

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters