The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Shotgun shooting drill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shotgun shooting drill
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2015 11:28 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I know some of you carry shotguns on stand, and I think there was a thread about a year ago on how to be able to hit targets, like coyotes, that were moving at angles of 90 degrees to your stand position. At the time, I suggested going to a sporting clays range and practicing on rabbit targets. While I still think that is a good suggestion, I have some additional information to those of us that might have issues with crossing targets.

I took a class from someone that had attended a class taught by Gil and Vicki Ash. Gil and Vicki are the foremost instructors for everything shotgun. They operate the OSP, (Optimum Shooting Performance), Shooting School.

I have around an 80-81% average in Sporting Clays, but hard right to left crossers, and vice-versa, are my kryptonite…I probably lose about 5-6 targets per round 100, all crossers, just because I have to think too much about lead.

Everyone’s perception of lead is different…some use the ‘swing through’ method, some use the ‘maintained lead’ method, and it is just damn frustrating trying to explain or teach the lead concept to a beginning shooter.

Most of the guys I hunt with have been hunting feathered creatures since God was a pup…so trying to insert a new shotgun concept into our old, hard noggins is a bit tough.

After I took this instruction, I drank the Kool-Aid and sold out to the method I am about to explain, and it has made me a believer. After practicing the method in the classroom, we went to the range and worked on hard right to left and left to right crossers. I broke 10 out of 10…5 right to left, and 5 left to right crossers using this method.

The method is called the ‘3 bullet drill’…here is a link to a 3 minute YouTube video on what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BCLskPpxqs

Basically, you find a safe spot where you can put up 3 shotgun shells about 15 feet from you on a table, fence rail, etc. Place them about 10-12 inches away from each other in a straight line where you can see all 3 shells.

Making sure your shotgun is unloaded…practice focusing on the center shell, and mount the gun on the left shell…this would simulate a hard right to left target…do the opposite for hard left to right crossers…focus on the center shell and mount the gun on the right shell. What you are simulating is mounting the gun ahead of the target. Your eyes and brain are wonderful things, and when you do this, your brain tells you to keep swinging, and when you squeeze the trigger, the target breaks…it is the damndest thing, but it works!

It takes some getting used to, as you're focusing on the target, not the bead on your shotgun. Your basic instinct is going to want you to mount your gun where you are looking, so it will take some practice.

Herein lies the challenge…if you mount the gun ON the target on stuff moving at a 90 degree angle to you, you probably will never catch up and end up shooting behind whatever it is you are banging away at.

Just thought I would impart a bit of knowledge! Hope it helps!

[ December 23, 2015, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2015 07:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Shotguns are a bit mysterious to me, as it is. The above video, clear enough; look at one bullet and "aim" at another, just doesn't do it for me?

The illustrations were not very definitive, I couldn't tell where the barrels were pointing other than listening to the description? It's pointing at the left "bullet" but it doesn't look like it, to me.

So you point your gun where you aren't looking, right? I'm sure this method will make sense to many people, but not me? Hell, I can't even follow through properly. I'm lucky to break 18 on my best day, and that's trap, not skeet. I can't even remember where the bird is coming from unless somebody is coaching me?

In other words, I need more help than this video provides. But, thanks anyway.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31307 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2015 08:20 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
interesting concept, one that a beginner might be able to grasp sooner than someone stuck in their ways, maybe?
I was fortunate enough to be blessed with natural shotgun shooting skills. First time out, when I was 11, with a single shot 4/10 and 7 shells, I killed 5 dove, one rabbit, and missed one shot. Not long after that, I had my own 20 gauge shotgun, that I still have.
I'm a "constant" lead shooter. Same with my rifle. At this point, I don't think I could train myself to try that particular method, unless of course, I just forced myself to practice it over and over and over again. Interesting concept though, first I've ever seen it.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters