The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Merry Christmas and winter is here. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Merry Christmas and winter is here.
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2015 02:09 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I put reflective tape on the back of my caller. It helps me locate it when on stand at night, and more importantly when I am trying to find the damn thing after a stand when calling at night.

I also think mismatched camo can work well in certain situations. If you look at the bottom of the trees on Lonny's background, you can see they are darker and will blend with his dark camo pants. The pattern on his snow camo jacket matches the trees nicely. Well thought out..

This is coming from a guy from NJ though. Anybody have camo that matches cement and asphalt?

[URL=http://s259.photobucket.com/user/4949shooter/media/New-Jersey-Turnpike_1.jpg.html]  - [/UR L]

[ December 28, 2015, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2015 04:31 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nick, does that reflective tape catch your eye when scanning in the dark? I know when calling at night, every little reflection from the light makes me look twice!

My CS has a little green LED on the back to denote the power is on. That's usually enough visual to find it in the dark. If not, or I killed something out front of it, I just hit preset "0" on the remote & follow the vole squeeks to the prize... [Wink]

PS, haven't lost my EDC in two years, a new record!
 -

Camo on EDC items like knives & flashlights makes no sense!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2015 12:10 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Mr. Nick...where in NJ do you go hunting? Im just curious because it seems like finding places to hunt there would be difficult ? Maybe not?
Mark

[ December 30, 2015, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Lone Howl ]

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 30, 2015 03:33 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, not sure what you mean by catch my eye with the reflective tape? I can see it when I am using a headlamp. Sometimes I go without a light though. It doesn't bother me, if that's what you mean?

Unfortunately, the little green light on my FP scorpion tends to get obscured by leaves or snow.

Mark, I hunt various places in NJ. I hunt on public land (NJ Wildlife Management land), other state lands, and some private property. You are correct though, it is getting harder and harder to hunt in NJ. I have already lost some prime hunting properties.

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 31, 2015 04:43 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
At night, I tend to pan the light back & forth quickly trying to catch the 'eye shine' of a critter. If something reflects back in the beam, it automatically catches my attention.

Heck, when its snowing, sometimes the light will grab a snowflake just right and it reflects back like an little eyeball! Or, deer show up and I have to catalog their position in my brain & ignore them while looking for the 'right' eyes...

Solo, walk-in calling, at night, on the ground with only a flashlight poses enough challenges. I've kinda gravitated toward making it as "idiot proof" as possible. Seein' as how most humans tend to be bumblin' idiots in the dark (I know I am!), when I pondered the reflective tape on the caller idea, the notion that it might actually be a distraction popped into my head...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 09:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly what you mean, Fred.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 01, 2016 11:33 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear you Fred. I have a strip of tape on the caller, so it looks less like an eye.

Though quite frankly, when I am looking for my caller in the dark I am more concerned with a bear I may have inadvertently called in sneaking up behind me. I would rather deal with the reflection issue rather than have to fumble around looking for my caller in the dark in bear country. I have already had one bruin circle around behind me at night. It gets your blood pumping for sure!

knockemdown
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2016 06:12 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Dang!
When do them suckers den up to hibernate?

Had my homenugget Ronnie fly in from OK this weekend, and we got a coyote called in & killed Saturday afternoon, just before dark. I think I was more excited than he was!?!?!

We made 5-6 other good proven stands, hoping for a couple more, but nothing came of it. Tried at night sparingly, and not a peep? Wind was not good for my night stuff, so we just hung out & relaxed by the fire. I'd rather make fewer stands with the conditions ideal, than wreck shit just for the sake of trying. Otherwise, we'd been hard at it after dark...

Was definitely interesting to get an 'outsiders' take on the NE version of calling reality. Sure felt good to see one respond & get whacked!!!

4949shooter
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted January 04, 2016 07:38 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
They don't den up soon enough for me!

Glad you got to call and kill something Northeastern style..

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters