The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Merry Christmas and winter is here. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Merry Christmas and winter is here.
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2015 09:27 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas to all and hoping winter is going well for you.

After a non-existent winter last year and dry as heck summer, we are getting plenty of snow this winter. To the point that it's going to make getting around difficult.

A week ago a guy could drive and walk just about anywhere, but the last few storms have piled the snow up especially at higher elevations.

Can't get to this spot anymore.

-

[ December 23, 2015, 09:28 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2015 10:36 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2015 10:59 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas to you as well from Kansas, Lonny!

We are supposed to get what you are getting now around Saturday afternoon all the way into Monday!

Heading out Saturday morning to catch those coyotes wanting to fill their bellies ahead of the storm!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2015 08:05 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
It's winter? [Razz]

There'll be no prime fur, here, this year. It's currently 69 degrees and headed for the mid 70's. [Roll Eyes]

I've kind of regrouped on my 100 fox season, taking a page from DAA... I'm hoping to get 12 good pictures, instead.

Photography, makes the game harder. [Wink]

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2015 08:20 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's warmer in Maryland in Dec. than it is in Arizona ????
That's just wrong !!!!!
[Eek!]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2015 08:24 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas all.
We've had snow on the ground here since the first blizzard dumped 16" back in November. Thankfully each snow almost gets melted away before more fresh stuff shows up keeping it from piling too high. I've reached the age that walking in anything deeper than 2" just sucks.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2015 10:21 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas, dudes!!!

It's like 70 sumthin' here...yuck!
Send some snow this way, this warm weather is bullshit!!!

Enjoy, be safe & best wishes...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2015 11:50 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas All!

Snow has been piling up around here too. Drifts have me locked out of all my best country for the duration. Probably won't even get out and try but maybe a couple more times before I call it quits for the year.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2015 05:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been on the chilly side until recently.

We have had somewhat more rain this year than normal, which is good, and helps with my watering program, but maybe too late, since my lawn looks dead? Jerry Brown is such an asshole!

Been hearing some chatter about a "solstice" so there's that.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2015 08:34 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Rain and snow in the west and warm in the east? Sure sounds like this El Nino thing is for real.

But wow, 70's in late December for Knockem and Krusty. That is just wrong...

A little snow I like simply for seeing coyotes, but most of the time there is either too much or it's noisy or you break through with every other step.

Overall we are still a couple inches behind on moisture despite the wet December.

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2015 06:44 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas everyone!
It's warm here too and we have 6-7" of rain headed for us Saturday thru Monday. Wish it was snow and just west of us it might be but this is Oklahoma, it'll be below freezing before long, maybe today.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2015 07:02 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Christmas sucks. Can't weait 'til it's over. Only 365 more days until I have to endure this bullshit all over again.

Anyway, it's been relatively warm here, too. Made calling comfortable but very unproductive. Nothing is hungry enough. The few I've killed in the past two weeks already look like crap. No luster to them. Lots of mange. Locked down, no reason to be moving. Just sit on their asses grabbing every rodent that isn't hibernating as it walks by. Last night, wespent 35 minutes calling one of our best honey holes right up to sunset. Nothing. Closed the stand with a group yip howl on the UOne and waited for about 5 minutes until coyotes lit up within a half-mile of us in three different directions. Bastards!.

Cage trapping has been "meh", four days and nothing - not even a skunk or coon. Doing exactly how Mercer recommends. Even had a crippled, one-legged Rio Grande jake roosting by one cage for two days because he apparently thought it was the safest place in the world for him. That's F'd up.

I hate Christmas.

[ December 25, 2015, 07:04 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2015 07:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Sun's up and it's 41 degrees here in Upland, "The City of Gracious Living". Yes, that's the official title. Not a cloud in the sky.

Merry Christmas!

I was reading last night that wishing a Merry Christmas is enough to piss some people off. Must be talking about Godless Liberals? The one's that elected our first Muslim President....
(plus those two people I know that voted for him)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2015 08:38 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Well in THAT case... MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Krusty

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2015 10:11 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
The Puritans didn't like Merry Christmas either. Think it was an actual crime to celebrate Christmas when they ran things? Not positive about that though.

I'm as godless as it gets and can't imagine being troubled by it.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2015 11:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I am guessing, Dave.

Like someone once said: There are no atheists on their deathbed.

And, when it's your turn to throw off this mortal coil; "The Outfit" will eulogize you most sincerely as a treasured son.

And, (lol) you won't be able to do a thing about it. Oh, the irony.

Hey, it can't hurt? You know, just incase.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2015 11:55 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Rain yesterday....bright and sunny today.
Merry Christmas.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted December 25, 2015 06:21 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
A lite dusting of snow last night 3 below this morning with a high of 24.and a nice clear sunny day.
Hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2015 02:45 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the jacket / camo pattern.
Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2015 07:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect he is more interested in showing us his "cool" suppressor than his mismatched camo.

I don't mean it, really. The devil made me do it. I'm going to find out how much it would cost to have 20 barrels threaded for suppressors? There's a guy in Colorado that won't hunt with me unless I do.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Grizz
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2015 08:35 AM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leonard, are you still a member of San Gabriel?

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2015 03:23 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
A late Merry Christmas my Amigo's !!

As far was weather goes we've had above average precipitation so far this fall and winter. Finally rolled out of bed about 9:00 this morning to a clear crisp 8 above. Snow on the ground looks normal for a change !!

Peace my friends..

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2015 06:17 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect he is more interested in showing us his "cool" suppressor than his mismatched camo.

I don't mean it, really. The devil made me do it. I'm going to find out how much it would cost to have 20 barrels threaded for suppressors? There's a guy in Colorado that won't hunt with me unless I do.

Good hunting. El Bee

Ha Ha! You are a wise one Leonard and you sniffed me right out!

Hey though, you really didn't expect me to unscrew the dang suppressor just for a pic and possibly lose the damn thing in the snow now did ya? [Smile] Seriously, misplacing the thing has crossed my mind...

The snow camo top is pushing 20 years old and was the cheapest snow camo Cabela's had back then. I don't wear it much and it offers nothing in the way of warmth.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2015 01:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm tha same way on camo. Much of it is old and well broke in. Mismatch never bothered me in the slightest.

It's interesting the pages devoted to camo patterns in cabelas and bass proshops. I dont need it and furthermore, I could probably dress 4/6 guys with stuff I could pull out of my camo bag.

What disgusts me is the number of camo gear that seriously shouldn't be camoed at all. Have a camo flashlite or knife fall out of your pocket and now finding it is that much more difficult.

You realize, when i started, you had a hard time finding camo clothing, anywhere, not even military surplus was in camo patterns. I think we have gone a little overboard.

Good hunting. El bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2015 03:16 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
All for a buck, LB. I look at the opportunities I deliberately and intentionally passed up to make myself rich, if'n I'd been willing to abandon my wife and family, by pimping myself out to the corporate types. Without going too far overboard and showing my hand too much, I'm with all of you in that I just can't watch an outdoor show on TV or even read most other guys' stuff because much of what they say is misguided, if not patently false and indefensible anymore.

For instance, you speak of mismatched camo. I did a piece years ago promoting this very concept - ON PURPOSE! I figure of all your camo sucks, then wear mismatched tops and bottoms. If a coyotes does see you, maybe he sees just the top or bottom half and isn't able to put together the entire picture of a human form. Especially key when dealing with light snow. Snow bottoms and regular camo tops.

When we started blowing shit up in the Middle East, Uncle Sam outfitted all his men and women in ACU's. Neighbors in the Army gave me several sets of the good shit they're given. Too light colored. I died them to a darker, more muted tan. Wear them exclusively now because they are the best pattern available, comfortable as hell, lots of well-placed pockets, and because they are built to take major abuse. Funny thing is that about four years ago, the DoD started offering ACU's in almost the exact same color of tan that I've been using for years. Trendsetter?

Never made me a fan of advertisers, I'm sure, when my photo support was in some unidentifiable redneck pattern rather than theirs. Didn't care. That wasn't my point.

I've always laughed at the litany of shit you can buy in camo, and for the same reasons as you. If it's in my pocket and it's important, I usually give it a wrapping of blaze orange tape in case it falls out. Knives, pocket lights, I even put a strip of orange tape across the backside of my caller so we know exactly where it is from behind it. Orange stripes around the legs of my shooting sticks, clear at the bottom where they are hidden in the grass most of the time. Same with the screw-in spike on the bottom of my MOJO decoy as well as the battery compartment door for it, both of which like to fall off. Every time you go to stick it in the ground, the door falls off and it's gone. On the third door since I bought that thing. Problem solved. Tired of replacing shit I lose.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters