The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Living Vicariously

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Living Vicariously
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2015 11:42 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
[URL=http://s92.photobucket.com/user/CrossJ/media/Chases%20Bighorn_zpsr8iu83pd.jpg.html]  - [/UR L]

My son posted this yesterday, and I thought I would share. Story is this hunter has put in for this tag for 41 years, was finally drawn and my son was able to help guide him to his trophy. It appears as if my son may be happier than the hunter....lol

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2015 03:52 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
That's because your kid ain't quite as concerned about what lies ahead as the old guy. Trust me, I can relate. Great pic!
Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2015 05:12 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe because the hunter knows how few, maybe none, sheep hunts he has in front of him...

Great scene though! Nothing says hunting like that does.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
trapper2
Knows what it's all about
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2015 05:17 PM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
is he the son that helps at some of the shoots in western ok gordie? if so didn't he win something for helping at one of them?

--------------------
nothing is politically correct if its morally wrong

Posts: 248 | From: okla | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2015 05:54 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea Trapper, he won a rifle two years ago at the heatstroke...its the rifle Luckett built. he sold it to me to finance some other things. Actually a good plan....he got the cash, and dear ol' dad bought the components and did load development for when he is home....lol.

As far as the smile on his face, I kind of meant it as a joke.....he is always smiling. He is happiest when right in the middle of doing something, weather working for me, helping at a rifle match or packing other peoples game off a mountain.

--------------------

CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2015 06:05 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

Here are a couple more

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2015 07:18 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Give him a plug, Geordie. Who does he work for?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2015 08:17 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
A lazy H outfitters

--------------------

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2015 05:55 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
yea thought mike had told me he had won rifle, what caliber is it in? he looks like he is having a ball for sure

--------------------

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2015 08:31 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool stuff Cross!

I gotta hand it to your son, he is "doing it" while he can.

Once upon a time, I thought somewhere along the line, I would have the chance to hunt animals like sheep, moose, etc... even though I didn't have any groundwork laid to make it happen. Just figured it would come together at some point.

Now I pretty much realize it ain't gonna happen unless I hit it in the lotto.

Good on him for doing what many just talk about.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2015 11:10 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Trapper, it is a 6x47 lapua.

Lonny, He was originally going into the army after high school, but they didn't offer the contract he wanted at the last minute. He then thought he would enroll in the local college because he didn't know what he wanted to do. I talked him out of that and he came up with the guide idea. Like you, I told him do it now, or he probably never will. Its been an education for sure.....he doesn't send me any pics of the pita hunters he has to guide, and he has had a few....lol

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2015 11:38 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably just me, a dense senior citizen, but what is this?

quote:
pita hunters he has to guide,
I seriously do not have a clue as to what a "pita hunter" is? Or possibly a typo?

As to relating, let me tell you, I sure as hell can relate! Not knowing what I wanted to do, other than begin college in the fall, somewhere, somehow, without any resources; I opted for the Army at 17 years old. There was three wasted years. When discharged, I still couldn't buy a beer.

While I believe everybody can gain from a military experience, it can be done in six months, as with National Guard or Army Reserve.

Anyway, what's a pita? I always thought it was a type of flat bread?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2015 12:33 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
pita= pain in the ass

As to the military, i understand what you are saying Lb, but its a different deal these days, or at least it can be. My son in law (yep busy summer...daughter got married in July) joined the army over 4 years ago and went SF.....when his four years were up, he was offered a signing bonus just shy of 6 figures. Of course, when you look at the four years of medical and language classes they provided him, the signing bonus was cheap compaired to starting over with someone else.

--------------------

trapper2
Member # 3651

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2015 05:47 AM      Profile for trapper2           Edit/Delete Post 
how you like the 6x47? been talking to mike about going back with a 22x47, going to have to rebarrel mine this winter some time

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2015 10:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Geordie, you may be right, since there is an all volunteer force and they let girls take the Ranger proficiency tests, (gag me with a spoon!) And not for the good of the service, I might add.

Anyway, The Army has not changed, neither has any other branch, excepting the Air Force, of course. If you have never served, you may not understand what I am talking about, but the basic culture of the Army is no different now than it was when I was separated, in the sixties. Of course, that was before the politicians had not managed to lose a war, something we would have never accepted.

Back in the brown boot Army, you could pretty much write your own ticket as an RA. (Regular Army) Different service number from the drafted US, or NG.

The only time I ever had my own room, as opposed to a barracks, was when I was deployed TDY at the BOQ Eglin AFB. That was nice accommodations, if you could forget the extreme seriousness of the situation, ie: invading Cuba.

So, if the Army has changed, it is not for the better, especially having Gays and girls with you in the same foxhole. But I digress.

Just to be clear, there is not a female alive that is actually qualified to be in ANY Infantry outfit, except maybe as Platoon Leader where she doesn't actually have to DO anything strenuous.

(just kidding)

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

CrossJ
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2015 07:26 PM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Lb.....pretty much agree with everything you said.

Trapper, I really like everything about the 6x47 except the barrel life. I have no experience with the 22x47, but I would have a hard time giving up my 22-250AI for a 22x47lapua.

--------------------

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2015 04:40 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the pics, Geordie! Heck, I'll live vicariously too!!!

Send Chase my regards, he sure has growed up since we met! Tell him he's a "lucky bastid" to be doin' what he's doin', although the pics show that he already knows it... [Wink]

livin' the dream!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2015 08:37 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Great story and great pictures! Living the dream!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters