The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Interesting few days coming up...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Interesting few days coming up...
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2015 08:08 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Weather man seems to be a bit wound up tonight. Booger and me have an interesting Wednesday ahead of us if they're right. Big front moving in from the NW. By Wednesday afternoon, supposed to be blizzards in western Kansas, severe t-storms with tornadoes in eastern Kansas into Missouri, and 55-60 mph winds coming with it. Hoping it'll blow all the leaves out of my yard and down the street to my neighbors without taking my roof or garage. LOL. Guess I won't be calling Wednesday, huh?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2015 05:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Puss!

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2015 06:53 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Was going to use my day off from work tomorrow to do some calling, but 50-60 mph winds are not my idea of a good time!

Soooo, my wife suggested that I scrape the popcorn texture off our garage ceiling in anticipation of mudding, taping and re-painting...more good times! [Roll Eyes]

[ November 10, 2015, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2015 07:24 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
same storm will be just getting wound up here as it moves your way. Only going to have gusts to 45 here, with 3" - 6" of snow. I have to work, so let it snow, let it snow, let it blow and snow. I'll get out after'em Thursday when my friends arrive. Who knows, might find enough to fill the Tacoma one more time. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2015 09:08 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Scraping popcorn texture isn't hard work just a filthy paint in the butt. Not trying to tell you something you might already know. I have done it many times and as recently as last week. Arms do get tired working over head. I always start with the scraper that looks like a bent flat, garden hoe, and do a section to knock off the big chunks with one pass of the scraper. Then I do it again off a ladder with a drywall knife.

A large ceiling looks pretty intimidating at first but the work goes fast.....safety glasses and dust masks are a must!! Good luck!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2015 05:54 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Loco,
My wife was on the rolling scaffolding, and I was on the stepladder.

House was built in '79, and all they did after they taped the joints and nail holes was spray a thin coat of texture. We got half the job done yesterday, but it is nasty work for sure!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2015 08:26 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Loco; Ive got a whole house I want to get rid of that ass ugly popcorn ceiling, I was under the idea you had to lightly wet it first before scraping?, sounds like your doing it dry, any up or downside to either way?
Posts: 1630 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2015 11:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I will share what I know. First of all, there are many people that have a strong dislike of acoustic ceilings. I don't understand it, and I don't have the strong dislike, either.

But, this house had it when we moved in, and for a few years, both the wife and I were smokers and there was some discoloration, therefore....

We called somebody that is set up to do it. They tape clear plastic on the walls, up high and scrape everything of the old material, vacuum it up and blow the new stuff in one room at a time. It was quick and efficient and I don't remember how much except that it was surprisingly reasonable.

Of course, the scraping is "free" as is the disposal, because you are paying for more of it installed. In the case of some of you guys that just want to get rid of it and repaint the ceiling, I suppose my experience is not much help, is it?

Then again, I still don't understand the strong dislike, unless it might be a crappy installation? Unless you get all that stuff scattered on the floor from your pillow fights, and role playing?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: if a company charges to replace and install acoustic, seems like they would be willing to remove acoustic without reapplying it? In other words, find someone that installs acoustic and you have somebody willing and able to get rid of that"ugly popcorn". That's a big tipoff. If you say "acoustic" it does not imply the negativity such as those of you that hate it, and talk about "that ugly popcorn". lol [Smile]

[ November 12, 2015, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2015 01:19 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Vic,
That is a good way to do it...the only caveat is that there is a fine line between using enough water to wet the texture, but NOT the underlying sheetrock.

We did this to our basement ceiling during our remodel, and while it cut down on the dust, it was like walking in a plowed field after a rain...the damn texture built up on your shoes like mud!

We used a yard sprayer with water and would wet a 3'X4' section at a time.

The stuff in our garage was so thin that the dry scraping is working good...just damn messy!

I would get a scraper that just has a dull edge, not real sharp so as to not dig into the sheetrock. We are using weed goosers, (don't know what they are called elsewhere), that are about 6" wide.

We taped off the walls just under the ceiling and laid down a plastic throw to catch all of the crap.

You can't get 100% of it, but it comes darn close.

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2015 06:22 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
this next storm looks much more interesting. Predicting 8" - 14" with gusts to 45 mph. Going to make that last storm look like child's play if this one pans out.

--------------------

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2015 07:36 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Had a nice rain last night. Blowing but mild today. Supposed to be windy again tomorrow with rain, and breezy but dry Wednesday. Cold bringing up the rear for Thursday going forward. On leave this week, sitting at home for two days. You can keep the snow, TR. Not ready for that yet.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2015 09:33 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I ain't ready for it either lance, at least not anything over about 4". I used to like it, but not so much any more.

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2015 11:21 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
How'd you fare on the rain last night, TR? New record for Kansas, most tornadoes on a single day in November. I think they posted warnings for tornadoes in 11 counties last evening. It had weakened before it got to me, but we still got a good light show, some thunder and an inch-plus of rain. Hoping for a day or two of wind now to dry the top out so I can get around Thursday.

Had to laugh this morning. Only in the Plains states do you have to hurry to clean up the mess left by the tornadoes Monday night before all your shit gets covered up by snow from the blizzard Tuesday.

[ November 17, 2015, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2015 12:04 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, you are more or less a weather junkie, ain't ya? Kansas will always be 'nader country, and it's in Technicolor! Loved the movie!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2015 03:40 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many inches of snow we ended up with, but we had blizzard conditions for a full 16 hours. Got a cover of snow every where, except where the wind wouldn't let the snow settle. Had a snow day at work, so got all plowed out today.
 -

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2015 05:52 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Love the view from your house, TR! That is awesome!

--------------------

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2015 06:05 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
20 inches in Colby, KS. Sorry to say it, TR, but that sucks. LOL Too damned early.

[ November 18, 2015, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2015 08:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Live with it, Lance! Besides, drought's over, ain't it?

For many years, we could always count on the first snowstorm of the season in northeastern California to roll in just about the second week in October. So, of course, F&G changed deer seasons when they figured it out. But, it was exciting, for a while!

Anyway, I've only stepped foot in Kansas once, but out here closer to the left coast, the mountains play a significant role in forcing those snow clouds to dump what they got. They say Kansas is flat, right?

All I remember about Wyoming is 14' drifts and lots of wind in the less mountainous areas. You know the drill; clear skies, but the snow is falling sideways.

Snap quiz: do you guys know how to drive at night in a blizzard? One little trick makes all the difference.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2015 09:33 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Focus your attention off the right front fender & concentrate on maintaining a consistent distance from the edge of the roadway. That's what I do, anyhoo..

Guys, I'm jealous, send that snow this way! Nothing I love more than being crippled by a huge snowstorm. It forces life around here to 'slow down'. If only for a little while...

Been so stinkin' warm here for the last few months. I'm all fattened & furred up for winter...bring on the cold, already!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2015 02:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Fail, Fred!

It's amazing! Just turn on your interior dome lights! Bingo! Impossible to describe, and illogical as hell, but it works like a charm.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted November 19, 2015 07:17 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I upgraded all my truck's interior lights to blue LEDs, specifically for use when night driving.
When its snowing real heavy at night, I actually turn my HID headlamps OFF, and drive as described above, using only the (low mounted) yellow HID fog lamps for illumination...

Lights mounted up high will reflect off the snowflakes, causing a blinding effect. I reckon that increasing the brightness INSIDE the vehicle via dome lights would serve to counteract & balance out that phenomenon?

All I know is, I drive ALOT at night and very often in the snow. Best way to drive in a blizzard at night is NOT TO DRIVE at all! I worry more about some other idiot plowing into me, than I do losing control of my own vehicle. I've found it more prudent to wait a storm out, than risk being a traffic statistic...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters