The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » old bldgs

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: old bldgs
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2015 02:35 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I got a break from working in hospitals, clinics, and science labs for a little while. Lately I have been working on an old building in St. Louis city called the Arcade. It was originally built around 1906.

Well some rich people decided to fix 'er up. The bottom 3 floors are going to be part of Webster university, the rest of the 19 floors are lofts and apartments. I believe the 2 bedroom apartments are renting for about $2400 per month. There is a penthouse going for over 3K per month.

For some reason I am fascinated with this place. There is tons of Marble everywhere. Hallways, rooms, even the stairwells. I had to do a stairwell pressurization test with the city inspectors Friday and notice the treads and sidewalls are marble up to the 19th floor.

At the entrance are some hand carved/chiseled pieces of men holding up the place. Anyways here is are some pictures. BTW that is a million dollar ceiling shown in the main lobby. Sadly, a plumber forgot to glue a PVC pipe on the 3rd floor and now there is an estimated $500,000 water damage to the ceiling and building. Someones got a case of red-ass over this I am sure.

-

Plus a really big McDonalds in the background [Smile]

-  -

this is the old post office across the street. Someone bought and sold it on the same day actually a matter of hours and made several million off it. was a bit of controversy over this a while back.

-

-

I am hoping they do more to this apartment. It doesn't look worth $2400 per month to me.

-  -

[ October 24, 2015, 06:55 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2015 03:11 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
the last pics

-  -  -
 -

-

-

-

-

[ October 24, 2015, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2015 05:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really interesting, Dan.

You know, the vaulting is exactly like a European Cathedral.

Everybody has their preferences, but to me, the choice of a dirty white marble was unfortunate. It's never going to look spic and span.

I drove by that arch very early A.M. once and experienced the worst storm ever. The truck was shaking, way too dangerous to drive. When it let up, I could see many cars had parked under a bridge. Wish I had seen it, would have been a lot safer than the exposed shoulder where I parked. I will stay the hell out of St Louis, thank you!

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: sudden thought: where are you ever going to find craftsmen like that, again. Has to be a lost skill?

[ October 25, 2015, 05:09 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2015 09:13 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was talking to some of the guys doing the refinish/polishing the marble. They informed me of all the radius arches compared to the squared off types. Not counting the terracotta. Lost art for sure. Back in the early 1900's there were a bunch of European craftsmen who did this work, back when St, Louis was a thriving city with a thriving business district. Then the democrats took over.....

Funny thing, back then the city wanted no part of the county. They thought of st. Louis county people as a bunch of hillbillys. Now the City wants us to join with them. (Pay all there bills and support them) The county people want no part of that shithole. High crime, higher taxes, crappy noncredited schools, seriously currupt politicians, and I believe there are only a couple cities in the entire USA with less alderman than ST.L city. They have a population of about 200,000 now. The city cops don't even want to live there. My best friend quit SLPD, and a couple of my cousins left the city now that the PD doesn't force them to live there anymore.

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters