The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Jim Dougherty

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Jim Dougherty
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2015 03:38 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw on another site (Trad Gang ) that Jim Dougherty recently passed away. Cancer got him at 78.
The guy was a legend in both archery and the early days of predator calling. I always enjoyed his style of writing and his book Varmint Hunters Digest is still a good read.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2015 05:06 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Very sad indeed.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2015 06:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know? That's too bad. He was indeed, one of the early predator writers. He used to enter the AZ-CA hunts back in the sixties, I remember an article (Gun World) he wrote about cruising the Colorado River in one of those contests, armed with a shotgun, no less. I don't think he was very serious or competitive, which is fine. I always thought wearing a cowboy hat on a coyote hunt was not very serious? I could be wrong? R.I.P.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31466 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2015 10:25 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
To my knowledge Dougherty was the founder of the CVCA. Except for a daytime only hunt in the Owens where he didn't get to participate because of a vehicle accident he only attended the River hunts with the Arizona club. His purpose for attending those hunts was to write articles about them.

Dougherty's articles in Gun World are what got me interested in learning to call. Reading his articles and meeting him in person you quickly found out that he was an entirely different person in real life. I often hunted with people who had hunted with him but never hunted with him myself.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Grizz
Member # 4626

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2015 07:21 PM      Profile for Grizz           Edit/Delete Post 
Got to meet Mr. Dougherty in the 1980's. One year he came to the Shooing Hunting Sports Fair held in Norco Ca every year. The CVCA would put up a large booth with displays and hold a judged calling contest. Remember those times Leonard? Dougherty treated me like he knew me forever a very gracious man

--------------------
I don't hunt with the pack.

Posts: 95 | From: So Cal | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2015 07:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I guess you are correct, his motivation in attending was to document and write about the hunts held on the CA side between CA and AZ. As far as I know, CA never lost one of those dual hunts which is why AZ lost interest.

If he was one of the founders of CVCA, I didn't know that? Actually, I kinda doubt it? Kitteridge might have been involved, maybe?

But, yes, his reports in Gun World were widely read and much anticipated, for those that were not able to attend.

He wrote about Lyle Brookover and Rich McKovich taking second place with 10 coyotes in the trunk of their Volkswagen. I have hunted with Rich and Lyle. In fact I bought Lyle's '74 Dodge Truck. I think the year was 1968 or '69? And, that may have been the last dual hunt?

Sam Dudley won once, I believe turning in 25 coyotes, taken just outside Sells, at the city dump, in case you are wondering?

Throughout the 70's and 80's, most of our state hunts, it took more like 40 animals to win. Best I ever did was Second Place;
[Frown] But, we tried!

Those were the days.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31466 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted September 27, 2015 09:24 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
The first river hunt I attended was won by Sam Dudley with 8 coyotes. I forget the year but I think Dougherty wrote it up in his predator hunting book. I have a copy around here somewhere.

I remember the night before the hunt we were drinking with Bill Dudley in a bar in Needles. When the hunt started the next morning Bill didn't show up. Sam was visibly upset.

Some guys really drove some distance on that hunt. Our club president went down to Mexico. I believe Dougherty and Ron Holdstock floated the river but didn't do all that well because the water level was low. My partners and I drove to Utah. I think we got a couple of bobcats and a couple of coyotes. We didn't check in.

I liked the river hunts because of the Arizona guys. They had some real characters that were a lot of fun to be around. One of them saw the hatches on a couple of California rigs and decided to cut a hole in the top of his camper shell. Problem was there was no support and the entire shell just collapsed. Oh, well.

Dougherty's partner, Ron Holdstock, was a pretty decent guy and a good caller. He seldom attended the monthly meetings. Holdstock had a little sporting goods store in Pasadena and made a nifty portable light for calling. I bought one from him for $35 and used it a bunch. I wish I still had it.

Holdstock sold the rifle to Robert Stack that Stack used to kill the elephant on the old American Sportsman show.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters