The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Fall Colors Are The BEST!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fall Colors Are The BEST!
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2015 05:32 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been around much lately. Too busy with work, life, and sneaking in a fishing trip here and there. While I have been out calling a time or two, I'm having a streak of bad luck. I'm seeing coyotes, I just haven't been able to get a bullet into any of them for various reasons. Sooner or later though, their luck will run out and mine will improve. In the mean time the Fishing God's have been pretty decent to me. So without further delay, here's some fall colors for you boys.

Fishing-wise if there is anything more fun than fishing a high mountain creek for native West Slope Cutthroat I don't know what it is. Their spawning colors are absolutely beautiful!
 -

The only thing that might supersede a West Slope Cutthroat is a larger than normal brooke trout all spawned out in it's vibrant fall colors. A friend and I really got into to some fantastic brooke trout fishing over the weekend on a small, off the grid pond, on Forest Service land. Both of us had to swear our lives to secrecy on its location, but it's worth it.
 -

Last night after work I had the rare occasion to not have a hundred things demanding my time and attention. So I decided it was time to slip into my favorite TOP SECRET fishing hole after work. It's one of my favorite places to fish, but due to an unusually hot summer I haven't fished it for months. It's been a little cooler the past couple weeks so I decided to give it a try. I like the place because the odds of catching a decent sized rainbow or brown trout is pretty good. It took me nearly 3 hours but I was finally able to convince one trout to bite on what I had to offer. There is a reason big trout get big, and it's not because they readily bite a hook. Anyway, sometimes one is enough if it's one like this. I only had him out of the water long enough for a photo and back into the water he went. Perhaps we will meet again someday. He might even be a little bigger the next time around. [Smile]
 -

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2015 06:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
YOU SUCK!

No, really, you are to be envied. Damn nice fish, buddy!

Now, it's September and I need to get out and kill something.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2015 07:33 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice....!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2015 07:47 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome, Troy!

What were you catching them on?

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2015 09:07 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Booger each fish was different. I used salmon eggs for the cutthroat, marabou jigs for the brookies, and a dry fly for the rainbow.
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2015 09:33 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Another dumb question, Troy...bear with me...do you use a casting bubble with the fly?

I have tried that on some Colorado streams with limited success.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted September 23, 2015 10:42 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I have more luck using a casting bubble on lakes and ponds than on streams. It is effective and does work. These days however; I'm trying really hard to use my flyrod when using flies. The biggest problem I have is I love to use jigs to fish and usually my spinning rod wins out. Jigs just work so stinky well it's hard to try much else. This year I've caught trout, bass, walleye, and perch all on jigs. They just get'r done.
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2015 04:58 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Gorgeous fish!!!
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted September 24, 2015 06:05 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with ursus, whatever works. But bubbles are the cat's ass on lakes and impoundments. I like the ones you can, "match the hatch" with a stopper that you can add a little water, hence weight, for longer casts.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

ursus21
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2015 07:24 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of bubbles and flies here's a method I used to use when I lived in Southern Utah. There was a lake high up in the mountains above Parowan Utah that was full of brooke trout. However, not a lot of guys caught very many. I used to take my bubble and fill it until it was 3/4's full. Then tie on a small pheasant neck nymph. I would then cast out and drag it back slowly across the bottom of the lake. I pretty much caught my limit and then some each time I went. I never keep trout so catching over the limit is not an issue. Man, I kind'a miss that lake and often wonder if it still holds nice brookies like I used to catch there 20 years ago.

[ September 24, 2015, 07:26 AM: Message edited by: ursus21 ]

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2015 10:37 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with LB You SUCK!
You should not be allowed to post pictures like when I'm stuck on a mountain top just outside of suburbia looking at smoke and smog and to many stupid people. lol
Those are some nice looking fish. LOL
Great job.

[ September 24, 2015, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: earthwalker ]

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2015 01:31 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It could be worse, Earth Gal.........You could be down in suburbia looking up at the mountain.

[Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2015 01:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I'm the same way. I catch trout, but never found them to be decent table fare. A million (dangerous) little bones.

And, the lunkers are worse! For sure, throw them back. Steelhead, various salmon, different story. Any bass is better eating, in my opinion.

Those little stunted rainbows you find in the Sierra's @7,000/8,000 feet. Nice firm meat. Worthwhile.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2015 03:47 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli, you're so right.
It's just been a long summer and I can see the end to the tunnel even though the ending comes with hip surgery.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2015 05:48 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Smoke & smog and too many stupid people..Lol

Pray for me. That might be changing ? Good luck on the hip surgery.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 25, 2015 08:13 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Just make sure that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train !!!!

Good luck & stay strong.

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2015 07:53 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't a train (I hope) its the sheading of a job for the freedom of the winter month hunting and trapping. Or will be when I get back on my feet.

Thanks for the good thoughts.
I hope all of you have a great winter.

--------------------

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted September 26, 2015 08:57 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
To be envied for sure
Good Luck earthwalker thoughts and prayers.

[ September 26, 2015, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Paul Melching ]

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters