The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » The Plague ..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Plague ..
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2015 10:31 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
...is in the news. Anybody worried about it? Seems to be concentrated here in the west.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2015 02:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hear about plague from time to time along both sides of the Colorado river California and Arizona. There are not a whole lot of squirrels, at least I have not seen big concentrations, which is what you would expect to contribute to the problem?

Also Hanta Virus, rodent droppings, inhalation, different from the fleas that cause plague.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2015 08:44 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not paranoid about it, but I wear hand condoms (latex gloves) when skinning for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that my hands don't smell like coyote afterwards.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted September 01, 2015 09:46 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I am like Koko. My vet told me that tularemia, (sp?), could be passed from coyote blood to humans through cracked skin. Apparently, they pick it up from infected rabbits.

We are frequent visitors to Colorado, and if you head out on West Colfax in Denver, you see the side of the road littered with prairie poodle carcasses. Almost every vacant lot in Denver has prairie dogs on them, at least the ones I have seen. Always made me wonder what the ones died from as they didn't look they had been hit by cars.

I have a buddy from Nebraska that used to work for USDA in the animal control division. He said he worked with guys from Colorado on testing some of the sage rats and they had tested positive for the plague in the Denver area several years ago.

Never heard of it here in Kansas, though.

[ September 01, 2015, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters