The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Sittin' around a smokey campfire....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sittin' around a smokey campfire....
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2015 02:55 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Is what it has been like the last couple weeks in this part of the world.

Fires are burning on 3 sides of us and all within 30 miles or closer.

Visibility is really only reasonably clear to about 75 yards and than it gets distorted. After about 200 almost nothing is visible.

I'm ready for some rain.

Pic from about 10:00 AM today looking straight east from our house.

-

Same spot but about six weeks ago...

-

[ August 23, 2015, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2015 03:09 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Shit man, that ain't good!!!
Hope ya get a good soakin', Lonny! And really hope ya stay out of harm's way!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2015 04:25 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
That can't be good for you , stay safe.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2015 04:43 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Nasty stuff. It's been pretty smoky here for a month now, getting worse all the time. Not as bad as you have it, but pretty bad. Came home after being away from it for a day and noticed that not only outside, but could smell the smoke inside my house.

Salt Lake Valley is just a big natural collector. Smoke from fires all over the west ends up lingering here. And of course, air pollution in the winter.

I hate the air here... If I were ever to move, which is unlikely, but if I could, I would and air pollution would be one of my biggest reasons for getting the hell out of here.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2015 05:35 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, hoping the best for everyone up there in harms way. Like Dave, it's also been smoky/hazy here for several weeks. Looking forward to clear skies again, and hopefully sooner than later.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2015 07:38 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Heck that's clear!
I'm sitting right in the middle/thick of it. Go up higher and it clears or go down a couple thousand feet and you can see ten miles or so.
I'm down to 1 mile or so.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2015 10:17 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah...thats cray cray.
Mark

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2015 01:05 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Sitting in the middle of this crap has finally gotten to me.
Sore throat and heavy chest feeling and feeling like crap.
Just hoping I get my 2 days off this week.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2015 05:03 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never paid attention to the air quality index until the past few days. We've been over 300 for the AQI for several days, which is considered "Hazardous"

Anything between 200-300 is considered "Very Unhealthy".

Could kinda see the sun just now. An orange orb that you didn't even need to squint to look at. It has felt like evening or early morning for the past few days simply because you can't see the sun.

Well, I guess on the bright side, we don't have floods, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, plagues of weird bugs, etc.. to deal with.

[ August 24, 2015, 05:03 PM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2015 06:01 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
That dusty old wheat field is looking like a blessing to me. If, by chance, that fire gets near you, light a back fire in that stubble and put as much bare dirt between you and it as you can. In high school, my dad's FD went on stand by when a neighboring county had a wind-started range fire. It started in the morning around nine and by 9 pm had consumed an area 10x12 miles. Got me to thinking how lucky we are to be surrounded by a patchwork quilt of different farm uses, standing row crops, wheat stubble, winter wheat, bare ground sitting fallow. We can get a good fire going, but there's always something to stop it - usually an open disked field. Also help to have a line of tractors pulling discs and plows, spanning a half-mile wide front line, breaking sod to stop or redirect a range fire.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 25, 2015 05:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Los Angeles County has leased Canadian "Super Scoopers".

(FWIW)

Don't get much cooler than that!

<yawn>

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters