The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Counting coup (neat pic...)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Counting coup (neat pic...)
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2015 06:01 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Made a few stands this morning, called in a bunch of coyotes. Got a few pictures (counted coup). I think this one turned out pretty neat.

-

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2015 08:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good one, Dave!

I had one like that three or four years ago. Hung one of those little M1 Minaska's on a mesquite branch. Gray fox climbed the tree and walked out on the branch, sniffed it and jumped down.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31416 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2015 08:23 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Making a calendar for FoxPro ??

[Smile]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7563 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2015 04:14 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a great picture. You need to send it to FP and let them use it. I had an M-1, like LB was saying, that I had set out on a bean stubble field. Had wrapped the stand up and was glassing the edges when I heard a "click" sound. I looked past the binos and damned if a mangy coyote had snuck in from behind me and had my caller in its mouth, walking away with it, still squealing. I didn't shoot him for fear of missing the worthless coyote and hitting the $350 caller, so I just yelled at him. He dropped the caller and took off running. LOL

Yep, that's a fine pic right there.

Impressed, as well, as few people know what counting coup is.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2015 05:37 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Couple more of him. He took two jumps at it.

-

-

Have seen coyotes bite the caller quite a few times. Even got it on video, twice, back in the day. Best one I've seen was just last winter, old female bit it and knocked it out of the sage brush then kept snapping it, five or six times, before she started to run away. I made a lucky shot and rolled her up. Never had one actually try to carry it off though!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2015 06:38 PM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I never worried about hitting the call. I have a CS24 full of BB holes to prove it. Still works!
Awesome pictures Dave!

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 01, 2015 07:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have probably mentioned this before, but so what?

We set up a ways off of a natural chute and naturally, were watching every approach except down the middle, which we couldn't see the bottom anyway.

So, I'm on one side and Pat's on the other. suddenly he sees a nose right in the speaker, and I should have mentioned, the speaker was in the belly of a stuffed rabbit.

So Pat stands up and sends a load of Federal 3" BB's into the coyote. And< I still couldn't see him.

But the coyote fell back, then got up and grabbed the rabbit and took off. This was in the old days, that speaker was hardwired to a cassette player and at the end of the rope, it yanked the bunny out of his mouth. And, a couple dummies let him run off, never saw him again, no more shots fired.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2015 05:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
American Indian culture was actually very unique, in some respects. There are many examples of half starved, half naked people in the jungle and other places where they didn't have the luxury our native tribes had, plenty of time to create elaborate decorations, etc.

And, I have not heard of other cultures with the intricate sign language and the ability to communicate with people from hundreds of miles away, along with certain attitudes.

Such as "counting coup". Killing an enemy (apparently) was a fairly big deal. But, just touching him with a hand or a special stick intended for nothing more than touching, (or whacking) an opponent and getting away cleanly, that was a BFD. Especially if done in front of witnesses.

I dabbled in anthropology off and on, took a few courses, etc. Never heard of anything similar, in other remote tribes. I mean, could be, but I never heard about it? The logic of "counting coup" kind of escapes me?

Like "POTLATCH", but different. And, if you are unfamiliar with Potlatch, google it, it's a very weird, contrary thing that is also unique to Northwest Pacific Coast Indians. Give away all your shit so it makes you look more important? Right?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2015 06:36 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Counting coup makes a lot of sense, to me?

Warrior society, being regarded as a Great Warrior is the ultimate status.

To kill an enemy is difficult, shows considerable warrior skill. But to put yourself and your enemy in a position where you can actually touch him - the underlying assumption being that you dominated him to such an extent that the killing part would have been easy - then show the brass balls to NOT kill him and get away, without him killing YOU.

I think counting coup is just a way of taking it to the next level and showing you were a bad ass among bad asses. A way to show exceptional skills and bravery and raise your status in a warrior society above the garden variety. A good way to get laid, I bet! And, let's face it, getting pussy has been the primary motivating factor for young men as long as young men have existed.

The picture taking thing is like that, for me (without the getting laid part...). Getting a good picture of a coyote is way more challenging and difficult than just killing one. Makes killing them seem almost too easy.

When I get on a roll with calling them in and getting good pictures, I get to feeling like I just might be a coyote killing son of a bitch. More so than I do when I am actually killing them?

- DAA

--------------------

Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2015 08:09 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Awsome pics!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2015 08:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you should feel that way. I never bothered with cameras, and that was unfortunate. But, I fully acknowledge that the outstanding photos of coyotes being coyotes, is a very difficult challenge. I don't even know if I could do it? Unless I was in a Park or somewhere there was no hunting and no guns. Otherwise, I just kinda want to kill them, although God knows, I have got my share, here and there.

No, you have a talent, much like Troy. It's not everybody that can take those pictures, in fact, it's a rare talent, of which you have many.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 02, 2015 12:43 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
One more of the same coyote...

-

And a different one, from a different stand earlier the same morning.

-

- DAA

--------------------

TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2015 06:45 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
gotta hand it to ya Dave, you make me want to open your posts every single time just to see what ya shot on film. Ya never let me down. Good stuff as usual.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2015 09:07 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
OUT-friggin'-STANDING!
Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted August 03, 2015 10:34 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Amazing, Dave, simply amazing!!

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted August 04, 2015 10:49 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Exceptionally cool!
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2015 01:53 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Love it!
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eddie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4324

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2015 03:20 AM      Profile for Eddie   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
David you have a eye and a way with a camera that very few have, you are truly blessed with the gift. Stay after them!
Posts: 275 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2015 03:26 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the professor that taught us about counting coup, the concept works both ways. On one hand, the dominant warrior of the two is able to get close enough to touch (without killing) his enemy. At the same time, the subordinate of the two gets touched and his enemy is then able to escape. The victor goes home to a hero's welcome and all that goes with it. The vanquished is dishonored so grievously that he was often not allowed to return home due to the dishonor he brought upon his clan. In many native cultures where counting coup was recognized, the one thing that was worse than death was being humiliated and dishonored. In the movie "Dances with Wolves", Costner's character is left behind with the old men, women and children while the able bodied men/ warriors go out on a raiding party. an enemy Pawnee warrior approaches their encampment and is sighted by one of the people there. he is quickly run down by the villagers and encircled in the shallow water of the nearby river where all those left behind begin flailing him with branches, stick, and anything they could get hold of. To the knowledgeable, this was a clear example of counting coup and it is easy to embrace the joy and excitement exhibited by the villagers afterwards. I've often used this term when we have a coyote get in close and escape. I did my job. Did I need to kill it to have felt successful? Would have been better, but I was there to call them, not just kill them. If they responded to the call, I did what I set out to do.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
jimanaz
2nd Place RICHARD FARNSWORTH LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3689

Icon 1 posted August 07, 2015 03:52 PM      Profile for jimanaz           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running out of adjectives to describe your pictures....Oh wait, here's something I haven't used yet. Dave, your pictures are fucking badass!!!!

Time for new wallpaper.

Posts: 940 | From: AZ | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2015 04:56 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Jim!

Went out again and tried another spot yesterday morning. Called in five coyotes. Picture taking gods weren't smiling though, didn't get much worth keeping. This was probably the best one.

-

-

- DAA

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters