The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Do you like Rock and Roll from the 50s, 60s, and 70s? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Do you like Rock and Roll from the 50s, 60s, and 70s?
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2015 08:29 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Never been there. I played in a couple of bands at POP in the summer of 1963, I think. Battle of the bands stuff. My favorite times were playing folk and bluegrass. Met a lot of nice people back then and had a lot of fun.

I actually got started in San Francisco at a coffee house named The Blue Unicorn on Hayes St about a block from my apartment. There were places you could play a set and get to eat.

I went to West Covina High. Lots of talented people came out of that school. John Rodby and Jennifer Warnes for a couple. Rodby became Dinah Shore's band leader.

Damn, I'm old.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted August 16, 2015 05:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
El Monte high school used to regularly beat up on West Covina. lol

There is much to like about San Fransisco, and quite a lot that's not so good. Particularly the Liberal politics. People don't realize that where I live, what's called the West End, (of San Bernardino County) and the Inland Empire, in general, is just as conservative as Orange County.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31329 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2015 05:49 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Before I moved to West Covina my family lived in temporary military quarters in the same wash that the CVCA had it's meetings in in Pasadena. We'd just gotten back to the states from living in Taiwan for a couple of years. I only went to West Covina for the last half of my senior year. Then I went up to Mt Sac for a while.

I had family in the Bay Area including some in SF. I had planned to attend USF but got caught up in working for a living which wasn't turning out so pretty good so I moved back to the LA area and would up living in Whittier and working for GTE.

I met a CVCA guy named Art Parra and he got me into calling and I joined the CVCA.

I've been a conservative all of my life yet didn't even know what the term meant when I was young. SF was an eye opener. Lots to like about the city but lots to dislike, too. My dad has a monument at The Presidio Millitary Cemetery and I like to go visit.

I call San Francisco Soddom By the Bay. It's changed a lot since the 50's and none of it for the good. We enjoy going to Grotto #9 and to the House of Prime Rib but our old haunts in Chinatown are gone. You can get a great Chinese meal there, still, if you know where to go. Having lived in China for a couple of years I like good Chinese food.

BTW....my sport was basketball and I did play at West Covina. As I recall the only team that could beat us was Covina High. Just bad attitude from the players at W Covina, IMO. But remember.....there's an age difference between us. I graduated in '62.

[ August 16, 2015, 05:54 AM: Message edited by: Moe ]

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2015 06:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You know what? El Monte class of 1960 is having our 55 year reunion in Temecula September 16th. Should be fun.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2015 03:57 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
I love music , from the Brandenburg Concertos to Bonnie Rait I love music. p.s. rap/hip hop is organized noise not music , most pop is crap as well.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2015 07:36 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
`organized noise`

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7511 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 13 posted August 19, 2015 10:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
....and that's giving too much credit.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters