The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Filson (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Filson
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2015 06:46 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Fred, you're forgiven.

Booger, you know, I have not been looking around but I remember from when I was in the Army, that I loved our wool uniform pants and shirts. I was told that they were standard uniform of the day in Korea, don't know for a fact, but we just wore them in the field, in winter, and covered with what we called "field pants" and "field jacket" or the excellent fishtail parka.

I don't know if that stuff is available surplus, from what I remember what was available, the last time I checked was small sizes. But, if a guy can find something that fits, I wouldn't hesitate to acquire US Army wool class A uniform. More than likely, used but serviceable?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31492 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Z
Knows what it's all about
Member # 303

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2015 09:22 AM      Profile for Z   Author's Homepage   Email Z         Edit/Delete Post 
Used to like the Filson "tin pants" for pheasant hunting in the old days. Won't wear a Filson wool vest because that is standard issue for many of the Montana game wardens who try to be too cool. I am used to hunting a lot colder weather than most of you guys. The coyote hunting really gets good when it is -15 to -25 with snow on the ground. They have to keep moving all day to keep up their caloric intake. Don't wear insulated boots until it gets to about 0 degrees. Once it gets below freezing I will wear my old Holofil 808 underwear that I have had since high school. It has an elastic waist band so it fits my new physique. I can sit out for 30 minutes at -25 with it as long as I have a foam pad between my butt and the snow. Been trying to find some but can't find it anymore. The crotch is ripped out form years of crossing fences. I can't stand the restriction of tight fitting long johns. I have thought about a pair of Merino long johns but I would have to buy them loose fitting. But since I moved to Utah it doesn't really get that cold here.
Posts: 51 | From: Bluffdale, UT | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2015 07:06 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Fred, I got home last night from a few days of wandering and the pants were there waiting. They look good - you're too kind!

Smokes incoming [Big Grin] .

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2015 08:48 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My pleasure, Dave!
Smokes weren't necessary, but I'll enjoy the heck outta them...THANKS!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chris S
"SPECIAL ACCOUNT" HM's Facebook page moderator & runs with scissors
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted July 30, 2015 05:11 PM      Profile for Chris S           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a couple Filson Tin Caps, one lined and another unlined and a regular wool baseball hat. All 3 made in the USA. I wear them all the time.
Posts: 534 | From: Oakland County, MI USA Earth | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted July 31, 2015 03:20 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Received, with gratitude!
Headed to the farm in a couple hours. Hope to light one up & enjoy while watching the Sun set over the field, this evening...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters