The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Insurance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Insurance
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 5 posted July 16, 2015 05:44 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I hate insurance as a friggin' con game. Seems you never win and somebody else always holds the cards.

However, my question this morning is specifically about firearms insurance.

I carry a $25,000 rider on my homeowners policy. It costs me $200 a year extra. I'm wondering if it's stupid, or too much or if there is some better way?

Of course, most of it is in a safe but a buddy kind of brought that into focus when his house was burned to the ground. Yes, they gave him two new safes but that warranty doesn't cover the firearms or the optics inside.

And that's another thing. Some firearms aren't worth what the optics are worth, and even a small fire of short duration can fry expensive optics and are those optics considered part of the "firearm", or no?

What do you think?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31276 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 16, 2015 06:42 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,
I used to have my Property and Casualty License here in Kansas, so I can give you my .02...

You want a rider that would identifies EACH firearm you want to insure with a value. I am pretty sure you need to have someone in the gun business give some sort of appraisal. That would mean the whole firearm...optics included.

This is the same if you are insuring anything of value that is out of the ordinary. My wife has her porcelian doll collection insured for example. A lot of people do the same with high dollar jewelry.

Your agent, (if he is worth a crap), should be able to lead you in the right direction!

[ July 16, 2015, 06:43 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters