The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » London and Normandy vacation pics... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: London and Normandy vacation pics...
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 10:22 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I know its about 3 months late, but I have just went through the 3,500 or so pics my wife took and ferreted out the ones I thought you might be interested in...here goes:

-

This is yours truly in Purdey and Sons in London...behind me is about $2,000,000 in O/U and double shotguns--some of the most beautiful I have seen. The double on the far right end is a 28", 28 gauge...only $262,000 US!

-

According to our guide, this was Ike's headquarters in London...located on Audley Street, just down the way from Purdeys.

[ July 02, 2015, 10:32 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 10:24 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Got it! Thanks, Lonny!

-

This is the Notre Dame Cathedral in St. Lo, France...new portion replaced after the war...you can see the old portions on either end. Cathedral built in the 1100's...my dad was hurt during the battle for St. Lo. 95% of the town was leveled during the last part of June and the first part of July, 1944.

[ July 02, 2015, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 10:41 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 

[ July 02, 2015, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 10:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody?

The two techies I can think of are Fred and Fur? Somebody should be able to help. That wouldn't include me, I am not Internet savvy.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 10:57 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
knockemdown helped me out sometime back with posting pics from photobucket.

So here's what worked for me.

Copy "Direct Link" selection.

Paste to your reply.

Now bracket your direct link with [IMG] and [/IMG]

So it should look something like this with no spaces:

[IMG] htp:/blahblahblahblah.jpg [/IMG]

Good luck

[ July 02, 2015, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: Lonny ]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 12:27 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Here we go!

-

This is looking east from the 2nd observation deck of the Eiffel Tower, about 550' off the ground. This is the staging area to take the elevator to the very top. I have an issue with heights, so needless to say, I was not going to go another 500+ feet in the air!

-

These are the cliffs at Point du Hoc, (pronounced 'Pwawn do Hoe'). Col. Rudder's Rangers were tasked with climbing the cliffs to take out the guns, (which ended up not being there), that were supposedly aimed at Utah and Omaha Beaches. The cliffs were pretty much vertical and about 100 to 120 feet high. 242 Rangers started the assault on June 6th, and on June 8th when the ground was finally taken, only about 90 were able to walk and wield a gun.

-

Memorial at Point du Hoc. This is directly on top of the German observation outlook. If you go to YouTube, you can see the speech Pres. Reagan gave on the 40th anniversary of the invasion in 1984. It was directly on top of this. The memorial depicts the daggers our Rangers used to climb the last several feet up the cliffs.

[ July 02, 2015, 01:00 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 12:36 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

This is one of the shell craters at Point du Hoc...70 years later, still 20' deep and 20' across. Caused by the guns from our Navy battleships.

-

Funky art on Omaha Beach, (can't understand the meaning...)

-

Reflection pool and memorial at the US cemetary at Omaha Beach.

-

Crosses in the cemetary. Cemetary is 180 acres, with over 9,600 soldiers buried there. Very humbling...the grass is so pretty it almost looks artificial.

-

This is a memorial about a mile from Utah Beach. It was dedicated to the Parachute Infantry Regiments...there is a quote on there from Maj. Dick Winters of the Band of Brothers fame.

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 12:49 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Utah Beach looking west over the ocean. This is as far as I went. Wind was blowing a steady 55 mph, 39 degrees and raining. I had sugar sand in my teeth and hair after that...was plain miserable.

-

Just outside of St. Marie Du Mont. If you have watched the Band of Brothers series, they staged the assault on the artillery guns at Brecourt Manor at a farm on the edge of this little burg. It is rumored that the guns that were supposed to be at Point du Hoc were moved to Brecourt Manor, as they were primarily trained on Utah Beach about 5 miles away.

-

Sculpture at the 101st Airborne Museum at St. Mere Eglise. It depicts two hands coming out of the ground and breaking chains and reaching for our paratroopers. It is called 'The Day They Came'...

-

The Catholic church at St. Mere Eglise. This is where John Steele, an 82nd Airborne Paratrooper got hung up on the steeple. You can see the parachute and dummy dressed like Mr. Steele hanging from the roof. This was highlighted in the movie 'The Longest Day'...he hung there for 2 hours and played dead until the Germans cut him down and captured him. He escaped 2 days later. If you do a Google search, you can find some pretty cool pics of the stained glass windows in the church. The main window at the altar shows the Virgin Mary and baby Jesus surrounded by two paratroopers floating down. St. Mere Eglise was the very first town liberated in the invasion.

[ July 02, 2015, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 12:57 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Last picture...this is a Ghurka soldier guarding the Regimental Barracks of the guards that are at Buckingham Palace. I guess they are mean little bastards...they have their own unit inside the military. Very fearless and similar to our Rangers and Delta boys.

Well, that is it! I just have a few observations that I don't think I shared. If you ever have a chance, do visit London. I am sure there are places you shouldn't go, but for the most part, it was clean, the food and beer were spectacular, and the people were friendly!

On the other hand, skip Paris! It was a sewer, the people were rude, and the place was simply filthy.

Normandy was very cool. We stayed in a little 'village', (around 13,000 people), of Bayeaux. It was untouched in the invasion as there were no Germans garrisoned there. It was centrally located, 5 miles from Omaha Beach, 15 miles to Utah Beach, and super easy to get around by a rental car. Easier than driving here in some places in Kansas.

Guess that does it! Enjoy!

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 01:18 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Totally cool !!
It's really hard to grasp the scope of what happened there. Serious shit.

And BTW; Happy belated birthday Chesty, wherever you are.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 04:45 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine, when visiting those memorials, you can feel that something big happened there.

Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 05:18 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, that was way cool. I really enjoyed the pic's, kinda felt like I was there.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the trip.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 05:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read a couple books on the subject. No doubt, it was worth doing, and worth remembering. I mentioned once that my old platoon leader was organizing a tour of Normandy and the various US cemeteries. Unfortunately, he died about six months before the trip was supposed to depart. But, I attended his funeral in Omaha. Jim Peterson was a good friend and the only one, (in C company 25th Sig.) who kept in touch for more than 40 years.

Booger, your trip was well worth the effort, I think you will always remember it.

Oh, by the way, I was last in Paris in 1989 and saw none of what you are talking about. I loved it. Walking around the "City of Lights" was very nonthreatening, even late at night. We screwed up and took the subway out of town to an ethnic neighborhood, did not even get off the platform, went right back to the city. It was scary.

The Eiffel (then, at least) was open, (at least) to around midnight and the view from the top was special. Hey, that first elevator is weird, goes up at an angle! Yes, the people are arrogant without any right to be. Yes, not particularly friendly.

At our hotel, I inquired at the front desk about Rive Goshe, and I know I'm not spelling it correctly. I got a blank look and a question; left bank of what?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: for what it's worth, my family history involves Normandy. My grandmother's maiden name was Normandin.

[ July 02, 2015, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2015 05:39 PM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
My dad fought in the Pacific but my uncle fought in Europe and was part of the invasion force in France.

I love history and I love those pictures. Thanks for posting.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 07:26 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't need a 28 gauge all that bad, but whenever I next go to Merry Olde England, I sure hope they take VISA? That's a steal!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 08:28 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool pictures thanks for sharing with us.
I would love to go to England and see the country and all the green.
But would go to the northern part of the country and stay away from London.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 09:08 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Back in about 2003 my wife and I flew to Egypt. We flew into London and then on to Cairo but on the way back we stopped over in London for 4 days. I wish we had more time. We did our own tour. The high point was the Tower of London. We did the Yeoman Warder tour and learned more in a couple of hours than we had in our lives up to that point. Truly an enjoyable day. I would recommend it to anyone.

We also did Westminster Abby. We got there late and only got halfway done and were coming home the next day.

We took the train out to a castle where Henry VIII lived most of the time. I can't remember the name of the place but it was interesting.

I would love to go back and spend a couple of months there. I would rent a home or flat if we did that.

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 09:33 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Moe,
The Tower of London was cool...we had a private tour and the guide took us around and gave us a good history lesson when we were there.

The Beefeaters looked just like they do on a bottle of gin...guess they get to be guards there after a long run of distinguished service in the army.

We stayed on the north side of Hyde Park, just down the street from Kensington Palace.

I would like to spend some time in the countryside and abhor cities, but something about London just wanted me to spend more time there.

I have some cool pics of the Churchill War Room. This is where Churchill spent the time during the Blitz and most of WWII. It is just like they left it in April of '45 when Germany surrendered. It is underneath the Treasury building.

I can post some pictures if I can find them.

The other cool place we visited was the Imperial War Museum. Great history and a pretty sombering display on the Holocaust.

We also ate lunch at a place called the Mayflower Tavern...history has it that this was the place the pilgrims set sail from as they began their journey to Plymouth Rock.

I am a country boy, but I would sure go back to London tomorrow!

LB--that 28 gauge Purdey was simply one of the most beautiful guns I have ever seen. They were the friendliest gun folks I have ever met. They even asked me if I wanted to handle it. I politely declined...they are the official gunmakers for the Queen, Prince Phillip, and Prince Charles.

They indicated their 'entry level' guns start at 35,000 pounds, ($56,000)...I am sure they would take a credit card! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 09:35 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm for a more abbreviated tour. Same reason I avoid coastal Oregon and Washington, the dreary weather. I'm a sunshine buff, and "A foggy day, in London town" is about as much as I can tolerate. Okay, maybe a fortnight, but that would be pushing it. That's as "local" speak as I am capable; "Fortnight". Does anybody know how long that is? If it's "four nights" why the spelling?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 09:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Booger, how in the hell can anybody justify $56,000 for a friggin' shotgun? Seems like I could have one made out of solid gold and not spend $56,000? I don't get it?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 10:04 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea...I would be afraid to carry the damn thing!

Guess it is a status thing. Whenever you see bonny Prince Charles with his Berber hunting clothes shooting driven grouse, he usually has a 12 ga. Purdey double in his hands!

I like nice shotguns, and have a nice Browning, but these guns are simply works of art!

The damn thing is that the guy I spoke with indicated that if you want a custom Purdey, it is a 2 year wait! Somebody is sure buying them!

[ July 03, 2015, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------

Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 11:58 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear about your most excellent trip Tim, great pic's ! Did you get a chance to visit Great Yarmouth? Several years ago I spent 3 weeks in merry ole England, mostly in the Great Yarmouth area. The people there were without a doubt the most friendly I've ever encountered while away from home. During WWII Yarmouth was the most heavily bombed area of the UK. It was also considered the most likely spot for hitlers planned invasion, that thankfully never happened. The people I met spoke openly about how they were forever greatfull that we saved their butts when we entered the war "as death was most certain fore they hadn't a plan to surrender".

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 12:42 PM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
PP,
No we did not, but I have told my wife we are going to go back and spend some time in the countryside. Great Yarmouth looks to be NE of London.

There is a kid who works at the bank with me that is from NW Scotland. The way he speaks of his home makes me want to go there immediately!

I think I would travel by train...there ain't no damn way I am going drive in a car where the steering wheel is on the wrong side and you drive on the opposite side of the road!

At least when we were in France, it was like driving on I-70 through Kansas!

--------------------

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 01:43 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Sage Advice;
Fortnight; 14 days.
No idea how they came up with that one but it sounds very pampas and I may start using it.

[Cool]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 03:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
See, that's exactly why we are paying you the big bucks!
(I did not know that?)

But, when they drive on the wrong side of the street and the steering wheel is located on the passenger's side, then it sounds perfect to call TWO WEEKS, "a fortnight". [Roll Eyes]

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: So Booger, which "shottie" did you end up with?

[ July 03, 2015, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters