The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » New PB..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New PB..
Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2015 09:11 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Its fishing time.. I got my new personal best this weekend in AZ! A nice 43 lb flathead. We caught others in the 20 and 30 lb range as well.. Used small carp and large bluegill. Crazy fun..

-

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2015 09:25 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy shit thats awsome!

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2015 10:01 AM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Catching large Flat Heads Rules! Around here, the waters are so high from all the recent rains it's been a "licking our chops" waiting for the rough water to calm down torture chamber ride.
Last Saturday one of the kids caught a huge snapping turtle while crappie fishing, the bastards head was the size of a large mans fist and the neck was forearm size.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Moe
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4494

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2015 10:17 AM      Profile for Moe           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

--------------------
I snatch kisses. And vice versa.

Posts: 593 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2015 10:34 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like fun right there!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2015 11:42 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go! Catching large flatheads on a rod and reel is definitely a challenge. I grew up eating channel cat and flathead—not as good as walleye and crappie, but my mom could make a boot heel taste good.

My dad was a fisherman supreme, and I think the biggest flathead he caught on a pole was about 30 pounds. In his younger days, he ran with a crowd of hand fisherman, (we called it ‘noodling’ here in Kansas). It is still illegal in all but one river in Kansas. They kept busy pulling out 30-50# flatheads out of the local river, mostly fueled by steely nerves and copious amounts of Old Charter…

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2015 01:27 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey fur. Is this basically night fishing, right?

Carp is cool, but where do you get them? I have a hunch bluegill would be illegal, for bait, here?

Where have I been? I thought the action on the river was chicken livers?

As a kid, in Minneesota, I probably caught a few thousand "Bullheads". Never ate one, too ugly. Considered a rough fish like carp, suckers, gar and sheepshead, and a rare dogfish, mostly in the Mississippi and tributaries. Sometimes we speared them but the bait of choice was very large nightcrawler. I was a sort of Huck Finn type, in those days.

We would go down to the golf course after dark when the sprinklers came on, armed with a flashlight and a coffee can. We could fill the can, no dirt, pure nightcrawler. Any left over we would bring home and toss on the lawn. Always heard a lot of talk about dough-balls for large carp but they would suck on those night-crawlers; the bite was almost undetectable. We sometimes gave them to Asian people, if they asked but this was more or less a civic duty, toss them up on the bank and let them die.

I don't know about now, but in those days, they had a real problem with rough fish getting into the lakes via the Mississippi and various creeks. I didn't care. Never was much of a fish eater, but love to fish. The carp and bullheads provided plenty of sport for a kid.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2015 06:40 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
That's cool, LB..

Yeah, this is mostly night fishing.. And being on my buddy's pontoon, it's luxury fishing! We drank a few beers and waited for the reels to start spinning!

Some folks don't know that flat head eat mostly live fish.. So their meat is absolutely delicious . We had some killer flatty tacos.

Bluegill and carp are legal. Bass , crappie, etc. are not.

My buddy cast netted for a couple of hours and we got premo carp. 8 to 10 inches is perfect.

We let them run with the line using a clicker. It's hililarious how we jump up when the clicker stars spinning.. We use circle hooks..

Good times..

[ June 15, 2015, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: Fur_n_Dirt ]

--------------------

Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2015 06:45 PM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's a lake!!

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 15, 2015 07:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Should have known by the high water mark! Not Martinez, by chance?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2015 08:05 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like two beauties!
Man, I'd hate to be a dude to hafta noodle one of them bitches. Id' be stickin' with bait fishin', too...
When I see catfish, I think of cornmeal & cracklin' peanut oil! Did ya get your 'fish fry' on???

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fur_n_Dirt
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted June 18, 2015 08:31 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah! Made some flatty tacos.. We had a kid's pool party and it was hit..

--------------------

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters