The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » 100 degrees (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: 100 degrees
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2015 09:24 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
We have had a ton of rain here in Central Kansas since the middle of April. All that does is make the heat index worse when we approach 100 degrees with the darn humidity. If we could skip summer, I would be a happy guy.

I mowed the lawn yesterday while it was 99 with humidity…pretty tough on a fat banker that is used to A/C every day. I can’t imagine being a mail carrier like Lance or anyone else in that works outside.

My dad worked in the oilfield for 45 years, and continually preached to me that I was going to college so I didn’t have to work in the heat and cold. I fulfilled his ultimate dream, but there are days I wish I did work outside and didn’t have to deal with the mental stress and regulations…

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2015 02:53 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I remember driving down the hill from Yucca valley to Palm springs and the temp would rise 10* or more. Then seeing all those wind mills, vanes, whatever they are called.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2015 06:26 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, you learn pretty quickly a few tricks to deal with it. I'll down a gallon-plus of ice water in a day of walking. Some idiot who works indoors designs our uniform and made our sun hats navy blue, so that was a damned bright idea. You can cook inside one of them, so I took the advice of a soldier on my route several years ago who told me to pack then inside of the crown with wet paper towels or a towel that's been soaked in water. I carry two washcloths, each in its own ziplock bag. One is in the crown of my hat and the other's in an insulated lunch bag against a frozen blu-ice cooler. I switch them out between loops. As long as you stay hydrated and keep switching out those ice rags, it ain't bad at all. When I was on all walking routes, I just bee lined THROUGH water sprinklers and got soaked down, being sure to hold that hat down where it would catch the water and get a good soaking, too. Never wrung it out. Just let it run down over me as I walked. I've got good customers on my route. Several just tell me to come on in and get a cold drink, even if they're not home. Some will leave me a Gatorade in a cooler on their porch. Very thoughtful for the mailman. And he certainly appreciates it.

[ June 29, 2015, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 30, 2015 02:28 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
I've just about had it with all this 100 degree temps, dry as a bone country and the FIRES!!!!!!
Burned out Thursday night back in the building the next morning. Don't have to worry about being burned out now for the summer.
It's going to get worse too.
Figure there is going to be a lot of acres burnt and callers being crowded up once again in the west. Since there is no coyote populations in the west now it makes it twice as hard to get ahead.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2015 08:20 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, eight straight days now of 100 or above.. [Frown]

Those late spring rains fueled cheat grass growth. Yeah, could be a bad fire year ?

Plus: the heat ruins my thirst for a good beer [Big Grin] On the other hand me & the wife just got home from grocery shopping. Picked up a twelve pack of Bud Light : Lemon-Ade-Rita. It's pretty dang refreshing ya'll might check it out.

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2015 05:57 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
It's IS going to be a bad fire season!
Already burned more acres than last year.
Oregon just burned 14k acres south of JV.
Burned 8k in Leslie Gulch.
10k acres in Sweet/Squaw Butte area.
It's just getting started

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2015 07:14 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The most worst place I ever lived was when stationed at Fort Bliss, El Paso. We had more than 30 straight days of 100* plus temperatures. Add to that, I had to hose the car every morning before driving to formation, otherwise, couldn't see out the winders. That's a lot of dust. Freaked Nanc out, she was dusting every day, hated El Paso!

By the way. Anymore, you can hardly recognize El Paso as part of the United States? Estatos Unitos de Mexico, maybe?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31467 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2015 09:13 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
30 days would suck !!

EW remember two years ago about a million acres burned between McDermitt NV and Burns Junction, Or ?

Talked to a guy from JV the other day. He says that looks like a lawn now ? BLM won't allow grazing for three years after a fire. Go figure ?

The locals are spooked it could all start over again.

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2015 11:44 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I like cheap beer drinks in the summer too Dave. The wife likes a Highlife over cracked ice, with about five limes squeezed in. My favorite is what I call a red beer, cheap assed highlife, tabasco, pepper, worschestersire sauce and four or so ounces or clamato piquante.....yum, I can drink a gallon of those when it's really hot!

[ July 04, 2015, 11:45 AM: Message edited by: Az-Hunter ]

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2015 11:58 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Strongbow; Honey / Hard Cider.
Yeah, I tried it because of the name but it's pretty tasty on a hot day.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7584 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2015 12:00 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
DA, I'm in wildland fire. So know just about what, which and where fires are at this time of season.
Those fires burned 1.5 million. Last season they burned everything north of BJ on the west side of the Owyhee river roughly speaking.
I don't know how he could say it looks like lawns down there. Maybe early early spring. lol

LB the reason I don't live in the deep SW the heat would kill me now a days.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2015 06:41 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm sure he meant spring. That's probably one dry tinderbox right now.
Prune Picker
AR Forum Assistant Moderator-handgun GURU and dispenser of sage advice
Member # 4107

Icon 1 posted July 04, 2015 08:05 PM      Profile for Prune Picker   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I have a mescan friend who went to El Paso to visit some family, his describition of living on or near Ft. Bliss was...
"VETE MIENTRAS AUN ESTAS VIVO"
" Get Out While You're Still Alive"
I think those words also apply to living in the People's Republic Of Kalifornee today.

--------------------
mike

Posts: 1265 | From: "Oklahomie" | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2015 06:53 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Vic,
Hook me up to IV with your recipe! Red beers are wonderful!

Try a bit of celery salt with your ingredients...adds a whole 'nuther layer of flavor!

In 1983, we had 45 days, I believe, of temps over 100 here in Central Kansas--worst day was 114 or 115 if I remember correctly. Followed it up with the worst winter we had in years.

I got a case of heat stroke as I was a volunteer fireman in a stubble fire in August of that year...it has affected my ability to handle the heat ever since--I hate the heat.

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters