The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Old Houses (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Old Houses
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2015 08:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
ouch! I 'spose I deserve it?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2015 09:32 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
The place I lived (*last week) was 825sq/ft. I frickin' LOVED it! [Wink]
It helped, immensely, that there was a 1200sq/ft shop downstairs and it's no small comfort that I still have a key. [Smile]

Yes, I'm moving again.

We had ghosts, at the little woman's mom's house.

One of the pieces of public land I called on in Virginia lies between two battlefields of the Civil War ...the woods there are fully haunted. [Eek!]

HIJACK! I plan on trapping and/or calling 100 foxes this coming season.

Oh yeah, hey y'all!

Krusty

P.S. Yes Tim, I have every single one of those traps, in my possession and in excellent working order, still.

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2015 10:31 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He monitors, regularly. Will be glad to know.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2015 02:42 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
If I remember right.
Micro houses are 500 sq.ft.
Small houses are under 1,000 sq. ft.
Micro is to small for me and my body I need room to relax and stretch out and I have to have my recliner.lol
Spent to many years in camp in travel trailers and other various buildings for summer work.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2015 04:19 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

We finally broke the century mark on coyotes this past season while working full time and meeting family obligations, rather than being off work and doing it as our "job". I will suggest that you either be in really good shape, or have good insurance. I was just released last week to full duty for work after recovering from the injuries I suffered from overuse during hunting season. No shit. Was not an easy feat, but we did it. 105.

Thursday night, I watched the first episode of Alone on History Channel. They're on north Vancouver Island and having a helluva time making fire with all the rain and wet. Thought about you in your old stomping grounds and wondered what you would have had to offer to the dialogue.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2015 03:17 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Spent 4yrs with my ex-girlfriend in a tiny cottage home, built in 1860. It was the size of a shoebox, 4 rooms. Kitchen & living room on 1st floor, with bed/bath up a tight spiral staircase on the 2nd.

Our landlord at the time was the town's Historical Society, and we had a long list of 'rules' to abide by to live there. We'd even have to play tour guide at our place, one weekend per year, during the Town's Historical House Tour.

That place kinda learned me about living in 'tight quarters'. Gimme a tiny home with a separate shop building for 'man shit', and I'll be smilin'!!!

Good luck shoppin'!!!

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted July 14, 2015 06:19 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Edit. Never mind I think it's going to be gone.

[ July 15, 2015, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 19, 2015 05:57 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm about ready to say screw it and find a chunk of ground. Anybody have a rough clue what a builder charges per sq ft for a semi-basic house ?

I almost hate to start calling around and get sucked up into things..Lol

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2015 07:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's about like a custom rifle build. Next year. Or so?

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Fur_n_Dirt
So. Ariz. Zone Tech. Expert
Member # 4467

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2015 10:52 AM      Profile for Fur_n_Dirt   Email Fur_n_Dirt         Edit/Delete Post 
We have friends in Tucson that built for around 120 to 130 sqft for semi custom..

Az is really not too bad.. My house hasn't gone through any acts of god which is doing pretty good considering other states!

LB, Dove mountain is nice

--------------------
--- It's all simple if you know what you are doing ---

Posts: 437 | From: Tucson | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2015 12:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Dove Mountain is very suitable for my needs. And, the affordability scale is there for just about any pocketbook if you don't need to live right on the fairway. I was really impressed with the bronze garage doors! As Arizona communities go, I have seen one or two others that almost compare. One is Oak Creek next to Sedona and the other is in Prescott Valley; but I keep coming back to Dove Mountain; has everything.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 20, 2015 06:14 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good point Leonard. Fur thanks that's kinda the dollar amount I had in mind for some reason ?

Also thanks to everyone for listening to me yo-yo the last three months.

All, I know is we need to get out. Even if it means driving into this place to work, for awhile.

It's changing fast here.

booger
TOO BIG TO FAIL
Member # 3602

Icon 1 posted August 21, 2015 05:08 AM      Profile for booger   Email booger         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave,
Construction costs here in the center of the country are just a bit, but not much, higher that what Fur is quoting.

They are currently building 10 houses in a new development here that are running around $140 to $150 per sq. ft. They are pretty vanilla, but have concrete board siding.

If you went with brick, you can count on somewhere around $200/ft. All of the houses here have full basements for a couple of reasons...tornadoes, and it doubles your square footage for about $30/ft.

Take it from someone that is in the middle of a 13 year renovation--BUILD IF YOU CAN!!!

I could have had the same size house for about 40% less money than what I have wrapped up in my current home. That is not to say I can't get my money out of my house, but I could have spent the last 6 years or so sitting on the back porch drinking a toddy rather than dreading what was next on the list to do/fix...

Good luck on your decision!

[ August 21, 2015, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: booger ]

--------------------
If we ever forget we are one Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under--Ronald Reagan

Posts: 911 | From: Bob Dole Country | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2015 12:00 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, Tim. Code changes alone from when a house was built to now are enough to drive you crazy. I am lucky in that the lady I bought my house from dated a contractor who pretty much went all through this place and set things right. Not a big house (~1500 sq ft) and 40% of it is in the basement - all finished - which we like (cooler in the summer), and it's paid for. Paid 76,500 for it and the market value on it ten years later is right at $105k and all I've really done is paint, landscaping and shutters. Building a new addition right off my back fence. Three BR 2BA smaller homes (1500 sf) with unfinished basements and safe rooms going for right at $180k. Built from scratch with all modern amenities. Beautiful inside. No buyers for the two they've built because of the economy. They are a transition zone from highway commercial to the high end development to the NE of me where 5-6BR/ 3BA homes with 3000+sf are selling at upwards of $400,000. Some of those barns would go for $2 million in LB Land. Best part? All the luxuries of living in town (water/ sewer) and can still be in the country inside five minutes.

[ August 22, 2015, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2015 02:25 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you Lance on getting your "crib" paid for.

Yeah I think a new ~1500 sq ft house here is about 180k also. No basement. You'll only find basements in older houses around here.

That's the thing. I ain't got too far to go too get mine paid off. Well here we are going to look @ a 200k place tonight. Gulp that's means more debt.

But, hey it has a finished basement !!

[ August 22, 2015, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2015 02:45 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't own a house in Kansas, or anywhere in flyover country, without a basement or safe room. When I was single and it was only me, I chased storms. Now that I have "dependants", they make me nervous. Those Okies are friggin' nuts, with no basements and all.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2015 03:16 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Do most folks have metal roofs in your country ?

I would assume so ?

Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2015 02:17 AM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like you been cautioned on most everything . So I will add only that I love the drive thru garage door on the house on Elm as well as the green house and hoseable kennel.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2015 06:08 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What about those "manufactured" homes? Driving around areas, (not here), you learn to recognize the shape, sitting on a concrete slab, no wheels. I imagine they are built to mobile home specs.? I suppose there is still a lot you can do with a rectangular floor plan? I know they seemed to be a big deal up in Cor delane? I can never learn to spell that beautiful city?

Anyway, I think you can drop one on your own lot for less than $80,000?

Good hunting. El Bee

edit: come to think of it, Tim Behle's place in McNeal was a manufactured home, set on a big lot out in the flats. Plenty big enough.

[ August 23, 2015, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2015 06:27 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
"Do most folks have metal roofs in your country ?"

Actually, Dave, there are just now starting to be a few homes where those have been used. Three years ago, my town was hit by a hail storm that dropped softball sized hail for three minutes. Literally every roof in town was replaced. A few people went with the steel, smooth roofing panels that allow for snow to slide off. For them most part, every home has composite shingles.

Leonard, we have a manufactured home company in the area that builds houses in components and trucks it to your site. The entire house is built to site-built specs complete with 2x6 walls. Once they're on the foundation, you cannot tell them from a site built home. Not many slab homes around here, even for manufactured homes.
Kinda interesting how codes vary from place to place. We had a squall line pass through about midnight last night preceded by 80 mph straight line winds for most of fifteen minutes. Power was out for most of an hour. Thought the entire damned world was coming through the north window on my dining room, but only have limbs down. Lotsa tree damage around town, but didn't see any actual structural damage. Saw the same types of winds hit the upper midwest last year and had roofs torn off.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2015 01:21 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this guy that owned the property we hunted in the St. Francis Hunt, one year. He had a manufactured home with a basement.

The basement was devoted, damned near the entire length, to (what else?) AR15's. Stacked upright, like at a gunshop. I couldn't guess how many, but will try: 25-30?

Good thing he didn't ask what I thought of his treasures. Oh well, everybody has a dream. ha This was in extreme central/eastern Colorado, practically throw a rock into Kansas.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2015 09:57 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, for those wringing their hands wondering what I've been up to. Lol time for an update I 'spose

Got my house listed @ the end of August, accepted an offer Wednesday. The buyers home inspector is coming tomorrow so if that all goes good, which I can't imagine any problems. I guess my house is sold. Never done this before.

Looked @ this crib yesterday. This is probably the one & going to make an offer today or tomorrow.

I need input from my friends.
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/Wilder-ID/pmf,pf_pt/72350412_zpid/15921_rid/2-_beds/1-_baths/43.723226,-116.689911,43.517435,-117.172623_rect/10_zm/?3col=true

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2015 12:50 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Fireplace ????

Looks nice even though it's on a small lot.

Questions to ponder;
(1) Can you sit on your patio and listen to your music without bothering your neighbors ??
(2) Can you pee off of your porch without bothering your neighbors ??
(3) Can you shoot off of your back deck without bothering your neighbors ??

Or..............Do you need to be further on down a dirt road ???

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2015 02:07 PM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Nope on the fireplace. There is a guy next door, but that's about it, as far as neighbors go.

So yes I think to everything else.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 04, 2015 02:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed at how much house you can buy for $150,000! Said with total sincerity.

Now, some of you guys might know Tom Moore, who's house burned down probably four years ago in Poway, CA, not far from San Diego. He has/or had, I don't know if it's sold or not, 17 acres and the rebuilt house was right at 7,000 sq. ft. I'm sure it's worth millions. Anyway, he bought a place in Idaho and might be moved by now? I think he said it was Meridian? Comes with a lot of water rights for, I think he said $900,000? Said the house was nothing special, but that might be by Poway standards?

But, for the rest of us, I just bought a very ordinary house in Yucca Valley about three months ago for $100,000. Been spending a lot of time up there, but have no plans to up and move, at this time. Still wish Dove Mountain would materialize in the not too distant future.

Looks like a good deal, Dave

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters