The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Member forum   » Old Houses (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Old Houses
Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2015 09:52 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I've always heard of folks spending two hours and such, to get too work ?

I can't imagine that ?

That would be like living in Twin Falls, Idaho, Or say Baker City, Oregon. and driving to where, I live, work. Nampa Idaho..

I understand why people do it though..

[ June 19, 2015, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2015 02:40 PM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
New Plymouth isn't bad other than the FOG!
Skeeters.
They look nice, but no matter what I can't live in town even if it's small like N.P.
Yes! smaller houses are better, easier to clean, heat and keep cool.
Good luck on your choice. Moving is hard after ten or more years of do you like this area or that one. Way to many houses our new place jumped out at us and it's brand new 781sq.ft. Built by a really good builder probably over built but I won't have to worry about keeping warm this winter. We stayed in Idaho but not ready to let the world know the spot we went to.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2015 06:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a remark, in conversation earthwalker, no putdown intended, but, my family room is 800 sq ft. I absolutely see the charm and practicality of a small house.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2015 08:22 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Both Abilene and Kansas are the sorts of places more urbanized folks like to make fun of. That's okay, if that's what keeps them away. I can't say that I've ever lived in a bigger house, and never wanted to. I'm what you might call very practical when it comes to money. Dad told me that mom once said she could give all three of us $5 at sunrise and by noon, my brother and sister would both be broke by lunch while I'd likely die with $4.95 left over. I've always been of a mind that the more you have, the more you need to maintain, and that costs money, too. My house is a 4 bed (2 non-compliant), 2 full baths, family room, living room, dining room, and kitchen, all adding up to just north of 1500 sf, with 600+ of that below ground and finished. Bills are reasonable, as are the taxes. Plenty of room for the missus and me, along with our daughter and two dogs. 8,000 people in this 'burg, and stable. My house was just shown to be worth right over 100k, not counting the hottub and landscaping work. Stand at my back fence and you can see the backyards of much nicer homes and wave at folks paying taxes on $400,000+ homes, which, in Kansas is palatial. My commute to work is sixteen blocks, all paved. Takes me four minutes if I catch a red light. Once told that you can't lose any investment with real estate. Saw a lot of people do that the past ten years. Live a block from a school, four blocks from groceries, and can walk a hundred yards from my back fence to a restaurant. The fire department can be here in less than three minutes, same for EMS. City water, and sewer, no well, no septic system. Sitting on one of the highest points in town, so let it rain, let it rain. And, with that, if I want to be in the country, it takes me two turns, and five minutes. Plenty of reasons to not like this town, but several more in its favor. No mountains to look at, but then again, I've had coyotes walk down my front street.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
earthwalker
Cultural Editor & middleweight arm wrestling champion/Intermountain Region
Member # 4177

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2015 04:21 AM      Profile for earthwalker           Edit/Delete Post 
No offense taken LB.
Right now living in a totally wore out mobile home right around 700 sq.ft. But can't keep warm in it.
I see these million sq ft type homes in Boise and wonder how they can afford them heat them and pay taxes on them.

--------------------
another long hot smoky summer coming

Posts: 1105 | From: Intermountain region | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2015 05:48 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Your family room is 800 sq ft.? My whole 3 br house is about 1400. I thought about going smaller, buying/building a 2 br out west when I retire.

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2015 06:20 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else seen those micro-homes? Where you can lay in a very comfy bed and make coffee on the stove or watch the big screen at your feet? There is a house on my mail route that might be 500 sf. Probably a hundred years old. I know the guy that owns it - uses it for storage. Every time I go by it, I wonder how hard it would be to move it and redo the interior into a really nice cabin/home. Leave the outside looking like shit so no one will mess with it, but fix up the inside really nice. Just thinking out loud.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2015 07:02 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago, a family wedding in Chicago suburbs, Stickney, actually. They have what are called shotgun houses. Not sure how the joke goes, something like firing a round at the front door would kill anybody inside due to the narrow and long construction.

I remember coming in for a landing, the large number of pools down there. But they were all round Doughboys. Also met some real Pollocks, and Bohemians. As with most everything in that metropolitan area, parts of town are clearly divided along ethnic lines. But, Nanc was from LaGrange Park, (very nice) and her grandfather was Mayor for many years.

The high school I went to had around 2,000 students, and there were only four that had a "ski" at the end of their last names. I never did know much about Poles.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2015 08:04 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my grandfathers left Bohemia back in 1890's to come to America. Him and my grandmother always called it "the old country". I think it is the Czech republic or something like that now. Had 5 kids in a one bedroom house. My mother grew up in a 2 BR house, she had 5 brothers and a sister. Can't imagine doing that now.

Edited to add,

My best friends back in the 70's were Dagos, and Polacks. Bohunks, Italians and Polacks, some German Irish too, what a mix we were.

[ June 20, 2015, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------

DanS
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2015 08:16 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I think a term used here was "cacker box" cookie cutter houses.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2015 09:43 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
EW, 800 sq ft house. I can dig it, I've actually thought about that. If it were up to me an 800 sq ft house and a 1500 sq foot shop/garage would be perfect !!
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2015 10:06 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh' yeah. That's another thing country living. I have found some places on an acre surrounded by farm country, the wife doesn't like the houses though ?

I still like the house in New Plymouth. I hate the fog of southern Idaho winters for sure. It just doesn't appear to be in the cards to totally pull out of here. Payette county is more laid back and would provide relief from what Ada county has become (Boise) and what Canyon county is becoming.

Kinda like what Lance was saying about Abilene Ks. It's small there's a NAPA store, bar, steakhouse all within walking distance and of course the Pilgrim market [Big Grin]

Probably the reason for hesitation @ this point is the neighborhood to be completely honest. I mean it's Ok, but there's some kinda weird areas behind the house. Hey, I'm laid back whatever. But, some guys can't mow their yard ? really ?

You have to park in the front lawn ? Then the place next door in these examples will be perfect. Go figure..

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2015 10:08 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
The first house we bought was listed as a "cracker box" according to the realtor. That house is 130 years old now. Very simple design. Two bedrooms upstairs, two big rooms downstairs - the LR and the kitchen, with a staircase splitting the rooms right up the middle. Any steeper and our stairs would have been a ladder. At the time of construction, there were no indoor facilities, so the bath was an outhouse. Our house had an addition built on the backside with a laundry room and bathroom.

This house was old, but solidly built. Flat topped roof and the walls to the second floor bedrooms were slightly angled in to follow the roofline. Bigger versions of the same house all over town are proudly listed as being on the National Registry of Historic Homes. Ours wasn't. LOL

What is was, though, and another aspect of old homes is that they can be and sometimes are haunted. That word has negative connotations, but ours did have something or someone else living there, if you will. At night, when all was calm, you could hear footsteps going from the living room through the kitchen to the back mudroom area. If you were downstairs, you wouldn't hear anything. Yet, from the upstairs bedrooms, it was plain as day. Also, several days a week, while working in the basement, I would routinely hear heavy foot falls going up the stairs from the first to the second floors. You couldn't miss them, they were really very loud. Happened regular as clockwork. Had a buddy over one day when it happened. Freaked his shit out, LOL. We just grew to be used to them. My son woke up one night and watched the silhouettes of two guys having a shoving match on our front porch but no one was there. No sound. we routinely had light bulbs burn out and motion activated light switches were always lighting the place up at night. The abstract showed our house first owned by Joseph McCoy, founder of Abilene, deeded to him by the Territory of Kansas. Our yard was part of the cattle yards at the Chisholm Trail trailhead. Who knows who or what it is walking around in that house, but it was there, sure enough. Old houses are a hoot.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2015 10:32 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe ya Lance. We lived in a haunted duplex in Gresham Oregon, when I was a kid.

I don't know what happened there, but something was up. We stayed six months until the lease was up and got the hell out of there !!

We would come home and books would be scattered all over the place, refrigerator pulled out, one time my mom opened up a cubbard (sp) door and all the glasses came flying out. None broke though ?

We had an old heavy dresser drawer flip over once. My brother was a baby crawling around. It missed him though.

Not tryin' to get weird or anything, but super natural, haunted or whatever is real.

[ June 20, 2015, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2015 06:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's enough for me! I'm staying the hell out of Oregon!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2015 07:52 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Ours was really never a problem for us, Dave. My daughter is a paranormal nut and she explained to us that what we had there was what is called a residual haunting - essentially a looped energy that repeats itself at the same time each day. if there is an "entity" there, it is theorized that they are not aware of us. If something happens like you describe, they call that an intelligent haunting where the "entity" can interact with real world people. I was a huge skeptic about ghosts, or whatever you call them, but living in that house showed me some things that were inexplicable. We tried our best to debunk them by looking bat settling, etc., but it was always the same time of day and in the same place. When we moved into our current home, the wife very quickly commented that this house felt different than then old one - that it didn't feel like someone else was there with you even when you were alone. The last thing I need is a ghost watching me sit on the crapper.

--------------------

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2015 08:05 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
That's very interesting Lance. We were kinda thinking some kind of tremors or something were taking place under the property ?

Dad was out of town a lot, when Mom started hearing voices, all it ever said was hello as far as I know ? That was it, we pulled the plug and just paid another month's rent or 1/2 or something ? and left.

We moved to a house outside of Sandy, great area BTW..No more problems, weird shit for sure ?

[ June 21, 2015, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Dave Allen ]

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2015 08:08 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I often trade lunches with a real Mexican that I work with.
I'm pretty sure that I could sit on the crapper and drive a ghost out of the house.
"In the name of the green chili & bean burro......I banish thee !!!!!"

[Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2015 08:11 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good one.. [Big Grin]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2015 09:00 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not calling bullshit on haunted houses...but I find occasional unnerving goings on, in wilderness. Spooky, sometimes.

This happened one dark and stormy night, lol. There we were, really overcast, new moon, pitch fucking dark and a light rain falling. Miles off the pavement, had been hunting, but about now, Pat was snoozing in the front seat and I was sitting on the tail gate. I mean, this literally was one of those times where you couldn't see your hand in front of your face!

So, there I was sitting there and started to hallucinate. I thought I saw ghosts, white forms and some movement, didn't freak me out, just a little curious because I had been up all night, and this is what happens when you are well into a second day of no sleep.

Anyway, to make a long story shorter, suddenly I damned near literally shit my pants when I was touched on the leg!

Maybe all these things have a logical explanation? This was a cow, (a black cow, with some white markings on the face) that might have been lost? She was walking up the road which we were blocking due to much overgrowth on the sides. I think she smelled me, maybe?

But, for a second, I damned near had a heart attack! Never forget that one!

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2015 09:28 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Good one Leonard !!

I remember one time after working the last stand until it was to dark to see. I stumbled my way back and found my pickup.

Decided to unwind and have a beer. It seemed like a good idea to blow my howler and see if anything would answer. A few minutes later all I heard was a deep growl.. CLOSE BY !! I about shit, it was to dark to see anything.

Ah' good times !!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2015 09:43 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah? Ever have a drunk indian fall against your arm out the drivers window? In the dark, while blowing a call? To be precise, a squaw. Neat way to meet friends.

Good hunting. El Bee

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Member # 3102

Icon 7 posted June 21, 2015 10:06 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's a tough one to top !!
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 21, 2015 01:49 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
That shit happens all the time. Next!

--------------------

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted June 22, 2015 06:24 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
My reloading room is 850 sq/ft.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters